Astro Boy (1980) and Black Jack now streaming on Viki (translations in progress)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Astro Boy (1980) and Black Jack now streaming on Viki (translations in progress)

Postby F-Man » 12 years ago

http://blog.viki.com/2012/03/19/anime-week-is-here/

Viki recently started acquiring some anime licenses, and Astro Boy (1980) and Black Jack are among the first few. The way the website works is that it offers programs in their original language and the fans can create subtitles for them directly from the website.

This is similar to what Mushi Production wanted to do on Crunchyroll before, but with a more automated system, and a big already established user base.

As I'm writing this, 6 episodes of Astro Boy are already translated! Unfortunately the translation from Manga Entertainment's boxset couldn't be retained.
I'm on Twitter.

jmb2891
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby jmb2891 » 12 years ago

Sweet! I've been wanting to watch subbed episodes of the 80s series. It'd be cool if they got Jetter Mars, too, I've been getting into him recently.
"Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free."
-Jim Morrison

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you, too, can become great."
-Mark Twain

Please check out:
My YouTube Channel
My Ultimate-Guitar Profile

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

"jmb2891" wrote:Sweet! I've been wanting to watch subbed episodes of the 80s series. It'd be cool if they got Jetter Mars, too, I've been getting into him recently.

Very. I hope these series are just the start of more Tezuka stuff to come!
I'm on Twitter.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 12 years ago

"jmb2891" wrote:Sweet! I've been wanting to watch subbed episodes of the 80s series. It'd be cool if they got Jetter Mars, too, I've been getting into him recently.

I'll say it's sweet! I was planning on watching the 80's series after I get done watching FMA and FLCL, so having them all in one place to watch is anice benefit for me.

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 12 years ago

Thank you so much, F-Man. Been wanting to watch the 1980s series for some time now. I'm loving the fact that the first two episodes are left intact.

I think I'll spend the next half hour watching some Astro Boy.

EDIT: I think it's interesting that they play Also Sprach Zarathustra when Tenma activates Atom in this series. It's reminiscent of the 1960s series when Beethoven's 5th Symphony plays in the background during that same scene.
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

Postby Tetsuwan Atom » 12 years ago

Thanks for this F-man this is kinda is the only way to watch the black jack 2004 series legaly if there subbed i'm going by these and some Matsumoto on it two but do they only make money through advertising ? it seems a bit weak for a website like that to make a profit but i'm not complaing.

And i din't even have to hide my ip because most website's or video feeds will block you off outside of Cananda and the US and i some cases it still doesn't even work properly when doing so.

Osamu Tezuka God of Manga Father of Anime RIP 1928-1989
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnimeNewsNetwork1?feature=mhum

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 12 years ago

I only watched enough so far to note that the subtitles here are far better than on the bootleg. Tenma says something a good bit more grammatical than "I don't want that suck stuff" when he rejects the Omega factor that 'Skank' :lol: offered.

Amaryllis
Kokoro Robot

Postby Amaryllis » 12 years ago

This site certainly looks interesting. I'm going to be laughing forever at how Skunk's name got mistranslated as "Skank," and the translation is really awkward at points, but it's still understandable. Plus, it's streaming Oniisama e as well, so it's pretty much my new favorite site now.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

"Amaryllis" wrote:This site certainly looks interesting. I'm going to be laughing forever at how Skunk's name got mistranslated as "Skank," and the translation is really awkward at points, but it's still understandable. Plus, it's streaming Oniisama e as well, so it's pretty much my new favorite site now.

I find it interesting how the news post starts with two Tezuka titles, and the third one still strangely related because it was made by Dezaki, who also made a Black Jack series in the 90's (the best one), just not the one listed here.
I'm on Twitter.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

I'm current adding subs to the first 20 episodes of Black Jack (got authorization to use the fansub for this) and I was wondering if anyone wanted to help me? It takes about 2 hours and 40 minute per episode. I personally do one per day on an off day. Even if you just do 10 or even 5 episodes, it'd be really appreciated.

The faster these are subbed, the faster they can start having views, and the ads will give Tezuka Productions money, so that they can offer more series this way.

I'm also planning to start subbing Astro Boy soon, but it'll be in French.
I'm on Twitter.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”