1963 missing scenes

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

1963 missing scenes

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 9 years ago

I was watching the 'extras' disc from my newly acquired Right Stuf 1963 ELV DVD set this morning. There is an extensive collection of scenes cut from the Japanese originals to create the ELV. In most of the cases the same portion of the episode is show in both the English and the Japanese to illustrate how they differ.

Some of the modifications were to remove scenes containing Japanese language signs to disguise the fact that the show originated in Japan.

However, most of the missing scenes were removed because of mild violence, religious content, or death scenes.

There were several scenes where the villains shot and killed someone (though only the gun shots and the bloodless aftermath were seen.) A few episodes had someone praying or crossing themselves (Tamao and Shub did this when Astro flew their boat at supersonic speed across the lake in 'Grass Boy'). There were also scenes of someone at a graveside mourning someone.

However, the most common deleted scene was Astro firing his fanny guns! Clearly Ladd didn't universally remove this feature of Astro's powers, but wherever possible he substituted another explanation for him getting out of a fix. In some episodes he didn't completely remove those fanny guns, just prevented Astro from 'over doing it'.

I'm getting a tongue in cheek idea for a story where Astro is recruited as a spokes person for the NRA, or maybe is singled out as a bad example of why a stronger gun control law needs to be passed!
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 9 years ago

Apparently Ladd did not find the (surprisingly practical) rear-mounted machine guns to be as amusing as we did. I'd imagine it would've gone down a storm with children in those days; they wouldn't think to find it inappropriate and just think it was hilarious. Seems like something that I'd've found uproariously funny as a little kid. :3
lolwut

FelicityRedbarrow
Metro City Citizen

Postby FelicityRedbarrow » 9 years ago

I know that companies always want to do what they think their consumers would like most, but I wish we weren't so quick to "Americanize" things. Seeing aspects of a different culture is a wonderful learning opportunity. The younger the exposure, the less odd the world seems.

I think it was AprilSeven who said that she didn't even realize it was a Japanese show for the longest time. As a young child, I don't think I would have, either.

I would just like to say that I'm not a fan of the butt guns. I also cringe at the refueling through the rear. But I don't have to like everything 100% to love the show.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 9 years ago

Eh, the rear refueling is sometimes kinda cringeworthy. I mean, depending, I might find it a little funny. But still... (It's another thing I would've found funny as a kid, I'm sure... or it would have just put me off quite a bit, like it does now. But it's largely mood-dependent...)

But yeah, Tezuka had a really weird sense of humor. That said, I have an easier time finding the butt guns funny. And he went out of his way to make them into a practical addition (even if Atom himself was apparently embarrassed by them).
lolwut

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 9 years ago

I can see why they were censored back in the day, but I too just find the butt guns funny. And surprisingly useful. It's funny, really. Back then they were censored but in the 2009 movie they were a selling point XD
I too though also find the rear refueling weird too and glad they don't do that anymore

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”