What Makes Astro a Hero to you?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

What Makes Astro a Hero to you?

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 10 years ago

Hey guys! So, I haven't been around a lot lately, mostly because I've been busy with work and school, but also because I just haven't been in the mood. But that's okay, because I'm back now. And I figured, why not a topic discussion to get us all chatting again?

So today's is actually kind of simple;

What makes Astro a hero in your eyes?

I aks because everyone's definition of a hero is different. To one person, a hero can be someone who values life above all else. To others, a hero can be someone who makes sacrifices they feel are necessary in order to save the most amount of people possible. Everyone's definition is different, and I'm no exception to that rule. But putting the politics of being a hero aside, I think it's safe to say that Astro himself defines certain traits that we find admirable. But as I mentioned before, it's different for everyone. We all have one trait that we feel makes Astro a hero.

For me personally, what makes Astro a heroic figure is the fact that he tries. Allow me to explain.

I've seen a lot of people comment that Astro is almost perfect; that because he is a robot his mistakes are not of his own doing. But I have to strongly disagree with that statement. Astro is flawed; he's naive and impulsive, and sometimes his selflessness gets the better of him. That being said, I don't take issue with that. In fact, this leads into my point.

Yes, Astro is a flawed character. But at the same time, he is capable of at least recognizing his flaws and still trying to do something about a situation anyway. It doesn't mean that he is better than anyone else for trying, it simply just means that like everyone else that he is human, regardless of the fact that he is a robot.

It's actually why that while I like the Robotland story in the manga, the 80's series adaptation of that story is better framed in my opinion. In the manga, Astro and O'Shay don't really have any evidence against Haido before they start accusing him of mistreating robots until Odette flies into Astro's house in the next scene. Moving that scene until after Astro's encounter with Odette helps us sympathize with him a bit more. He knows that Robotland has a seedy underbelly, and despite knowing that he might get in trouble, he goes and does it anyway. Not because he doesn't know any better, but because he wants to do the right thing.

That is what makes Astro a hero to me; his undying desire to try something to help, even if it will create consequences that he'll have to deal with.

But what you guys? What makes Astro a hero to you?

tailz
Banned

Postby tailz » 10 years ago

I'd have to say that he cares a lot about others and that he makes some cold hearted people turn into warm hearted people. I know mines isn't such a big speech,but that's how I see him as a hero.
Hello! If you wish to speak with me on other sites then Follow me on these sites below:

http://my.desktopnexus.com/tailz/

http://www.aimini.net/look/?pid=d24TGUDedhOYX1QAcgzS

http://nanonanopudding.deviantart.com/

Keep in mind that I do Not own theses sites. These sites belong to their rightful owners. Thank you. :)

My fansite:http://blackjackpudding.webs.com/apps/profile/84233730/

[sigpic][/sigpic]

I love 初音ミク :heart:

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

I don't think it's a problem that your answer is so short. Sometimes the shortest answers are the best. Also, it doesn't help that I can get a bit long winded at times.

Anyway, I agree with you. HIs kind and sweet nature do make him very endearing, and it becomes one of his strengths.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 10 years ago

I think people, themselves having flaws, find they do not identify with perfect characters. So, yes, Atom having flaws makes him attractive. But, as far as that goes, he totally lacks prejudice, & this is very important part of his character. I cannot think of one time when he was glad to see his enemy get his just reward. He always tries to save everyone. I will exclude the post-Tezuka versions, except PLUTO, because I know that that version did pass thorough scrutiny of Tezuka's son. I also think that because they expected the 2003 series would be adapted / dubbed in English mainly for American viewers, that they had Americans provide ideas for making the series more suitable for that purpose. :D

To me, a hero is someone who is willing to risk himself to go to the aid of others. Thus anyone who is already involved or, has a stake in the issue, might not qualify, depending on which side he takes in the beginning. For instance, if a two men are fighting each other, & one's kid comes running out to help his papa, the other guy seeing the kid approach from behind his enemy, may turn & disengage from the fight in order to keep from harming the other guy's child. Some might call him a coward, but, not I.

Anyway, I became carried away for a while. :blush: To me, Atom is a hero because he lacks prejudice; he mourns when his enemy is killed, instead of saying "It serves him right!"

