Astro Boy Story: Love You Yet (Revised)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Astro Boy Story: Love You Yet (Revised)

Postby Alittleacorn » 13 years ago

[CENTER]PLOT:
Cora, a runaway living at The Great Robot Circus, is scavenging for scrap below the dumpsite below Metro City, when she uncovers a boy robot with no memories and little clothing at that! Barely able to stand on its own feet, (let alone remember his own name) Cora befalls him the name Atom and convinces him into joining the circus. Machines are just mindless pieces of junk, but as Cora is soon to realise, not everything she's learnt is true.

AUTHOR NOTES:
So this is a story I started back when I had just gotten into the series. A friend named Ty linked me to a song namedSpeeding Cars by Imogen Heap and when I heard the chorus:

There there baby
it's just text book stuff
it's in the ABC of growing up
Now, now darling
oh don't lose your head
cause none of us were angels
and you know I love you yeah

Those magicial little words struck me with a mental image of an amnesia Astro waking up on the scrapheap and scaring the daylights of a lone Cora. Crazy, but true. I must've listen to that song over and over, it was something in hearing the choruses and how the innocent melody played through them that carried me onto writing the story (so please if you've not heard it, have a listen to the song afterwards...unless you're into heavy metal more, then you're excused ^_^)

For the last couples months i've been busy on other projects and I recently came back this one deciding I wasn't happy with how it was going. I'd writen this being an early Astro Boy fan and knowing what I do now and having a better grasp of the characters I decided that before I could go forward I needed to go back and revise the story.

Now certain changes might be subtle while others will be acomplete change of scene. If you want to read all 3 of the original chapters you can here. Please bear in mind once I will be replacing them once all revision is complete.

Only 5 pages have been revised from chapter 1 thus far. Dependings on what I'm doing I might post some revised parts soon or later. Any comments are very much appreciated <3.

oxoxoxoxo[/CENTER]

Love You Yet

Chapter 1: The First Step

“Y-You’re…!”

Cora didn’t know what she was thinking when she left for the Wastelands that afternoon. It was the last day the Not-So-Great Robot Circus would be in town and preparations were already underway to hit the road. Yet instead of sticking behind to help, she’d dropped everything to come out here for some last minute scavenging.

The Wastelands below Metro City were rumoured to be the largest on record, and Cora couldn’t disagree with that. She and her friends had hit the jackpot many a times out here than they would’ve for any other dumpsites. But never, did she expect to encounter something like this.

Cora had spotted it by accident, when overlooking one of the Wasteland’s deep canyons of junk; something sticking out amongst the dull rusted metal, something black and pink…

It was too far away to make out exactly what it was, but a gut instinct told her she needed to check it out. So she did.

It’d been a long scramble down the canyon, though soon enough Cora reached the bottom. Carefully she’d clambered over derelict vehicles and old machinery equipment, stewed wires and circuitry crunching beneath her feet as she got forever nearer to the object that was pulling her in like a magnet.

Once she was close enough, it didn’t take long for Cora’s mind to process what her eyes had seen.

A body…

The whole scene had looked wrong; Cora only smelt the foul decay of junk, not a corpse. Either they’d not been dead long, or it was a drunk, but who took a nap face down buried by trash, and this far out? It was only on standing several feet away, did she realize with a stolen breath, that the body was too small to be an adult.

Some scumbag in the glamorous Metro City…had dumped a child down here, a boy.

“Oh no...” In that instance Cora abandoned all fear to have knotted in her stomach and broke into a run, tripping and stumbling over the unturned earth to the reach him. She hadn’t known if he was alive or not, there’d been no time to think of that, all she could do was act. But maybe if she’d stopped for just a moment, she might’ve noticed something wasn’t quite right.

"Hold on! I'll get you out!" A foot pressed firmly against the wall of compacted junk; Cora had hooked her arms under the armpits of the motionless child and pulled.

Like bricks to cement he was wedged in tight and it’d taken every ounce of her strength to free him. And when she had, toppling over in a miniature landslide of garbage, she could’ve sworn she saw a spark ignite from the boy as he fell along with her.

Speedo and boots was all he wore.

For a moment Cora had panicked, her hands reaching to shove the body off from her legs…only to stop upon feeling the rubbery touch of synthetic flesh on her fingertips. She seen them then, the grooves around each of the boy’s joints, the arms, legs and neck; the exposed gleaming metal to peer through every rip in the skin, the black helmet that it wasn’t a helmet, but was fused to his, it’s skull.

And all the dots had connected up, as it dawned on Cora of her mistake.

“A robot…?” She’d whispered in disbelief, prodding one of the two spikes to protrude from its scalp like a horn, “No way.”

Twitch

It moved.

Her scream had echoed off the slanting walls of the canyon, as she’d quickly pushed, shoved and kicked the robot away with her arms and legs and scrambled away like it were a disease. An electric whirl started up then, movement increasing in twitches all over the robot’s body as its every limb was put into motion. And Cora had watched with a pounding heart as the boy robot had come to life, clumsily sitting itself up.

