Tezuka manga adapted to 1963 MIGHTY ATOM series

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Tezuka manga adapted to 1963 MIGHTY ATOM series

Postby jeffbert » 8 years ago

:lol: I was intending to save this for my book, but, it may never become a reality; thus, this thread. I had an account with an online manga viewing site until it decided to exclude Japanese-only-language content from anyone outside of Japan. :cry: Still, I viewed a fairly large number of Tezuka's books, especially since the 1st 20 pages were free to view. among these free pages, there usually were synopses pages, giving brief descriptions of the plots. Those I found really important, I bought from Amazon.jp.co.

In his book, Fred Schodt merely mentions this fact, but I will share some examples.

From vol 1 of SF MIX, a collection of short (20 or so pages) science fiction stories, 9 in all:

1. THE GREAT ZEO (1964): 98, Zeo's Legacy (89, Gift of Zeo)
  2. THE HUMAN FARM (1961): 35, Human Farm (35, Planet X)
  3. SOMEONE IS CRAZY (1960): 38, Disturbed Small Planet (38, The Asteroid Menace)

In these three stories, the plots and characters are fairly close to the ones in the episodes. In other stories such as Westerns, 2 of which are in vol. 2, characters and plot elements were adapted into #50, Atom Goes to the West ( Westward, Ha!). Lamp's character is fairly consistent throughout the Westerns, one of which was recently translated to English, though the name, escapes me. :blush:

I will go into more detail later. :astro:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 7 years ago

I have been transcribing the dialog to HUMAN FARM, & have just 3 pages to go. The characters are nearly the same, Tock is a "Salary man," who spends all day using a rubber stamp on a pile of documents. He is a physician in the anime. Tick is a newspaper editor, a job that usually goes to Norse Necktall, when both Tick & Tock are reporters. The woman is a famous singer in both, and the little boy is in school, in 5th grade.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”