Any other Doctor Who fans?

Off topic discussion.
sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Any other Doctor Who fans?

Postby sgupta » 14 years ago

Hey all!

Astro's one of the few characters I've really fallen in love with very quickly, and it's a love I know will last (hopefully a lifetime). Few other things have that power over me, but one of my other great loves is The Doctor. If you're not familiar, he's an alien (Time Lord) who travels through space and time, which probably sounds dull if you're not familiar with it, but it's anything but (and anything but what you'd expect also). Wondering if there are any other Doctor Who fans on here?

I started being a whovian in 2005 when I watched the first season of the new series (brought back to television after ceasing in the late 80's and 90's, but not a remake, a continuation) and I've been onboard with it (and the spinoffs - Torchwood and the Sarah Jane Adventures) ever since. Very quirky, entertaining, fun, and I almost think could be compatible with the Astro Boy universe. I can certainly see Astro being an ally of The Doctor, and for a while (he still pops up now and again), The Doctor of old had a robotic dog companion, K-9.

At any rate, Astro fans might want to check it out. It's from the BBC and clever, funny, very VERY ambitious and big, with great character design and great writing. It's also a little campy (which I like) and is a slight acquired taste, but it only took me one episode. =oP Another interesting fact - the original Doctor Who *also* aired the first time on TV in 1963, the same year as the astro boy anime. I'm just starting to get into the classic series now - there's sooOo much (some even lost, but there are reconstructions at least for most of that). ^.^

drakeshe
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby drakeshe » 14 years ago

Go Doctor Who! Woooo. I'm currently watching the new series season 3 on TV.
New Astroboy Forum Design - Preview

Add me on MSN: drakeshe[at]hotmail.com

dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 14 years ago

Tom Baker was the quintesential Doctor and Rise of the Darleks is the all time best episode ever made!

General Neider is a bad guy Astro has to face off against one day!!

*Chick-a-dee
Kokoro Robot

Postby *Chick-a-dee » 14 years ago

Since my mother loved Doctor Who as a child, I also started watching the series at a young age (starting with the Ninth Doctor). This is also how I was introduced to Astro Boy. c:
I'm a huge fan of Doctor Who (David Tennant is the greatest!), and I also love Torchwood, because John Barrowman is in it... which automatically makes it great.
>(
I am angered by your behavoir.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 14 years ago

In my household, David Tennant is regarded as THE Doctor, merchandise is as sparse as - and treated - like gold, and "Blink" was one of the mutually-favorite episodes.

So, yes.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

drakeshe
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby drakeshe » 14 years ago

Yeah, David Tennant is the best doctor ever. I'm sad that he's going to die in series 5 ;(
Torchwood is an awesome show also.
New Astroboy Forum Design - Preview

Add me on MSN: drakeshe[at]hotmail.com

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Nice to see some other Doctor Who fans!

My first Doctor was Christopher Eccleston, and I love him dearly, but I also love David Tennant. In the classic series, I'm still on William Hartnell (1st Doctor), and I'm actually really quite getting into the classics as well even though I'm still very early in. I have a feeling I'm going to like all 10 and the 11th.

I'm sad David Tennant is going too, but I felt the same way when Christopher Eccleston left (to the point I was afraid to watch - lol), and I'm now pretty comfortable I'll fall in love with the next Doctor also.

Plus, Steven Moffat is the new showrunner, and his episodes through all four of the new series are some of my favorites by far (not to take anything away from Russell T. Davies, who did an amazing job resurrecting the series), so I'm expecting big things! As someone mentioned above, Blink was his, as was The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances and Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead, as well as The Girl in the Fireplace and the Time Crash special (a Children in Need special - worth looking up if you haven't seen as it aired separately). All in my list of favorite episodes so far, so I'm pretty excited and only a lil scared this time out!

cybotron
Robot Revolutionary

Postby cybotron » 14 years ago

"dannavy85" wrote:Tom Baker was the quintesential Doctor and Rise of the Darleks is the all time best episode ever made!

General Neider is a bad guy Astro has to face off against one day!!

Yes, "Genesis of the Daleks" is probably the best. with "The Five Doctors" a close second.
But I really like Jon Pertwee. :lol:
I really consider Jon Pertwee as my "mentor" as it were.
:w00t:
I could just barely recieve the over the air signal from TV Ontario! :cool: :astro:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x93yj5_the-monster-of-peladon-part-1_shortfilms
Ahhh here we are.... :w00t: :wub:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x93z1j_the-monster-of-peladon-part-2_shortfilms
Last edited by cybotron on Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
[sigpic]http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=200&dateline=1323970671[/sigpic]Safe :ninja:

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

hehe niiiice. I can't wait to get to all this stuff, but I want to savor the journey. I'm short on time as of late so I've just been doing a classic episode every weekend, and eventually I'll get there (eventually...lol) while hopefully keeping up with the new series at the same time ^.^

BBally
Metro City Citizen

Postby BBally » 14 years ago

I'm a huge fan of Dr.Who got into the show about 2 years ago then got to watch the older eras and loved it. I buy the magazine every month since then, I bought some Dr. Who DVDs, books and comics.

My favorite Doctor is the seventh played by Sylvestor McCoy, he was like a combination of Hartnell's mysterious doctor with Troughton's trickster doctor but with a majorly dark twist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drOuGdGrkuM

And my favorite companion is Ace, any companion who beats up a dalek with a baseball bat is cool in my book. ;)
Badre El Amir Bally

Return to “General Discussion”