The boy robot’s head rolled back, and a fluorescent blue shown from its large eyes, with a gaze so stone cold gaze it’d made Cora break out in a feverish sweat. Then as quick as it was to appear, the light vanished in the blink of an eye…and glassy brown irises, found her blue ocean ones.

“Y-You’re…how’d you-” She uttered at loss for words, all too aware her hand was squeezed on the stun gun in her sweater pocket. She kept her cool, the very best she could, “I thought you were broken.”

The boy robot remained immobile on the ground, its doll like feature blank and expressionless…then slowly, a look of pure innocence gradually flourished onto its face.

Ever so slightly, its head tilted to one side.

“You the new craze up there now or something…? Well?” Cora demanded bluntly, uncomfortable with all the staring. Malfunctioning robots were the worst kind a human could come across. If they didn’t run on the laws of robotics then there was no telling what they could do. She didn’t class this one as any exception.

The blood rushing in her ears, Cora cautiously took a step back; wrong move. Her heart jumped in her chest as the boy robot’s eyes darted down to the legs she stood on, transfixed by their movement. Curiously moving the artificial muscles on its face, the robot glanced down to its own set of legs. Slowly the knees were bent and ankles were wriggled, giving off electrical hums from parts that had not been used in a long time.

Like a puppet hung on strings, wobbly and unbalance, the boy robot begun to get to its feet.

“Stay where you are! I mean it!” Cora ordered, pulling out the stun gun and poising it forward to show she meant business. It’d recently been modified by a certain wiz kid to pack more a punch towards robots, but she didn’t know of it’s effectiveness since she hadn’t tested it out yet.

“Are you listening to me!? Hey!

No matter what she said, robot didn’t respond. Its attention remained focused solely on itself as it hoisted its mechanical body from the ground. The robot’s legs never ceased to shake once it was up, its arms wavering out all over the place as if it were a bird that couldn’t understand why it had wings…so it didn’t come as a surprise to Cora when-

CLUNK!

It fell over.

“What…?” Her stun gun lowered, Cora stared dubiously at the machine now laid on its stomach with the expression only a surprised infant could bear. The robot soon moved again, and in doing so Cora raised her guard, but not for very long as it was to fall, as did the robot when it’d tumbled over again like a person on silts.

It tried many times, and every time it failed. The robot just couldn’t get back up.

She found it almost amusing…almost.

(More in just a minute, these word limits are murder! x_X)
Last edited by Alittleacorn on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Chapter 1 Part 2

“What’s a matter with you? You got a screw loose?” Cora warily asked as she slid one foot forward. She figured if wasn’t able to stand then it couldn’t do much harm, but she wasn’t about to take any chances.

Prompting itself up on its arms, the boy robot stared inquisitively around at their surroundings, its glassy brown eyes moving as it took every detail of the junk filled canyon in. Again, the robot said nothing.

Cora crossed her arms, feeling mocked, “Hmph…fine, be that way.”

Ignoring her still, the boy robot gaze slowly wandered down to the ground, where it begun to pick up pieces of garbage, feeling and studying them over in its hands, even gnawing on them like some curious toddler. From rotten food, rusted cans to broken old gadgets, the robot inspected anything and everything within its reach, as if they were toys for it to play with.

What the heck was going on?

Tucking the stun gun back into her pocket, Cora carefully made her way over, watching the robot’s every move as she slowly couched down at its side. It didn’t even look up, too interested by the broken stitched pink piggy bank it was studying over intently for any coins inside.

Keeping her wits about her, Cora took deep a breath and reached out with a trembling hand, not taking her eyes off the robot for a single second, as she tapped her finger on its metal skull.

Thunk! Thunk!

…Nothing, the robot didn’t react. Compared to other malfunctioning machines she’d come across, this one wasn’t too bad. At least it hadn’t tried to rip her throat out yet. If there was one thing she’d learnt from experience however was, looks could be deceiving.

And it was in that state of mind, when the robot dropped the piggy bank and focused its attention on her.

It reached for her, and-

Donk! Donk!

“Ow!” Cora cried, scowling at the robot while she grasped her head, “Why’d you that for!?”

All it was ever did was stare, then slowly, the robot raised one arm and placed a hand on its forehead.

The same thing Cora was doing.

“What are you…?” Hesitantly she lowered her arm, and second later the boy robot did the same. She moved, it moved, she blinked, it blinked, whatever Cora did, the robot mimicked. It was really weird, though something she was very familiar with. When fixing robots, her friend Reno would order them to copy his motion to ensure they were functioning properly.

But, Cora wasn’t telling this thing to copy, it was like the robot had a mind of its own…that; or its internal circuits were fried.

“Great a mime, that’s all I need” Cora huffed, slouching back on her arms from where she sat. Once again, the boy robot mirrored her movement.
She glared, “Cut that out!”

It stared at her, for what felt like more than a moment, tilting its head into what was becoming a frequent habit; a bit of an annoying one.

Cora had to admit, even for a robot it was kind of cute looking and she didn’t normally say that. Humanoid robots were the most expensive on the market, the reason why they were so fortunate to have a couple at the circus.

Looking at this one, she could tell straight off it definitely wasn’t your typical run of the mill robot from the production line. Those ones were usually cruddy looking and cheap, this one wasn’t; which meant it had to be custom made.

