Astro Boy #2: The Diabolical Trap

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Astro Boy #2: The Diabolical Trap

Postby Fauna » 9 years ago

Hey guys, after a bit of a wait, I'm back with another book from the Pocket Jeunesse series of Astro Boy! As you may have seen in the previous thread, there was a France-exclusive series of six books, featuring all new stories by Gilles Degardinier. In this canon so far, Astro has been adopted by Ochanomizu/O'Shay, and Tenma lives in an underground base in the desert. Finally, I've got the second book in the series, and I'm ready to translate it again for you all!

Here's a photo of the cover, compressed with the hottest JPG technology of 1994:

"Professor O'Shay offered Astro Boy a magnificent gift: he created a little sister, Zoran! The two children make a getaway to Metro City and attend the opening of the largest toy store in the world! They do not yet know that this fabulous event hides a diabolical trap devised by the Lord of Darkness..."

How will the birth of Zoran go? What's this toy store going to be like? Who's this Lord of Darkness; is that a sequel to Army of Darkness? This weekend, I'm digging right into translating, and I'll update this thread with each new chapter (or as much as I'm allowed to post!)
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

CHAPTER ONE

The book opens with Astro in the middle of a race over Metro City Park, hanging out with a bluebird he's befriended. The bird is actually really clever, and has taken a liking to Astro because he's the first flying human it's ever seen.

The bird cuts through a mobile candy shop's cart, and Astro has to quickly maneuver over the cart's roof to avoid destroying it, although he does scare the candy cart owner. Astro and the bird head back to the Ministry of Science's roof, and observe the park.

It is here, in this great majestic tower, he was born and lived. Standing like a fortress, the building overlooked the park. For the entire city, it was a top-secret research lab, but for Astro, it was simply home.

Dr. O'Shay, the great scientist who created and taught him so much, lived there too. Although busy with his research, he always found time for Astro.

Astro is tired, but thanks his bird friend for being great at flying, and challenges it to race him between the skyscrapers in downtown Metro City. Nora meets Astro up on the roof after finally tracking him down, and is initially annoyed that Astro has kept her waiting for his daily studying. But after Astro introduces his bird friend, she finds it cute that he's befriended an animal, and even calls it his "flying teacher." The chapter ends, implying that O'Shay is busy working on something.
ImageImageImageImage

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Well, it looks like not a lot of people are commenting on each chapter as they happen this time, and I don't blame anyone; these are pretty remarkably short chapters so far, in comparison to book #3. I'm just gonna load these in, and hope I have enough tenure to avoid demerits for doubleposting...

CHAPTER TWO

This chapter is less than a page long in LibreOffice, so I'll post it in its entirety, since the dialogue is really interesting:

During Astro's studying with Nora, twenty floors below, in the heart of the Ministry of Science, important event was getting ready. Leaning over his desk, Dr. O'Shay rubbed his tousled hair upon seeing the plans for his latest creation. Yuko, his assistant, entered his office and showed him its programming statements. He said, satisfied:

"Very good! With such intensity, KTD has character. We've done well to push the temperamental modules. This will give it quite the animation! "

“I'm glad you're so enthusiastic,” said Yuko. "It's been a long time since I saw you smile."

"You know what it is, Yuko. Astro Boy is like my son, and although he's impressive on a mechanical level, I can't help getting worried for him.”

"But he finished each mission successfully and he always returned happy. I think he's very proud to work between humans and robots..."

"That's true, but he's still alone. He is perhaps the most advanced robot ever, but he is also a sensitive child. One can imagine the sadness in him.”

"But you're here, Professor! You're better than a father and we're all a little family... "

"You're right, Yuko, but I still think it was someone similar to him, with whom he can play with like he's a true child..."

"When do you think KTD #2 will be ready?"

"Her body is already assembled, and we are cultivating her face tissues. In a day or two, we can program her to start. But don't tell anyone, it's a secret. And this should remain a surprise for Astro. "

"He'll be overjoyed to discover his little sister!"

"I hope so. This will put a little more sunshine into my life. "

"Have you picked a name?"

"Zoran. She'll be called Zoran. "
Last edited by Fauna on Mon May 18, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a past tense error from the raw translation. Sorry!
ImageImageImageImage

FelicityRedbarrow
Metro City Citizen

Postby FelicityRedbarrow » 9 years ago

This is great! I look forward to the next chapter translation!

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

CHAPTER THREE

Another short chapter I'll post in full. This adds a sudden dark touch to the book, and even embellishes on the area around this series's Metro City. In addition to the Tamusu Desert being some miles from the city, there's now a nearby prominent mountain...

Far from Metro City, in the privacy of his palace dug into the bowels of the huge Kirokalu Mountain, the Lord of Darkness gave a scary smile. He savoured his victory in advance. This time Metro City would not have a choice. Either he would become its master, or all would be destroyed.

With his deep voice, the great dark figure called his magician.

“Golta!”

“Yes, Master?”

"I want everything to go according to my plan. One mistake and you will all be punished," he threatened.

