Where does Reno live?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
FelicityRedbarrow
Metro City Citizen

Where does Reno live?

Postby FelicityRedbarrow » 9 years ago

In the Robot Circus episode (#11 in the original run, #22 in the English dub) Doctor O'shay takes custody of Reno and takes him back to the city. After that (or before, in the English dub!) we see Reno from time to time.

My question, though, is where does Reno actually live? Does he live with Doctor O'shay? Is there something important missing from the English dub?

Also, I'm not sure about the process of adoption, but I find it unlikely that one could simply sign some papers and gain custody of an orphan in a single day. I could be wrong, and this is a cartoon, but something seems off to me.

Don't get me wrong, though. If anyone was going to randomly adopt a child, O'shay's your man.

:o cha: "Abandoned and deactivated robot with kokoro? I'll just start him back up using all the power in the city and take him home with me. Then I'll send him to school."

:o cha: "My adopted robot son needs a sibling. I'll just whip up a sister for him. Another child. No biggie."

:o cha: "You're about to be taken away from your family of traveling circus robots? Come with me, my son."

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 9 years ago

I think we can all just assume that Reno does in fact live with Ochanomizu and his family with Atom and Uran, it's just for pacing purposes the writers of the 2003 anime did not find it necessary to explain that aspect. As for adoption processes it really depends on the nation and their own legal proceedings - some places can take years to solidify an adoption and others (usually less developed nations) can happen very rapidly. I think with this we can just assume (as it is a cartoon) that it was just something done as a special case.

Good question though! I never really thought about it.

I really adore Ochanomizu and how fatherly he is and I hope in the reboot we get to see more of that.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 9 years ago

I understand you are asking, where in Metro City does Rino live? As far as I could tell, he has his own home, at least, he does not live with Ochanomizu, as I saw him emerge from a home elsewhere. He came from Italy, & though the tradition is to spell his name with an 'e', I recall seeing an Italian film whose subs spelled it with an 'i'.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 9 years ago

I always assumed he lived in his own apartment in the Ministry building, like, they let him have a fair-sized place to stay while he works there. Then again, if a 13 year old is working at a place like the Ministry of Science, he can probably afford his own apartment and groceries.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”