Whoever made the little guy must’ve put a lot of work into it. What didn’t make sense though, was why would somebody throw something this valuable away? Cora had only one thing to say to that:

Finders keepers.

“You’re really not kidding me, are you…?

The boy robot blinked, a trade it’d picked up from her. Cora sighed and shuffled closer, sitting on her knees. This time, the robot didn’t copy.

“Can you talk? You know, talk-ing?” She pointed both fingers to her lips and said it again, “Can-you-talk?

The robot studied her lips curiously, then felt for its own it never knew were there. Its mouth open and closed, testing its jaw and gradually its lips moved.

From its throat, slurred out a single syllable in a broken mechanical voice.

“Ta…ta…”

Cora took that answer for a yes. “Can you run a systems check for me?”

“Ca….wu…chee…”

Cora slapped forehead with a sigh of impatience. Talk about a broken record, this thing must’ve had its software wiped, not doubt about it.

Okay…new plan.

“I’m Cora” she told it, pressing a hand on her chest, “Co-ra, what’s your name?”

Sitting more upright, the boy robot gave a blink.

“Cor…ra…”

oxoxoxoxo

(That's all I have so far revised ^_^; )
Last edited by Alittleacorn on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

iceytina
Kokoro Robot

Postby iceytina » 13 years ago

Wait, revised? I think I've read this on FF.net before? Or a story that was insanely similar... don't they end up going to a diner that doesn't allow robots, and though Cora lets Astro borrow her coat, people still laugh at him? I thought the story was really well-written but it was never finished and I felt CHEATED!!!!

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

"iceytina" wrote:Wait, revised? I think I've read this on FF.net before? Or a story that was insanely similar... don't they end up going to a diner that doesn't allow robots, and though Cora lets Astro borrow her coat, people still laugh at him? I thought the story was really well-written but it was never finished and I felt CHEATED!!!!

It's because I became busy with other projects and didn't have time for it. And revised means rewriting, so I'm going over it all to fix it up since I felt it had room for improvement. Chapter 3 will suffer the most editing! o.o

And it will be finishd, not giving up on this one so easily ;)

iceytina
Kokoro Robot

Postby iceytina » 13 years ago

I know what revising means, I was just like, eh she's revising it? Why did she post it here and did she post the revised chapters on FF.net too? =O

Oh, awesome. You write so well so I'm excited to see where you go with the story. If you want an editor, I'm open! Not that you need one though. Your writing is excellent =) Hope you have chapter 3 done soon! :heart:

Gotta Love ASTRO BOY
Cosmic Ranger

Postby Gotta Love ASTRO BOY » 13 years ago

Yes please write more soon you are a amasing writer

I-Am-Atom's-Sister
Robot President

Postby I-Am-Atom's-Sister » 13 years ago

Wow, awthum. This is how the movie should have gone.
XD Okay I've finished reading it now. You have GOT to write more. Seriously, this is the best story I've read, and it has ASTRO in it. XDD
Last edited by I-Am-Atom's-Sister on Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clothed Astro = cute little robot kid;
Naked Astro= Big damn hero.
~Shirubie

I :heart: :astro:

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

"iceytina" wrote:I know what revising means, I was just like, eh she's revising it? Why did she post it here and did she post the revised chapters on FF.net too? =O

Oh, awesome. You write so well so I'm excited to see where you go with the story. If you want an editor, I'm open! Not that you need one though. Your writing is excellent =) Hope you have chapter 3 done soon! :heart:

She? :confused: What are you talking about muffin, I am sapphirelights (o_o i'd never let anyone go editing my fic's and especially without my permission.) though I'm honestly thinking of changing my username on there to alittleacorn just to save confusion :hyo:

And already said in the first post, I'm going to post the revised ones here as they come out, then I'll replace the original chapters one by one with them on fanfiction.net.

Lol and it's okay I'm fine, the only thing I need is a beta reader :cry:

"I-Am-Atom's-Sister" wrote:Wow, awthum. This is how the movie should have gone.
XD Okay I've finished reading it now. You have GOT to write more. Seriously, this is the best story I've read, and it has ASTRO in it. XDD

Thanks, don't worry I will be editing more to post up on here XD and it's Atom!

"Gotta Love ASTRO BOY" wrote:Yes please write more soon you are a amasing writer

Will dooo, thank yooou! :3

Kabuitsu
Kokoro Robot

Postby Kabuitsu » 13 years ago

Good job. You sure know how to write a good fic.

Keep working!

...Or I'll Falcon Punch.

I-Am-Atom's-Sister
Robot President

Postby I-Am-Atom's-Sister » 13 years ago

Yeah, Atom. Whtever.
Lol XDD I was cleaning, and then I was thinking about this story, and I thought about how Atom twitched and then Cora screamed; and it just sounded so silly.
*twitch* "AAAAUGH!"
So I just start snikkering and in a moment I'm LOLing, and my mom had to come see if I was alright XD
Clothed Astro = cute little robot kid;
Naked Astro= Big damn hero.
~Shirubie

I :heart: :astro:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”