Arthur (short story)

Show off all your awesome art, writings and other creations here.
TetsuwanToby
Rocket Ball Champion

Arthur (short story)

Postby TetsuwanToby » 8 years ago

This is a short story about a girl and a robot named Arthur. It gets sad at some points but I think you guys will enjoy it! Here we go! (I'm only uploading the first paragraph first as a teaser ;) )

There she was sitting alone, all was quiet in her own world, but outside was loud with passing hover cars and people carrying on and on about nothing. Tucking her light chocolate brown hair behind her pierced ear she took a nip from her coffee. Sighing looking up at the sky with her pale-green eyes, glistening as light from the café bounced on them making her daydream look apparent. Her tawny, young skin barely exposed as she was wearing a pink knitted sweater that went down past her hips and draping her arms and extending over her hands. Black tights holding her elfin legs and covered by beige boots strapped onto her by a zipper and a belt. Her light pastel lips curl at each end forming a slight smile as she whispers, “Arthur.” Taking in a breath she lets a tear roll down her rosy cheek and down her round face. “Oh Arthur,” she whispers once more taking another nip at her caffeine; her thoughts interrupted by a giggling child pulling on an androids hand across the street. She looked for a long time watching the child and the robot get along so easily, far different then how the adults and robots get along. Her observation was cut off by a passing hover car. Looking down at her coffee she thinks back to her old life in Canada, her childhood. Back when everything made sense. She had her father, her best friend, her- her innocence. She smiled and thought back to that time.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

100% pure cartoon fanatic

TetsuwanToby
Rocket Ball Champion

The story begins! :D

Chapter 1. Hello Arthur

It was a rainy day and Shyler sat by the windowsill patiently awaiting her father to come home, like she always had done. He had told her the night before that he had a very special gift for her and that he would help her put it together. Oh what could it be? The scent of hot coco in the room made her more excited to know. Her mother walked towards her and handed the cup of the sweet, hot liquid to her. Shyler smiled wide and took a small sip. She liked to savor tastes and to enjoy things for a long time. She began to giggle as her nanny bot sat down next to her, the bot gently brushed her hair into place smoothing the strands together.
“Cathy?” Shyler asked quietly.
“What is it madam?” Cathy responded.
“What do you think father has got for me?” Cathy laughed at this and just responded with an I’m not sure, you’ll have to wait. At that moment there was a loud knocking at the front door. Cathy quickly got to her feet and hurried to answer. She was a good robot, she listened to commands and did as her programming tells her. She stood at the the door talking to a man from the robot factory. After a long moment Cathy closed to the door quietly. She walked back into the kitchen and set a large box down at the dinning table.
“Father?” Shyler asked in a hushed voice. Cathy turned to face Shyler and dipped down her head.
“I’m so sorry Shyler, your father has had a terrible accident at the factory. He's, gone.” Annie's hands fell dead at her side as she took in the words Cathy had spoken. She fell to her knees and began to cry. Shyler just sat where she had been before eyes wide and lost. She couldn't cry, she wanted to but for some reason no tears will fall. She just watch her mother on the floor Cathy at her side. Everything she had known was lost.
Weeks went by, months, years. Shyler was now 7 even after 3 years without her father, she never cried. She had no shoulder to cry on, her mother was a lost cause, Cathy was always busy with working around the house, and to top it off Shyler had no friends. She had quite school soon after her father died. Without him she felt like she couldn't move on in life, so what was the point of school?
She never opened the box that was brought home that day. It just sat in a damp corner in her room. She sat on her double bed holding her scraped knees close to her chest. Resting her chin on top she looked at the box. What has father got for me? She thought quietly to herself. Shaking her head she got up from her bed and crawled over to the corner where the box was, dragging it to the center of the bedroom. The box was long vertically, about 4’3” long. Shyler was about 4’5”. She got up and snatched a pair of scissors from her drawer across the room. Carefully cutting the box open.
Goosebumps covered her whole body as a light chill ran down her spine as she looked inside.
“A robot...” She whispered to herself. She stood up reaching into the box pulling the small robot out. Dragging its legs on the ground she sat it up against a wall. Sitting in front of the machine she looked at every detail. It looked so human, like a human child. The only way to tell it was a robot was that it's eyes where slightly larger than a human and its ears came to a slight point at the end. That was it everything else about was so human. But that didn't scare Shyler it intrigued her, she became curious, she wanted to turn it on.
Looking back inside the bed she found a small piece of paper, it had 3 instructions:
1. Place the heart inside the robots chest, and latch it into place.
2. Call it awake.
3. Say “I love you.”
Shyler knew it was her father’s handwriting. He had made her a friend. Her father had understood Shyler`s feelings towards people, and knew she had a hard time meeting knew friends and talking to people in general. She smiled a little and picked up a smaller box. Opening it up she picked up a small heart. Walking back over to the robot she lifted up its white shirt and pressed its chest causing a cavern to form. A robotic arm came out with three fingers, two on top and one on the bottom.
She took a deep breath placing the heart into the claw like hands, she watched as the heart latched into place and the chest closing on its own. Looking down at the paper and back up at the robot she called out hello. The robots eyes began to flicker open and its small finger began to twitch. It looked up and said hello. Shyler shivered and looked into its light blue eyes. She wasn't sure if she wanted to say those last three words. The thought made her nervous and uneasy.
“What's your name?” Shyler asked awkwardly. The robot tilted its head and had a look of confusion on its face. It was thinking really hard trying to figure out what the question meant. It then perked up and began to speak.
“Name, my name is 2456785.” Shyler looked at him confused and slightly annoyed.
“No that's not a name, that's just some coding programmed into you.” Shyler said rolling her eyes. “If you don't have a name I'll just give you one ok?” She looked around the room searching for something to name the robot. Looking at her bookshelf she noticed an old book her father had given her. It had been passed down for several generations. The book titled “Arthur’s Nose” about an anteater. The book had been written in 1976 and it was now the year 3020. It's surprising that the book was still intact. She looked back at the robot and smiled a little. “Arthur, that's your name now.” The robot sat up and smiled.
“Arthur, that's my name.” Arthur stated confidently. Shyler giggled a bit and held Arthur's hand.
“I’m Shyler, that's my name.” Shyler said sweetly. Arthur looked down at their hands and he curled his fingers into the spaces in hers. She looked down and began to blush. She knew this was the beginning of a lifelong friendship, her first and only friendship.
She and Arthur would go everywhere together. They would walk all around Montreal. They would sleep together and play together. Soon Shyler began to go to school again, she knew robots weren't allowed to go to school so she would walk home with him and teach him everything she had learned that day. Everything had been perfect for her, but we all know that good times never last.
Last edited by TetsuwanToby on Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 8 years ago