"We strive to satisfy you, Master."

"For too long this city has resisted me. I can no longer stand it. But all this will soon be forgotten and a new era will begin. I will be the absolute leader of Metro City. Its riches are mine and its inhabitants will become my slaves, or they will perish... "

"The plan is infallible, Master. You will hit Metro City in the heart."

"Have you solved the problem of the army?"

"Right now, our men are introducing a computer virus that will paralyse all safety systems on the simple command from you..."

“Perfect.”

"As expected, in two days, the children of the city will be invited to pick a gift to celebrate the opening of Metro City's largest toy store."

The Lord of Darkness burst into diabolical laughter.

"How could they know that this is a trap? They'll all rush to it, too happy to think into it. It'll be such a great time! Once the children inside, while the party is in full swing, I myself will activate the secret systems that transform the store into a prison! We'll retain children as hostages until Metro City's authorities give me the power!"

"You are amazing, Master. No one will realize that toy store was a highly sophisticated armoured trap."

"The poor little ones will expect to discover a paradise of toys, when they'll land in hell!"

"This time, Master, your plan can not fail."

"Have you thought about that little monster Astro Boy? That boy has already cost us two of our most fearsome creatures. I don't want him to intervene once again between me and absolute power!"

"Nothing to fear, Master. The armour panels are impervious to everything, even to Astro Boy's lasers and advanced gadgets. He will have no chance to enter."

The Lord of Shadow wore a fresh smile. His horrible deformed face, hidden behind his metal mask, became animated.

"I look forward to see them all at my feet, begging me to spare their little darling babies. If they give me everything they have, then yes, perhaps they'll meet again... "

So who's this new villain?! Let's stay tuned!
ImageImageImageImage

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 9 years ago

It's great to see more translations from you for this story!

I'm liking the direction the book is taking on Zoran/Uran's origin story as well as the very blatant take on the "Ochanomizu is Astro/Atom's FATHER" theme that I like so much.

Looking forward to reading the next bunch!

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

CHAPTER FOUR

Astro finishes studying and he's anxious to go outside and fly, but Nora won't let him go until she quizzes him a bit more.

"Okay," she said. "Then you can go fly a bit if you feel like it. But first, tell me in what year was the first robot able to think and feel for himself as a human created?"

"In the year 2056. He was called Buck, and he was as big as a building. It wasn't until fifty years later from the day that a humanoid robot was made, a masterpiece of miniaturization for the time!"

The second question he answers is for which building in the city is the oldest, but he realizes it's a trick question...it used to be a museum's old location which has since been torn down for the new toy store. Astro then goes to see a new character, Professor Ashiro, who performs a quick test on Astro that's a lot like an eye examination.

"I know you love to fly often and very fast, but since yesterday, our control computers show a slight disruption in your guidance system. Normal, at your age! It's kind of a childhood illness for robots! It won't take us long to sort it out...”

"Perhaps this is the reason why my bird friend wins all the time!" thought Astro.

Ashiro points out how he's seen Astro do some crazy stunts, but warns him that O'Shay would be concerned if he saw what Astro was getting up to. Astro is confident in his safety, and asks Ashiro to keep the flying stunts a secret from O'Shay. After his settings test, Astro gets an update and feels weirdly dizzy for a short moment. O'Shay himself enters the lab and asks Astro to come with him.

Astro's frustrated at this point, and thinks that he's in for another long day of research and tests, but O'Shay is incredibly happy and eager to show him something in the deepest laboratories of the Ministry.

In the elevator going down to the laboratory floors, Astro Boy was observing with astonishment the broad smile of Professor O'Shay. He was not used to seeing him like this. The scientist, always so serious, had the air of a kid who was preparing a good joke.

"You really don't want to tell me anything?" Astro asked again.

The professor made a "no" with his head teasingly. He began to whistle. When the elevator passed the sixth basement, Astro Boy was even more surprised. It was rare that they'd go into the most secret laboratories of the Centre.

"I wonder what's happening," insisted Astro.

"All I can tell you, my boy, is that you are about to experience one of the most important moments of your life..."

When they get to their destination floor, Astro steps out, and O'Shay kneels down and begins to give him a gentle speech about something waiting for him in a door ahead, but then, the door bursts open and Zoran runs out in a floral dress, laughing. It turns out that she's been making the lab engineers play Hide and Seek with her for at least an hour. Zoran runs off, and O'Shay seems incredibly thrilled by how she's as animated as he had intended for her to be. Zoran then pops out of another room and sees Astro.

"I know who you are!" she called out, leaping to Astro.

She opened her arms wide, and before the robot child had time to react, she threw herself on him and squeezed with all her might.

“You're my big brother, Astro! Come on, let's play!”
ImageImageImageImage

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

CHAPTER FIVE

The morning after, it turns out that Zoran and Astro have spent the entire night playing and jumping around in their playroom. O'Shay and Yuko are incredibly satisfied with the results in building Zoran. When Astro notices the professor has arrived, he asks if he can take Zoran outside. O'Shay is reluctant, since Zoran is still a brand new robot, but he allows them as long as they're back by lunchtime.

