Jeffbert's book needs your input

Talk about all things Astro Boy!

What content would you like to see (in the 1st book)?

Poll ended at 14 years ago

An episode guide for the B&W, with the rest devoted to the characters
No votes
ep guide for the B&W, rest devoted to the themes borrowed from /by Tezuka
18%
An episode guide for the B&W, with the rest a split: the characters and the themes
36%
An episode guide for the 1980s, with the rest devoted to the characters
36%
ep guide 1980s, with the rest consisting of a split between the characters and the themes
No votes
ep guide 80s, with ch.s on all the other TV anime vers, referenced to the 80s. the characters' guide
9%
Other, please specify
No votes
Other, please specify
No votes

Total votes: 11

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Jeffbert's book needs your input

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

I am still working on my book, and while I have a good bit of content, I really have not given much thought to exactly what to put in it. I think that a first book would not bring me much $, because as a new author, I would not be in a position to negotiate with a publisher. So, I must prepare to write at least two books, placing my hopes for $ upon the second one. Yet, this creates the problem of putting enough in the first book, to warrant the publication of a second one, but without putting so much in the first, that there is not enough left for the second one.

Thus, the Poll:

I have several ideas, as briefly listed here, which I will explain below. I am guessing that there will be about 200-250 9 by 6 pages (assuming it is ever published).

Since there are 193 episodes, the entire book could be filled with nothing but an episode guide, and still be not enough to satisfy the readers. I thought about making it only about the 1st & 2nd seasons, but did not like that. In this book, I do not think I will be able to put much about the different versions of the stories, and much of that is already online anyway.

About the characters and actors, I intend to list not only the important ones, but some of the minor ones who appear only very briefly, but do so in several episodes. This part would have the various versions that the actors were in, how that one was replaced by another in the 1980s version, etc, but I wanted to remain focused on the B&W version, only noting that the same or different actor was in that role.

About the borrowing of material by and from Tezuka: several other books make note of this, but I have explicitly noted more than a few instances in which Tezuka borrows from other works, both his own and others. I think I could easily fill 50 pages with this part.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 14 years ago

How are you planning your episode guide? Like, episode #1: .... episode #2: ... That's how I envision it in my mind at least. Maybe it's just me, but I would think it would be more appealing if there was some continuity throughout the book, while still covering what you want to cover.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

pretty much that is it. 193 episodes to cover, and as I have already web published the 1st season, I might want to spend the bulk on the later eps. But as I said, there will be features similar to my reviews.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 14 years ago

It should be something to see! :cool:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 8 years ago

A few months ago, I began looking for a publisher, although I do not yet have a single unified book. This site has features I might consider: http://www.authorhouse.com/
yet, it is a service for which I would pay; moreover, I would bear the burden of getting permission for use of images. I had been thinking of contacting that company that was going to translate Tezuka manga, but am still not yet at the point where I have a unified book from which I could send a few chapters etc., for consideration.

Anyway, much has happened since I started this thread, including my obtaining reprints of the original versions of the manga, so I think a revival of the discussion is appropriate.

The guy from the publishing co. said that the package he was offering included 3 hard copies & 10 ebooks. additional copies were discussed only vaguely, & I have forgotten the details.

At this time, my draft of the book includes 3 chapters, one on Atom as a character, one on the corpus of stories & versions, from the 1st comic stories through PLUTO. CH 3: Atom and Tezuka’s other Boy Heroes discusses the relationship between Kenichi, Rock, & others & Atom; their stories being adapted into the MIGHTY ATOM corpus, mostly in the 1963 series. These are introductory chapters, so, they are devoted to basics, rather than nuts & bolts discussions. Sorry, I had not given much thought to the survey, but that type of thing would actually be better for a subsequent book.

I have many other chapters written, but how to fit them into the 1st book?

:astro:

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 8 years ago

Well it seems that your book is getting closer to becoming a real thing. Depending on the cost you might have quite a few 'customers' right here, something to consider when you chose a publisher. When you have a better idea of what the actual contents might be like (a draft TOC or Index) you might post that here and on TIE with a query of who might be interested in buying a copy. The more potential customers the lower the publishing cost might be per copy.

What will the format be? Small paper back (like the Dark Horse manga), standard hardcover format, or Coffee table book (Like Helen McCarthy's book)?
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 8 years ago

Unless I pay the publisher, I think the format will be his decision, not mine. I actually envision a 4 to 5 volume set, this would be volume 1, & would cover all the versions. subsequent volumes would cover the various versions.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”