THE first Color Episode

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

THE first Color Episode

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 8 years ago

Most long time Astro fans know this, but some of the newcomers don't. The 1963 episode "The Moon Monsters" was made as a sort of test episode for a proposed series called #7, which was based on a Manga strip. This series would have been done in full color, so the episode was also shot in color. It thus represents the first rendition of Atom in color (aside from the color panels drawn for covers of Manga magazines in which Atom was featured.) The series was never made, and the color footage was never aired on TV.

The episode (minus the beginning and ending titles) was included on the bonus features disk for the second boxed set of 52 episode released by 'Right Stuf' video.

I don't know if Jeffbert has ever done a treatment on this episode with the color shots, but here a few examples of how Atom was first done on 'Cel' in color.
Attachments
vlcsnap-00011.png
vlcsnap-00011.png (392.21 KiB) Viewed 2351 times
vlcsnap-00010.png
vlcsnap-00010.png (480.74 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
vlcsnap-00009.png
vlcsnap-00009.png (393.37 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
vlcsnap-00008.png
vlcsnap-00008.png (305.55 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
vlcsnap-00007.png
vlcsnap-00007.png (249.48 KiB) Viewed 2350 times
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 8 years ago

Nice of you to do this!

In the past on another thread I have also added copies of pictures from a booklet that came with a TetsuWan Atom record released in Japan and which I purchased on eBay. The booklet was sort of a sequel to "Earth Defense Squadron" (translation of Japanese original title for "Moon Monsters") as it featured a new visit to the moon base with Astro Girl along.

Of course old time members will know that the color footage along with some other episodes was released in Japanese theaters beginning in 1964 as an Astro Boy compilation film.

I :heart: :astro: :)

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 8 years ago

I heard about this. That had to be exciting for Japanese kids back in the day

Rejoyce
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Rejoyce » 8 years ago

Well that explains why the episode was less Astro-centric...

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 8 years ago

#7 was a manga series that was adapted into that AB episode. Rather, a small portion, perhaps an arc was adapted into the :astro: episode. I have the 4 volume set of #7

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 8 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:#7 was a manga series that was adapted into that AB episode. Rather, a small portion, perhaps an arc was adapted into the :astro: episode. I have the 4 volume set of #7

Was that manga translated into English, or do you have the original Japanese release?
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page

http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

jeffbert
Minister of Science

the original; believe it or not, Nylon portrays a good guy!

Tnarrud
Kokoro Robot

Postby Tnarrud » 8 years ago

Just watched this episode in black and white on Youtube. It was really good and was a lot like an episode of the 1980s series.

One standout character was Luna Moona, an alien turned ally who does appear in the original manga, but I believe her actual name is Marina. Seven himself is a boy who is put to sleep for 100 years by his father and joins the group on being awakened. The concept is similar to Buck Rogers, which is likely why no series was made.
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Merged posts to eliminate multi-posting. (Second two posts were made past the 36 hour editing time limit).

jeffbert
Minister of Science

"Tnarrud" wrote:Just watched this episode in black and white on Youtube. It was really good and was a lot like an episode of the 1980s series.

One standout character was Luna Moona, an alien turned ally who does appear in the original manga, but I believe her actual name is Marina. Seven himself is a boy who is put to sleep for 100 years by his father and joins the group on being awakened. The concept is similar to Buck Rogers, which is likely why no series was made.

Her name in the episode is Haruko; in the NUMBER SEVEN manga, she has a different name. I need to reference my research files to find her name. :hyo: She is named Kimiko in the manga # 7.
Last edited by jeffbert on Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tnarrud
Kokoro Robot

Postby Tnarrud » 8 years ago

Thank you so much for correcting my misstep, Shianyomen, Even after a year of being online I still have some difficulty writing emails with my Playstation 3's controller.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”