In the park, Zoran reveals that she's very fast, and keeps exploring the park and showing Astro the animals she finds.

"And this, what is it?" she asked, clutching the struggling squealing animal.

"It's a dog," Astro explained. "And you should give it back to the angry lady coming up behind you before she hits you with her cane."

“Oops!” said Zoran, and she set down the animal.

The little dog took refuge in the legs of his mistress. Zoran gave it such a pretty smile that the lady calmed down. She picked up the animal and turned away.

"Phew, that was close! If ever we go to the zoo, promise not to bring me back a tiger!"

The kids notice that there doesn't seem to be any children in the park that day. Zoran begins to get bored, and talks Astro into showing her what downtown Metro City looks like. He has Zoran hold onto his shoulders and shows off some of his special flight moves before he goes out to the city.

They stop off in an alley before walking out to Peace Avenue, Metro City's major street. There's tall towers, moving walkways, crowds, and air carriers in the sky. Zoran is enamoured by all the new lights, colours, and clothes, and the kids walk for a short while, until they come across the crowds entering the new toy store.

There's clowns everywhere, and an announcer in a yellow suit is telling the crowding kids that all children who enter get a free teddy bear. Zoran leads Astro in, and the place is spectacular, filled with toys, costumes, and party music. Astro is uncomfortable with how all the employees are wearing clown masks. Once all the kids are in, suddenly, the windows and doors lock shut behind panels and cages, and the lights go out. When they come back on, they're red, and a smoke machine goes off. That's when a voice booms into the building...

"Hello, children! And thank you for responding to my invitation. Don't worry, we will not hurt you unless you disobey me..."

Despite the presence of hundreds of children, one could not hear any noise. Everyone listened as this disturbing voice emerged from nowhere.

"You do not know me," said the voice. "I am the Lord of Darkness. You will have the chance to be the first witnesses of my victory because, thanks to you, dear children, I will become the master of Metro City!"

Astro goes up to a costume display, and quickly slips into a fireman costume. Zoran is confused at first, but Astro intends for the security cameras to not immediately pick up that he's Astro Boy. Zoran understands, and gives him a knowing wink.

Lord of Darkness declares that his men will not hold back against anyone who disobeys, and kids throughout the store start to panic and cry. Astro calms down a sobbing blonde girl; he then warns Zoran to be careful while he tries to contact the Ministry and army, and examines the locked panels.

Once again, I'm really interested in where Legardinier is going with this! While reading this, I can practically see this in my head as a 1980s series episode. Astro is way more kid-like in these stories, at times a bit of a trickster, and Zoran is really cute and indomitable. I also love the image of Metro City as a clean, wide-open futuristic version of metropolitan France. I wish these books had illustrations, though.
ImageImageImageImage

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 9 years ago

This story does remind me a bit of Uran's origin story from the 1980 series, though in that one the vilians were out to steal robots.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

CHAPTER SIX

Astro carefully goes up to the iron walls, and uses the sensors in his fingers to detect what's in the metal: "titanium alloy in carbon, reinforced with nucleite". Astro realizes that this metal would take hours to even make a mark in with his lasers, so he tries to find another way out. He does notice that the building is constructed much like a large cage.

Astro notices that the employees in clown masks are gone suddenly. He detects there are 39 hidden cameras throughout the store, and the only place without one is the corner where Zoran is waiting. He goes and reports this to Zoran, who's cradling a now-peaceful toddler.

“ This trap was designed to be impregnable, but mostly from outside. I'm sure that the opening controls are inside the store. The Lord of Darkness probably expected that he'd get attacks from outside, but not inside...”

"He sees you as a robot, not like a child..."

"We have the advantage of surprise, little sister, and maybe twice the chance, because that big bad doesn't know that you exist..."

The army begins to try and break through the wall from the outside, but to no avail. Lord of Darkness comes on through the store radio and brags that the army has no chance, and he's also told them, within an hour he'll steal any one of the kids away. Astro realizes he needs to kick it into high gear.

He finds a few hidden doors that formerly had light behind them. He realizes that this is where the employees came from, so he uses his finger laser to weld the doors shut. This ensures that they won't be a threat again, but it does eat up some time. Astro also realizes that the Lord of Darkness can't be too far away.

Astro goes back to Zoran and makes a plan with her:

"I have a plan, but to succeed, I need you. Listen carefully. We can open the doors of this trap if we find the centre that controls them. I made sure the employees in clown mask can't intervene. So we just need to irritate the Lord of Darkness enough so he reveals himself. I bet he's hidden pretty close to the opening controls..."

Surprised and a little worried, Zoran exclaimed, "You wanna provoke the Lord of Darkness?"

"That's it. The push to react. You know, the best defense is often an attack..."

“I can help you?”

"You can run fast, faster than anyone?"

"I think so."

"Well, that's what you'll do over there..."
Last edited by Fauna on Thu May 21, 2015 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”