B&W horror & science fiction TV, etc.

Off topic discussion.
jeffbert
Minister of Science

B&W horror & science fiction TV, etc.

Postby jeffbert » 10 years ago

In response to a post by
"Tetsuwan Atom" wrote:
"tailz" wrote:*Sympathy pat* Don't worry, I feel like destroying the 90's Black Jack dubs sometimes, and I'm glad that us Latins got ahold of the 2004 series. (BJ's English voice was shallow and Not sexy. And Pinoko's English voice was not even close to being cute.)

As you can see, I perfer The original Japanese dubs when it comes to Tezuka anime.
I still din't think that English version of the BJ OVA's was that bad i watched it all dubbed as long as it is just okay i don't have much a of a problem with it.

jeffbert; wrote: It is rather common for people to fondly remember the things of childhood. Thus, people of different generations might argue about which version of a film or TV series was the best. Or anything else, not just stories. I grew up with these original TV series:

ASTROBOY
STAR TREK
THE OUTER LIMITS

ETC., As such, they have a special place in my memories, & though THE OUTER LIMITS is somewhat laughable by modern standards, it scared the hell out of me when I was little.
I know what you mean about the Outer Limits as you know i am a big fan of those old American shows.
I have seen a few episodes and some have really weird effects unless the Twilight Zone which many times deliberately avoided difficult effects (sometimes off screen) also it started in 1959 so that would also have been a thing.
But it still has become one of my favourite series of all time (watched everyhing in just under 8 months) haven't you not seen at least something of that back in the day jeffbert ?

I also have become a huge Rod Serling fan i'm watching his second series Night Gallery right now.
As for getting back to the Outer limits i might pick it up again next i did really like some of what i saw especially a episode about a man that never exsisted i saw that episode already 3 times i think.

I make this thread, so as to avoid going off-topic for an extended time.

"haven't you not seen at least something of that back in the day jeffbert ?" :unsure: :lol: Too many negatives to make that question clear. I will answer as I understand-- TTZ is also one of my favorites; though it has been a long time since I Stopped at Willoughby. :lol:

BTW, Sterling wrote PLANET OF THE APES, or at least was involved in the screenplay. He also wrote a version of A CHRISTMAS CAROL, in which Sterling Hayden portrayed the Scrooge character. I made a thread about it somewhere.

Yet, though I thoroughly enjoy TTZ, TOL is more memorable because it scared the hell out of me, especially DON'T OPEN TILL DOOMSDAY, & ARCHITECTS OF FEAR. Invisible Enemy is also one that scared me. Now, they are hilarious, I can hardly believe I was so frightened by them! :p I think the gray scale did a better job of frightening than color could, given the limitations on the special effects.
Last edited by jeffbert on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 10 years ago

My favorite episode of TOL was "Controlled Experiment" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled_Experiment. I think the episode was supposed to be a comedy, but it was good science fiction as well.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

I loved TTZ, my favorite episodes being I Sing the Electric Dream and Eye of the Beholder. There was another one though I can't remember the name of where the scenario was that everyone upon the age of about 18 had to choose a body that they would be molded into. They had a choice of about three, and one girl refused to conform.

One of my favorite lines of the entire series come from that show; "I'm not pretty but I'm most certainly not ugly either."

TOL I'm a little hazy on...

jeffbert
Minister of Science

When I saw that title, I thought it referred to the one with the radiation experiment, with both Nimoy & the pock-marked cheeks guy who would work for the GAMESTERS OF TRISKELION (Joseph Ruskin), & was the voice of the The Horla in diary of a madman. Oh, it isProduction and Decay of Strange Particles. :lol:

I think Controlled Experiment was o.k., in fact, a bit more like TTZ than TOL, for that matter, as was somewhat humorous.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0667822/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt

jeffbert
Minister of Science

"Earthshine" wrote:I loved TTZ, my favorite episodes being I Sing the Electric Dream and Eye of the Beholder. There was another one though I can't remember the name of where the scenario was that everyone upon the age of about 18 had to choose a body that they would be molded into. They had a choice of about three, and one girl refused to conform.

