What were your feeling when you watched the Astro Boy 2003 series

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
racoonangel
Robot President

What were your feeling when you watched the Astro Boy 2003 series

Postby racoonangel » 11 years ago

Whenever Astro got hurt my stomah would drop or skip a beat I was soo worried for him. I really understtod his feeling somethimes it was hard fitting in sometimes I feel that way but here I know I fit in. I had alot of different feelings for Astro when I was watchin the 2003 series.
Instagram: astrogirl_draws
I LOVE ASTRO BOY!!

Fuzzy Pickles!
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Fuzzy Pickles! » 11 years ago

When I first watched the 1st episode of the 2003 series on Toonami (haven't seen anything else), I was really interested in the franchise. Now with hearing how much of a dud the dub is, I'm just waiting until either the show is streamed uncut with English subs (unlikely) or I can get the money to buy the Japanese DVDs.

Toshio
Banned

Postby Toshio » 11 years ago

I honestly loved that version and even more when I watched the original version which is much superior to the dub.

Hope they make a blu-ray re-release^^

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

The 2003 series was different in that they wrapped a global story arc around it, but still had complete story lines in most of the individual episodes. I was a bit unprepared for the treatment of Dr. Tenma though. Was the Blue Knight character unique this series? I don't recall seeing him in the Dark Horse manga, though I haven't read all of them (just about half actually). I last saw the 2003 series when it was on Hulu. I'd like to watch it again.

Toshio
Banned

Postby Toshio » 11 years ago

"kscharf" wrote:The 2003 series was different in that they wrapped a global story arc around it, but still had complete story lines in most of the individual episodes. I was a bit unprepared for the treatment of Dr. Tenma though. Was the Blue Knight character unique this series? I don't recall seeing him in the Dark Horse manga, though I haven't read all of them (just about half actually). I last saw the 2003 series when it was on Hulu. I'd like to watch it again.

He was in the 1963 series and Mangá.

In 1980's, Atlas was merged with the character of Blue Knight and was the reason he wield swords.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 11 years ago

"kscharf" wrote:The 2003 series was different in that they wrapped a global story arc around it, but still had complete story lines in most of the individual episodes. I was a bit unprepared for the treatment of Dr. Tenma though. Was the Blue Knight character unique this series? I don't recall seeing him in the Dark Horse manga, though I haven't read all of them (just about half actually). I last saw the 2003 series when it was on Hulu. I'd like to watch it again.

Actually, the whole show is up (dub only) on Youtube through Crackle if you're interested.

So what did I feel when watching the 2003 series?

Joy
Excitement
the feeling of being blown away by everything

I think that's how I can best describe it

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

Absolutely thrilled that almost 50 years after I lost Astro Boy, I had whole new episodes to see (of course I didn't see the 2003 version until 2009 on Hulu).

It was incredible to see how they chose to update his character and that blend of Art Deco with high-tech for a look. I actually really like the over-arching story, but had wished they could have continued the series beyond that year. I'm a little unhappy with how they portrayed Tenma, (that "king of robots" thing) but for the most part I enjoyed it. (and yes, I wasn't happy about some of the goofy names).

I really enjoyed Astro's friends playing a part, and the addition of Reno. Uran was more interesting as a character (just that odd name that bugged me)
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

"Prettywitchiusaka" wrote:[QUOTE=kscharf;206621]The 2003 series was different in that they wrapped a global story arc around it, but still had complete story lines in most of the individual episodes. I was a bit unprepared for the treatment of Dr. Tenma though. Was the Blue Knight character unique this series? I don't recall seeing him in the Dark Horse manga, though I haven't read all of them (just about half actually). I last saw the 2003 series when it was on Hulu. I'd like to watch it again.

Actually, the whole show is up (dub only) on Youtube through Crackle if you're interested.

So what did I feel when watching the 2003 series?

Joy
Excitement
the feeling of being blown away by everything

I think that's how I can best describe it[/QUOTE]

I checked directly on Crackle and it wasn't there. BUT someone DID post the English dubbed version up on Youtube. At least till the DMCA cops figure it out. I just saw episode 2, which was the one in this poster http://www.dan-dare.org/FreeFun/Images/Archive/AstroboyWallpaper1024.jpg.

Also, Viki has the '80 version subbed.
Last edited by Tetsuwan Penguin on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

racoonangel
Robot President

Postby racoonangel » 11 years ago

Thank you
Instagram: astrogirl_draws
I LOVE ASTRO BOY!!

BBally
Metro City Citizen

Postby BBally » 11 years ago

I've seen an Arabic dub of the English of the 2003 anime (which is a rarity since most animes are translated from it's original source) when it aired on MBC3, I remember being really impressed by the animation which I don't think any made for TV anime title has achieved before or since. I thought the show was pretty good despite the dub messing some things up that I wondered how good its original Japanese version is.

And luckily enough, I downloaded the original Japanese version with English subtitles (not sure if I'm allowed to say from which site so I won't until someone says otherwise) and I'm up to the Jumbo episode. So far if it continues to impress me I might consider the 2003 version to be my favorite anime series period, it hits the right cord for me, the animation is top notch, it stars my favorite anime character (Astro or Atom), it has a lot of giant robots (I'm a huge old school mecha anime geek), I'm also a fan of superheroes and Astro could be considered one, I love the True Blue song, while it uses Tezuka's designs, there are characters who are given a more modern look, which works especially the female and young men characters.
Badre El Amir Bally

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”