He, being a passerby, immediately goes to the rescue of anyone & even animals in danger, despite the danger to himself.

I suppose I could add more, but enough for now. :hyo:

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

To me he is a hero because he always does what he thinks is right, even if others don't think he is right and he sticks to it. If he has to break rules in order to do what is ultimately right, he will. He values life above politics and always forgives. Even if horrible things happen to him and those he loves over and over again he walks onward never lacking in his principles and morals. Never bowing, never compromising.

Kind of like Batman, though Atom is more approachable and doesn't let those bad things that have happened to him get to him in such a way where he shuts people out.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

"jeffbert" wrote:I think people, themselves having flaws, find they do not identify with perfect characters. So, yes, Atom having flaws makes him attractive. But, as far as that goes, he totally lacks prejudice, & this is very important part of his character. I cannot think of one time when he was glad to see his enemy get his just reward. He always tries to save everyone. I will exclude the post-Tezuka versions, except PLUTO, because I know that that version did pass thorough scrutiny of Tezuka's son. I also think that because they expected the 2003 series would be adapted / dubbed in English mainly for American viewers, that they had Americans provide ideas for making the series more suitable for that purpose. :D

To me, a hero is someone who is willing to risk himself to go to the aid of others. Thus anyone who is already involved or, has a stake in the issue, might not qualify, depending on which side he takes in the beginning. For instance, if a two men are fighting each other, & one's kid comes running out to help his papa, the other guy seeing the kid approach from behind his enemy, may turn & disengage from the fight in order to keep from harming the other guy's child. Some might call him a coward, but, not I.

Anyway, I became carried away for a while. :blush: To me, Atom is a hero because he lacks prejudice; he mourns when his enemy is killed, instead of saying "It serves him right!"

He, being a passerby, immediately goes to the rescue of anyone & even animals in danger, despite the danger to himself.

I suppose I could add more, but enough for now. :hyo:

I rather like what you have to say, Jeffbert.

Whether I'm speaking out of line, I don't know, but I think you and I managed to come to the exact same conclusion but just with different examples for why.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 10 years ago

The innocence and pure heart of a nine year old boy, the belief that there is some good in everyone, always turning the other cheek no mater how badly he is treated, and putting the safety and well being of others above his own, even being willing to sacrifice himself to save others. He deserves our love and pity, yet he never asks for it (except maybe by the look in his eyes). How could such a perfect hero :astro: be the product of such an imperfect mind? :tenma:
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Dante69
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Dante69 » 10 years ago

"Tetsuwan Penguin" wrote:The innocence and pure heart of a nine year old boy, the belief that there is some good in everyone, always turning the other cheek no mater how badly he is treated, and putting the safety and well being of others above his own, even being willing to sacrifice himself to save others. He deserves our love and pity, yet he never asks for it (except maybe by the look in his eyes). How could such a perfect hero :astro: be the product of such an imperfect mind? :tenma:

THIS! I was waiting for someone to say it this way because I wouldn't have made him sound so awesome, (I can't write anything worth something). Also, I do think Atomu-chan is flawed, but I don't want him to change, therefore, to me he is perfect. Same goes with the way I think of Umataro, so...(trailing off because I don't want to continue this)...
:tenma: :astro: :o cha: LOL

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 10 years ago

"tailz" wrote:I'd have to say that he cares a lot about others and that he makes some cold hearted people turn into warm hearted people. I know mines isn't such a big speech,but that's how I see him as a hero.

That was my first thought: he's so generous. (The cynical adult in me, however, can't help but think that sometimes, being generous seems to lead to being taken advantage of and so we don't get Astro's success, but Astro's kindness will always strike a chord with me anyway).

Prettywitchiusaka wrote:I rather like what you have to say, Jeffbert.

Whether I'm speaking out of line, I don't know, but I think you and I managed to come to the exact same conclusion but just with different examples for why.

Yes, I also think your interpretation and jeffbert's have similarities, and I also agree with both of you. :)

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 10 years ago

Thanks, Prettywitchiusaka. I apologize to anyone whom I might have offended by my posts here. :blush:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”