How does Astro fly straight?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Lily
Banned

How does Astro fly straight?

Postby Lily » 7 years ago

I haven't found a thread relating to this, so I thought I'd make one. (Sorry if there is one already ;; )

I've always wondered how Astro flies straight? his jets are in his legs, and although he has them in his arms too, he doesn't always use them, nor are they always at full power.

How does he keep his body straight, since there's nothing in the middle to balance him? is there some kind of lock he engages to sort of turn himself into a rocket?

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 7 years ago

I think his propulsion is just way off the charts that allows him to fly as a rocket :unsure: It also might just very well be one of those things that is either "accept it as true and move on scifi/fantasy logic" or "the technology he is built of is so beyond our own there is something in the works that allows him to do the things he does even if they do not make sense"

Lily
Banned

Yeah, that's one way of looking at it. ^_^ Thing is with this stuff I like to try and make sense of it, so I was thinking there'd either be some kind of lock, or a centre of gravity balancer, or robot muscles. :-p

Or "accept it and move on because scifi physics" like you said, that works too.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 7 years ago

My guess is he has some kind of internal accelerometers and balance guages, and makes micro adjustments to his leg angles.

What I always wondered was how he avoids leaving burn marks everywhere he takes off from. :shifty:

Lily
Banned

"DrFrag" wrote:My guess is he has some kind of internal accelerometers and balance guages, and makes micro adjustments to his leg angles.

What I always wondered was how he avoids leaving burn marks everywhere he takes off from. :shifty:

I never even thought about that! Maybe everything is magically fireproof? :p

Or maybe it's like, flames, but cold? I dunno. Cold flames obviously aren't a thing, but again, this is probably a case of "because we can, that's why".

I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but when his jets fail/he breaks down for some reason mid-flight, he doesn't remain straight.

It could very well be a conscious adjustment to the way he is angled during flight, and allows for a conscious execution of a "lock" to make some sense. If he had accelerometers and balance gauges, he'd remain stiff as he was in flight, unless those too are consciously operated.

Edit: Well, I'll be darned. Cool flames are a thing :/
Last edited by Lily on Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 7 years ago

Sometimes, but not always, he has his arms along his sides angled out like a delta wing fighter. I imagine that he's using his arms as airfoils (IE: wings). Other wise, his body must act like an airfoil, sort of like NASA's M2-F2 lifting body, (the same X-plane that the 6 million dollar man crashed).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_M2-F2

He uses his head like a rudder (which is exactly what birds do). Of course you could ask how did the rocketeer (Disney movie) flight straight, but his rocket pack was on his back for more balanced thrust.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

cybotron
Robot Revolutionary

Postby cybotron » 7 years ago

Attachments
2000px-En_Gimbaled_thrust_diagram.svg.jpg
2000px-En_Gimbaled_thrust_diagram.svg.jpg (157 Bytes) Viewed 2609 times
Last edited by cybotron on Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[sigpic]http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=200&dateline=1323970671[/sigpic]Safe :ninja:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 7 years ago

When I was in college physics class, I learned that the lab instructor had worked with WVB on the Apollo rockets. He explained that they do not fly like this:

----->

but, rather like this:

~~~~~>

That is, the exhausts are mounted on gimbals and are constantly making minute adjustments; the result of which, is that the rockets appear to be flying in a straight line.

Error correction: there were comparators checking to ensure that both circuits, the one controlling the gimbals and a reference one were giving the same result. If not, switch to a 3rd, for which there was no backup. :ninja: Odds of mission failure: 1:10,000; not really all that good, if you ask me.

Anyway, to me the big question is, how does Atom fly level without any wings or other lifting surface? :lol: It must be the power of MANGA/ANIME! :D

Lily
Banned

"jeffbert" wrote:When I was in college physics class, I learned that the lab instructor had worked with WVB on the Apollo rockets. He explained that they do not fly like this:

----->

but, rather like this:

~~~~~>

That is, the exhausts are mounted on gimbals and are constantly making minute adjustments; the result of which, is that the rockets appear to be flying in a straight line.

Error correction: there were comparators checking to ensure that both circuits, the one controlling the gimbals and a reference one were giving the same result. If not, switch to a 3rd, for which there was no backup. :ninja: Odds of mission failure: 1:10,000; not really all that good, if you ask me.

Anyway, to me the big question is, how does Atom fly level without any wings or other lifting surface? :lol: It must be the power of MANGA/ANIME! :D

I didn't know that about the rockets, that's pretty cool and good to know.

I guess to your question about his level flying, he often uses his arms as wings to flank himself, and with his arms out in front of him that might be his way of shifting his centre of gravity, giving his head/shoulders the balancing point rather than his midsection would be if he were to use his arm jets to boost his speed.

That's only just another thought I had, though.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”