One of my favorite lines of the entire series come from that show; "I'm not pretty but I'm most certainly not ugly either."

TOL I'm a little hazy on...
i THINK MY favorite one is MAN IN A BOTTLE, though there is another genie one. Anyway, it has the best line of all, something like OH NO, I'M HITLER!

:lol: I think Ruskin was the genie.

Earthshine

Oh man. Anyone remember MST3K? I just watched an episode where they were riffing on The Head that Wouldn't Die XD What a turkey.

Back on topic of better black and white horror and sci-fi, one of my favorite movies of all time that I call 'horror' (though might be actually suspense) is Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? and The Bad Seed. These movies creep me out.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

"Earthshine" wrote:Oh man. Anyone remember MST3K? I just watched an episode where they were riffing on The Head that Wouldn't Die XD What a turkey.

Is that the one with the head suspended in mid air by a few hoses going into it? :lol: I would rather watch the film as made, than the MST3K version. :lol:

I never saw Baby Jane, it just did not seem like my kind of horror.

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

Postby Tetsuwan Atom » 10 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:"haven't you not seen at least something of that back in the day jeffbert ?" :unsure: :lol: Too many negatives to make that question clear. I will answer as I understand-- TTZ is also one of my favorites; though it has been a long time since I Stopped at Willoughby. :lol:
I'm sorry for that as you probably know my first languague is not English so mistakes like this are very common once in a while if i don't look for them, 8 to 7 years ago i coudn't even speak any English.
But i'm still happy you replied and gave that information about MR Serling you spelled his name wrong :lol: i will check the series/films you gave me thanks.

It was suppose to be something like : Have you not at least seen something of it back in the day ?
Last edited by Tetsuwan Atom on Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Osamu Tezuka God of Manga Father of Anime RIP 1928-1989
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnimeNewsNetwork1?feature=mhum

Earthshine

"jeffbert" wrote:
"Earthshine" wrote:Oh man. Anyone remember MST3K? I just watched an episode where they were riffing on The Head that Wouldn't Die XD What a turkey.

Is that the one with the head suspended in mid air by a few hoses going into it? :lol: I would rather watch the film as made, than the MST3K version. :lol:

I never saw Baby Jane, it just did not seem like my kind of horror.

Close, it was a woman whose head was put in a box because it just wouldn't die and she was evil and had her boy-toy scientist try and find her a suitable body to reattach her head to. There was this igor thing in 'the basement' as well whose mask was TIED in the back and you could see it.

Baby Jane and Bad Seed were more like psychological horrors to me, and the most scary thing about them was that every single thing about them could happen, and do happen on a routine basis. But it's just so shocking it's quite terrifying.

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

Postby Tetsuwan Atom » 10 years ago

"Earthshine" wrote:I loved TTZ, my favorite episodes being I Sing the Electric Dream and Eye of the Beholder. There was another one though I can't remember the name of where the scenario was that everyone upon the age of about 18 had to choose a body that they would be molded into. They had a choice of about three, and one girl refused to conform.

This is the Title you where looking for : ''Number 12 Looks Just Like You''

As for me favourie episodes of TTZ hard to choose but maybe a few i can think of : ''To serve men'' "Time Enough at Last" ''Hocus-Pocus and Frisby'' ''Five Characters in Search of an Exit'' ''A Game of Pool'' ''No Time Like the Past'' ''The Hunt'' ''The Last Night of a Jockey'' ''A Kind of a Stopwatch'' ''A Nice Place to Visit'' i know it is a bit much but i think this are the best episodes (or at least somewhat close) you should check out ,when it comes to seasons i think season 3 has the best episodes overall.
Last edited by Tetsuwan Atom on Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Osamu Tezuka God of Manga Father of Anime RIP 1928-1989

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnimeNewsNetwork1?feature=mhum

Return to “General Discussion”