Can Astro sweat ?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Atomars
Rocket Ball Champion

Can Astro sweat ?

Postby Atomars » 13 years ago

I forgot in which episode (2003), but does this means that Astro can sweat ? :confused:

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

Well, the most I can say is that he has been seen crying tears in the original manga... even though he has said before that he is incapable of crying.

Ultimately, the franchise received a lot of retconning, even in the original manga, and that not everything stays consistent.

Atomars
Rocket Ball Champion

"Dr. Jerk" wrote:Well, the most I can say is that he has been seen crying tears in the original manga... even though he has said before that he is incapable of crying.

Ultimately, the franchise received a lot of retconning, even in the original manga, and that not everything stays consistent.

so Dr.Jerk, do you like it if Astro can sweat or cry ? :confused: :)

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 13 years ago

Hm not sure on the sweating thing, but crying has different answers. I think in the manga Elefun made him capable of crying, in the 80's Astro wasn't able to (but boy, he could make those eyes big and shiny :cry :) however Astro was able to cry in the 03 anime, although that was only made possible right at the end. It'd been mentioned in an early episode when Astro spoked to the tree. the subs were kinda crummy but he said "If I may tears, I'm sure to cry" although I think it meant "If I had tears, I'm sure to cry" but this was censored from the English version with him just saying something sappy to the tree =_=; Plus the name of the episode from "If I had tears" to "Deep City"

As for sweating, I don't know. I think it was drawn in the manga as a way of expressing when Astro was stressed or panicking. Since a drawing isn't like moving video, you can't reply on the tone of the voice actor to tell you if he's in some sort of distress. Least, that's why I think it's there.

So yeah, crying (depending on the anime) I think he can do. Sweating, nu...I mean, why does a robot need to sweat? o.o

Atomars
Rocket Ball Champion

"Alittleacorn" wrote:Hm not sure on the sweating thing, but crying has different answers. I think in the manga Elefun made him capable of crying, in the 80's Astro wasn't able to (but boy, he could make those eyes big and shiny :cry :) however Astro was able to cry in the 03 anime, although that was only made possible right at the end. It'd been mentioned in an early episode when Astro spoked to the tree. the subs were kinda crummy but he said "If I may tears, I'm sure to cry" although I think it meant "If I had tears, I'm sure to cry" but this was censored from the English version with him just saying something sappy to the tree =_=; Plus the name of the episode from "If I had tears" to "Deep City"

As for sweating, I don't know. I think it was drawn in the manga as a way of expressing when Astro was stressed or panicking. Since a drawing isn't like moving video, you can't reply on the tone of the voice actor to tell you if he's in some sort of distress. Least, that's why I think it's there.

So yeah, crying (depending on the anime) I think he can do. Sweating, nu...I mean, why does a robot need to sweat? o.o

But I am pretty sure I saw him sweat in 2003 anime, but I forgot which episode, I think maybe sweating has something to do with his cooling system :) , I will look through all the episodes and find it, after that I will post the screenshot here :astro:

btw, I have all of the Astroboy 2003 episodes (uncut/Japanese version)
Last edited by Atomars on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Atomars
Rocket Ball Champion

Okayy, so I found it ! Astroboy 2003 Episode 43 (Japanese Version) :D

Xenops
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Xenops » 13 years ago

There are general inconsistencies with Tezuka's manga and manga/anime, but these are just to express emotion. For example, in the Black Jack manga the title character is sweating through his surgical garb. If that was the case, then he would need to change his garb quite often.

So in the case of Astro, I would say generally no, but the animators show that he does to express the fact that he's worried.

jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby jayrath » 13 years ago

That's not sweat. It's an oil leak. :)

Atomars
Rocket Ball Champion

"Xenops" wrote:There are general inconsistencies with Tezuka's manga and manga/anime, but these are just to express emotion. For example, in the Black Jack manga the title character is sweating through his surgical garb. If that was the case, then he would need to change his garb quite often.

So in the case of Astro, I would say generally no, but the animators show that he does to express the fact that he's worried.

Yeah, maybe it is just to express Astro's emotion, but it can also be part of his cooling system you know :unsure: ?

Atomars
Rocket Ball Champion

"jayrath" wrote:That's not sweat. It's an oil leak. :)

LOL :lol:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”