Why can't Uran fly?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 19 years ago

Watching a 2003 episode in which Uran was jealous of Astro's powers made me wonder. Is there any reason why Uran can't fly and has "only" half of Astro's strenght?

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 19 years ago

Good Thought. I suppose Tezuka just didn't wanted her to steal Astro's show.
After all, she's Astro's little sister and she has to behave that way - psychical as well as physical.
But yeah, just imagine our cute lil' Uran flying around smashing Goliaths, Golans, Brutons and Frankensteins. This defiantely would go into the history of female's equality.
B)
Poor Astro would become 2nd rate compared to his sis. :(
「頼むから、仕事をさせてくれ」
- 手塚治虫先生の最後の言葉

adrian _68
Robot President

Postby adrian _68 » 19 years ago

I believe it is because of the difference of the capabilities of Dr. Tenma and Dr. Ochanomizu. If you will recall, Uran was patterned to the design of Astro and as we all know Dr. Tenma created Astroboy, the greatest robot ever to be created. He was the only one who had this idea of robots having hearts and the only who was able to do it for the first time. For Dr. Ocahnomizu, he only revived Astro and somehow studied him to create Uran. Just a proposition. :D But if Astro just trained her sister to fight, I think she will be a great help around. Remember in one episode that she was able to carry that big playground thingy when she and Astro are bickering about something.

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 19 years ago

Originally posted by adrian _68@May 19 2005, 12:46 PM
I believe it is because of the difference of the capabilities of Dr. Tenma and Dr. Ochanomizu. If you will recall, Uran was patterned to the design of Astro and as we all know Dr. Tenma created Astroboy, the greatest robot ever to be created. He was the only one who had this idea of robots having hearts and the only who was able to do it for the first time. For Dr. Ocahnomizu, he only revived Astro and somehow studied him to create Uran. Just a proposition. :D

Sure that Ochanomizu/Elefun/O'Shay/whatever his name was the one to use Astro's plans to create some kind of copy, and therefore failing to do it as good as the original, but if I made such a great work, I think I would more easily fail on the kokoro part rather than in the jet designs or horsepower ;)
Just a thought :D
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 19 years ago

Originally posted by Astro forever@May 19 2005, 12:26 AM
Watching a 2003 episode in which Uran was jealous of Astro's powers made me wonder. Is there any reason why Uran can't fly and has "only" half of Astro's strenght?

There was 1 episode in the 60s in which she did fly. I have some pics, & will post a few soon. :lol:

Astro Forever
Administrator

Strange Wings, I also think that's probably the reason. I guess I was more wondering if the manga or some series had an explanation for it somewhere. I only heard about Cobalt but wouldn't it have been easier to just add jets and horsepowers in Uran than to create a new robot? I would also expect the kokoro part to be the hardest thing to do! :)

However, I can understand Ochanomizu not giving Uran Astro's power from the beginning. She mess up enough things the way she was, I'd rather not imagine what she would have done with lasers and jets! :unsure:

jeffbert, I do want to see your pics! :wahah: Thank you!

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 19 years ago

Actually in the episode where she had jet power, she did quite good. When Astro lost his jet power in a fight, Uran grabed onto him so he could use her jets and he continued the fight, then she later gave him her jet power and energy. She used her powers just like Astro does, to help others. :lol: Go Uran!

In the same series(the 60's) Cobalt got jet attatchments to his boots, and he was able to help Astro on a number of missions. Go Cobalto! :lol:

Astro Forever
Administrator

I always wondered why Uran didn't give her energy cassette to Astro when he needed it in the 80s, like in the Secret of Bee City or in Uran's quest... ;)

So, Atoman, you mean Cobalt couldn't always fly? I thought he could.

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 19 years ago

Originally posted by Astro forever@May 20 2005, 06:04 AM
I always wondered why Uran didn't give her energy cassette to Astro when he needed it in the 80s, like in the Secret of Bee City or in Uran's quest... ;)

The best example of Uran's unselfishness to her brother shows up in 'The Death Balloon'. Here she provides some of her essential parts to Dr. Elefun for reparing Astro, being aware that she'll be out of order til she gets her replacement parts.
This scene affects me everytime. :cry:

As for Cobalt, I also thought he was always able to fly... the vertical way, that is. :D
「頼むから、仕事をさせてくれ」

- 手塚治虫先生の最後の言葉

Big Astro Fan
Robot President

Postby Big Astro Fan » 19 years ago

Who made Cobalt? And why was he created?

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”