CHITAN: 1st 8 pages

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

CHITAN: 1st 8 pages

Postby jeffbert » 7 years ago

I just received my copy of Illustrated Mighty Atom by Mori Haruro today, & have finished transcribing the 1st page of the comic.

B?ut 1st, a word from our spo--

no!

here is the text from the intro paragraph on p59 (I used google translate for the Romaji & the 1st Engrish translation, Babylon for the next, & Babelfish for the 3rd):

チータン
アトムの弟の赤ちゃんロボット.

Atomu no otōto no akachan robotto.
Atom of the brother of a baby robot.
「チータン」(『鉄腕アトムクラブ』66年4〜5月号) に登場するのみだが、単行本収録. チータンもお茶の水博士がつくったもので、 アトムの家族はすべてお茶の水博士がつくったということになる. 一万馬力の、 ちょっと始末に負えない赤ん坊である.

`Chītan'(“tetsuwan atomukurabu” 66-nen 4 〜 5 tsuki-gō ;) ni tōjō suru nomidaga, tankōbon shūroku. Chītan mo Ochanomizu hakase ga tsukutta mono de, atomu no kazoku wa subete Ochanomizu hakase ga tsukutta to iu koto ni naru. Ichi man bariki no, chotto shimatsunioenai akanbōdearu.
It only appeared in "Zhidan" ( "Astro Boy Club" 66 April-May issue), but the book recording. Zhidan be one that made the Dr. Ochanomizu, it comes to all Atom family is Dr. Ochanomizu made . ten thousand horsepower, is a baby that little ungovernable.
Babylon: "zhidan" (Astroboy) from 4 to 5 years 66 Club, the only but also on the comic, Dr. Chee Tan, something I created atoms of Ochanomizu all family members will be made," Dr. becoms and ten thousand horsepower of a little worrisome baby in the .
Babelfish: Hardcover journal only appeared in "Titan" ("Tetsuwan Atom Club' 66, April-may issue),... Be that the atom family is all made by Dr otyanomizu Titan also made by Dr. Ochanomizu. In 10000 HP the little rambunctious baby.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

p60
margin:
『鉄腕アトムクラブ』66年4月号「チータン」の全ページ. つづく5月号は、代筆(原作・手塚治虫/制作・虫プロダクション/え・北野英明)だったため、単行本収録.
“Tetsuwan atomukurabu” 66-nen 4 tsuki-gō `chītan' no zen pēji. Tsudzuku 5 tsuki-gō wa, daihitsu (gensaku tedzuka osamu/ seisaku-chū purodakushon/ e kitano hideaki)datta tame, tankōbon shūroku.

google: All pages. Followed by the May issue of "Astro Boy Club" 66 years April issue "Zhidan" is, because it was ghost-writing (original Osamu Tezuka / production and Mushi Production / e Hideaki Kitano), book recording.

Babylon: In the April issue of Astroboy Club, 66 "team" of all the pages in the May issue of leads and Tezuka Osamu (original author rakkan/Production/Mushi Production/liquid-Kitano Hideaki) was due to the book contains .

Babelfish: All pages of the April issue of "Tetsuwan Atom Club' in 1966,"Titan". May issue continues, I wrote (original, Tezuka Osamu bugs / production / production / eh-Kitano Hideaki) was for the hardcover journal.

CHITAN-#1_ (0060).jpg
CHITAN-#1_ (0060).jpg (168.38 KiB) Viewed 2428 times

p1:
Ochanomizu:
きょうはいいプレゼントをもってきたよ この子はチータンといってなきょう科学省でつくられたもんじゃ
Kyō wa ī purezento o motte kita yo ko no ko wa chītan to ittena kyō kagaku-shō de tsukura reta mon ja
google: 'S mon this child by today brought a good gift is made of today, Science and Technology Ministry, such saying Zhidan

Babylon: Today I had a nice gift this child is zhidan and maybe even have been built in the Ministry of Science and Education of
Babelfish: Today I have a nice present this child was formed at the Ministry today said that Titan's

Uran:
んまあかわいい
N mā kawaī
Well cute N
Babylon: Not well-cute
Babelfish: I'm pretty well

#2 - 3:
CHITAN, #2-3 (Illustrated Mighty Atom -MoriHaruro_0060).jpg
CHITAN, #2-3 (Illustrated Mighty Atom -MoriHaruro_0060).jpg (81.67 KiB) Viewed 2428 times

2:
Uran:
あたし赤ちゃんだあい
Atashi akachanda Ai
google: ???
Babylon: Harm the baby out together
Babelfish: My baby love
Chitan:
ギユッ
Giyu~tsu
Giyu'

3:
Uran:
おなかおすとなく?
Onaka osu to naku?
Without the Onakaosu?
Babylon: May not hungry?
Babelfish: Male tummy and instead?
Last edited by jeffbert on Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:00 am, edited 7 times in total.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 7 years ago

It's good that Tezuka penned in the Hiragana next to the kanji, but some of those characters are rather small and hard to read. I wonder why in one place "Ko" was scribed in Hiragana in one place and in Kanji in another? (second bubble, first column).

I'm slowly learning how to read Hiragana.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 7 years ago

The tiny hiragana is called 'furigana' and is usually standard to have them hovering next to kanji to aid readers, they are particularly prevalent in manga for children since learning kanji is something that extends all throughout primary school and even extends to college.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 7 years ago

Congratulations, JeffBert on providing these translations.
To help here is a translation I did for myself of a synopsis of the "Ti-Tan(ium)" episode I found in the "Mighty Atom Complete Book" which came out in 2003.

"Ti-Tan(ium)" appeared in the April & May, 1966 issues of "Mighty Atom Club" magazine:

"Dr. Ochanomizu presents Atom with a new robot baby brother, Ti-Tan(ium). When Ti-Tan(ium) is kidnapped, Atom flies to his rescue, but runs out of energy before he can get to him. However it is Ti-Tan(ium), himself who engineers his own escape by use of his super-loud wail."

I :heart: :astro: :)
Last edited by ASTROBUDDY on Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Thanks, ASTROBUDDY; I must have the same book? pages 60 & 61 contain the 8 pages of Chitan's origin story.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

"jeffbert" wrote:Thanks, ASTROBUDDY; I must have the same book? pages 60 & 61 contain the 8 pages of Chitan's origin story.

No, they are two different books. The "Mighty Atom Complete Book" has synopses of all the manga and the 60s and 80s anime series.

YJ_Doodle
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby YJ_Doodle » 7 years ago

Wait, if his name is based off Titanium, should we pronounce his name like "Titan(Tie-Tan)" or "Ti-Tan(Tee-Tan)"?

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 7 years ago

It is pronounced as "Chee Tan" the romangi is chi tan.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

The pronunciation is an approximate because the Japanese have a difficulty pronouncing "Ti"; that is why "Chi" is the approximate, but is translated as "Ti". The character's name is based on the Japanese word for Titanium (chitan) and the first syllable is held as a play on his super loud wail, so that his name as pronounced by a Japanese person would be "Chi-Tan", but is translated as "Ti-Tan". I personally add on the "ium" as a personal reminder that his name is based on an element used or associated with atomic power as Astro Girl's name is based on uranium, but most prefer "Uran" or more correctly "Urane" to show that the "U" is the long "U" and not the short "u". But this is just my personal preference and everyone is free to use what ever they want. But I believe the official names are; "Chi-Tan" or "Ti-Tan".

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”