Why didn't Tezuka create characters who look Japanese?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
AprilSeven
Silent Song

Why didn't Tezuka create characters who look Japanese?

Postby AprilSeven » 14 years ago

I wonder if this was to make everything more "internationally appealing" or look more "Disneyesque."

May have missed a thread here that discussed that, so sorry if I'm being redundant! It's especially noticeable in the Pluto manga -- where other characters based in Japan (but not created originally by Tezuka) are drawn with Asian features.

I'd also love to know how to pronounce names like Ochanomizu. I found out I was referring to manga as "main-guh" instead of "mahn-gah." (my New Yawk way of thinking, I guess).

I can't figure out this guy's name for the life of me ---> :hyo:

:) this forum is like Astro Boy University!

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 14 years ago

Hmmmm, that is a question. I'm not actually sure. I always thought they did look Japanese but then you mention it I'm not sure what to think lol.

I guess they have that anime look to them, but, meep i'm so confused.

That piggy thing however, he's a Hyotantsugi. Tezuka has him appear in his work all over the place, sometimes when a scene gets too serious or he wants to lighten the mood. The pig chibi was actually a drawing his sister did when she was little, if i'm correct.

Now you know the truth April watch out, THEY'RE COMING TO GET YOU! :lol:

:hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo:

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 14 years ago

Compared to Dragonball, Tezuka's characters are very occidental-looking.

"AprilSeven" wrote:I'd also love to know how to pronounce names like Ochanomizu.

You pronounce it as it is written :D Well, almost :p
o-tcha-no-mi-zoo (although it might actually be dzoo, not sure about this one)
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

As I understand it, Tezuka was a great devotee of Disney - supposedly he saw Pinocchio and Bambi nearly 80 times each - and he modeled his characters after the Disney style. He also liked Betty Boop and the comic strip Bringing Up Father (by George McManus). Here's a sample of the strip:

Every artist has his influences. And, just like Tezuka was influenced by Disney, other artists were influenced by Tezuka. The "big-eyed" type of character is still popular in manga today. :)

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

In 'Tezuka,' I believe the 'u' is silent: 'Tezka.' He actually did create a few characters with East-Asian features, 1 is -- I cannot recall his name, but wait until I turn on my desktop, then I will post it.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Astro Lab 101 continues

Hyotantsugi = Hi-oh-tant-soogy?

Okay, so we can all see why his SISTER didn't become the famous artist (I'm always concerned about all those BANDAGES!). :p

But now that I understand his purpose, think it's funny to see how often he turns up (is THAT he or a she -- no wait, I don't wanna go there!) :eek:

I still don't "get" why he'd create characters who look so European or American, when his story is set in Japan (I came all this time believing it was set in New York). In fact, I have what is probably one of The Right Stuf's original publications (1989), an Astro Boy :shifty: Episode Guide -- and it says the story was set in New York in the year 2000. Maybe that was the intent of Fred Ladd? I'm gonna see if I can find that thing, scan it and post it.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 14 years ago

It's all because of his natural style of Disney-Fleischer-esque eyes, and I'd say from experience that it's hard to render Asian eyes with a style like that. I started working on a TV concept called "The 27 Ghosts of Endo", and with an Asian main character, the real problem was actually making the poor guy look Asian.

(On the matter of Fred Ladd's guide...Astro Boy was always originally set in Tokyo. Ladd did take a lot of liberties on the background of many of his dubs, particularly in Tetsujin 28/Gigantor. Originally, it was set after WWII in the middle of Tokyo, and the main character's giant robot was a failed weapon made by his father. In Gigantor, the boy, his "uncle" (formerly his father's assistant), a spy and a police officer all live on a tropical island and the giant robot is...just there.)
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

AprilSeven
Silent Song

You make some interesting points, Fauna. I wonder if Tezuka ever experimented with making Astro, look more ethnically accurate. I happen to think he'd be adorable.

Or even "blended" -- one of my friends is Korean/Irish and her sons are gorgeous.

In the Pluto manga, he seems to "hint" at their true backgrounds -- especially when Uran comments that "humans make the weirdest faces" and scrunches her features into an expression that is Japanese.

http://view.thespectrum.net/series/pluto-volume-8.html?ch=Volume+03&page=17

Come to think of it...remember when Disney "broke new ground" with Pocahontas and Alladin? I think we -- as people -- are much more responsive to the unique beauty in the characteristics of the different races of humanity. I wonder -- if Tezuka were creating Astro Boy today, if he'd just make him a cute little Japanese child.

Ohhh somebody draw that!!! :-D
Last edited by AprilSeven on Sun May 09, 2010 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

"jeffbert" wrote:In 'Tezuka,' I believe the 'u' is silent: 'Tezka.' He actually did create a few characters with East-Asian features, 1 is -- I cannot recall his name, but wait until I turn on my desktop, then I will post it.

Yes, you're correct about 'Tezka' (sounds eerily like another genius - Tesla)

Heard an interview on Right Stuf's website with Fred Schodt, and that's how they pronounced it.

Tesla > Tezuka > :tenma: !

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

Yes, Tezuka was a big fan of Disney and Fleicher and this fandom shows in his art style.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”