Who do you hate/dislike in Astroboy anime and why ?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Atomars
Rocket Ball Champion

Who do you hate/dislike in Astroboy anime and why ?

Postby Atomars » 13 years ago

As the title says, who & why ?

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 13 years ago

I used to dislike "Mr. Pompous" (from the 60's anime) - but since seeing the other series and reading the manga, I've really grown to like him.

I'm still not crazy about Astro's robot parents. Especially as portrayed in the 80's anime. The father has that goofy spike coming out of his head . . . W H Y?
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 13 years ago

AprilSeven, he is also a bit unusual in the B&W; I recall one episode when he & mama were arguing, & she reached inside his mouth, flipped a switch, & muted him. :lol:

I cannot think of any characters I truly hate, though some are really evil. I think Dr. Hyde is as close as they come to being someone I can hate. Not only is he really nasty in ROBOT LAND, but in THE CLOCK TOWER MYSTERY, he give Mari (Hata Mari) & Heck Ben suicide pills to keep them silent, should they be caught. Now, the English dub makes these to be memory wipe pills, but if that were so, why is Mari on oxygen and bedridden after taking only a tiny bite from hers?

That being said, in the B&W INVISIBLE ROBOT, he is Denko's creator, though this is the only neutral role I can recall.

Atomars
Rocket Ball Champion

"AprilSeven" wrote:I used to dislike "Mr. Pompous" (from the 60's anime) - but since seeing the other series and reading the manga, I've really grown to like him.

I'm still not crazy about Astro's robot parents. Especially as portrayed in the 80's anime. The father has that goofy spike coming out of his head . . . W H Y?

:lol: I see

Atomars
Rocket Ball Champion

"jeffbert" wrote:Now, the English dub makes these to be memory wipe pills, but if that were so, why is Mari on oxygen and bedridden after taking only a tiny bite from hers?

English dub likes to change the original name :sick:

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 13 years ago

I don't like the shape shifting robot in the 80's show, just because he wasn't the same one from the manga since I think it was supposed to be Pork, Poke? o.O

And Uran a little bit too, but only when she's whiny I can't stand her like that x_x

Xenops
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Xenops » 13 years ago

I really enjoy Ochanomize/Elefant in all the the animes. He's awesome!

I do find Astro's parents kind of pointless. I liked in the 2003 anime where they are wholly absent. :p

In the 1980's anime I find Uran annoying, but I enjoy her in the 1960's and the 2003 animes.

Probably my biggest qualm is...Astro's outfit. *ducks as fellow members pelt her with nuts and bolts* I much prefer him in "civilian clothing". In the 1960's anime it doesn't matter because he never is off duty, but in the 2003 anime he goes about his business in his trunks and boots. :d oh: If you're in society, dress like appropriately. I'm not bothered by him showing "skin", but nothing says "Robot! Here!" than him dressing differently from the humans.
Last edited by Xenops on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarification

Atomars
Rocket Ball Champion

"Alittleacorn" wrote:I don't like the shape shifting robot in the 80's show, just because he wasn't the same one from the manga since I think it was supposed to be Pork, Poke? o.O

And Uran a little bit too, but only when she's whiny I can't stand her like that x_x

Me too, Uran sometimes is annoying :sick: , but she is cute :)

Atomars
Rocket Ball Champion

"Xenops" wrote:Probably my biggest qualm is...Astro's outfit. *ducks as fellow members pelt her with nuts and bolts* I much prefer him in "civilian clothing". In the 1960's anime it doesn't matter because he never is off duty, but in the 2003 anime he goes about his business in his trunks and boots. :d oh: If you're in society, dress like appropriately. I'm not bothered by him showing "skin", but nothing says "Robot! Here!" than him dressing differently from the humans.

I kinda agree with this :lol:

Novacain
Beyond the Stars

Postby Novacain » 13 years ago

It kind of bothers me how his clothes always find a way to burn, disintegrate or fall off. What ever happened to the unwritten law that superheros outfits become super resistant? Didn't Superman always keep his tights and cape on??

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”