Nice, but bittersweet. Almost like Atom's story, but with a sideways slant, as if it was Tenma that had died and not Tobio. Hope you will continue it (how's the wrist?)

I think this should have been posted in the 'Fan Creations' slot, even though it isn't an "Astro" story, it still is a fan created fiction. (I've posted Black Jack fictions here).
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

TetsuwanToby
Rocket Ball Champion

Thanks that helps a lot!
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 8 years ago

"Tetsuwan Penguin" wrote:I think this should have been posted in the 'Fan Creations' slot, even though it isn't an "Astro" story, it still is a fan created fiction. (I've posted Black Jack fictions here).

Good point. I'll go ahead and move it.

TetsuwanToby
Rocket Ball Champion

Chapter 2. Robots cry, goodbye Cathy

Years past and Shyler was now 15 years of age. Arthur stayed the same but adapted to Shylers growth to remain a good friend. Although Arthur was made to be a child his brain was much older.

“Mom, you can't get rid of Cathy! She's a family member!” Shyler yelled. Arthur was surprised by her actions, she never acted that way before but emotion can change a person. He just stood still next to Cathy.

“ Shyler don't be stupid now, Cathy is just a replaceable machine. We can get a new Cathy, a better one.” Her mother spoke these words in a cold tone. Shyler looked over at Cathy then back at her mother with finery eyes.

“How could you say that! She's not just replacable! She has her own personality and thoughts. Those cant just be replaced! She's has always been there for me when your not! Mother-“ she was cut off by a hard stinging slap. Shyler looked down at the floor with gritted teeth. “Mother, please.” She chocked out.

“The factory truck will be here tomorrow morning. Cathy is obsolete, she can't work anymore. Look at her Shyler she's tired and rusted, the best thing to do is to end her suffering.” Annie spoke without a soul. Heartless. She had become that way soon after her father had died.

“Upgrade her! Mother please.” Shyler was now on her knees begging her mother.

“You an I both know that they don't upgrade outmoded robots.” Shylers eyes widened at the thought of Cathy being ripped limb from limb in the factories scrap shop. She Shook her head back and forth, just as she was about to speak again she was stopped by a robotic hand on her shoulder. She looked up at Cathy who was shaking her head.

“Come along Shyler, I'll read to you.” Cathy said obviously uncomfortable. Shyler stood up slowly giving her mother a cold look. Arthur felt a shiver rush down his metal spine. He had never seen Shyler like this and it scared him.

They walked upstairs to Shylers room leaving her mother Annie alone in the kitchen. Shyler seemed to have calmed down a bit and looked at Arthur who was still upset.

“I'm sorry Arthur, I didn't mean to scare you.” Arthur walked over to her and wrapped his arms around her waist and hugged her tight, face buried in her stomach. She smiled then walked over to her bed sighing as she tucked herself and Arthur in. Cathy walked over to the bookshelf and picked up the book titled “Arthur's Nose.” Sitting on the bed she began to read. Cathy read slowly to savor her time with the two that she had come to love.

By the time she finished reading the book Shyler had fallen asleep. Cathy sat there petting her hair and re-reading the book quietly several times, each time reading slower. The night turned to sunrise and Cathy stood up. “I love you Shyler.” Cathy whispered petting her hair one last time. That's when Cathy felt it, something wet falling down her face. She placed her finger up to her eye and caught a droplet. A tear, an actual tear. With a shaky sigh Cathy walked towards the door.

“Goodbye Cathy, I'll miss you.” Cathy turned to see Arthur sitting up. She formed a fake smile.
“Take care of her for me.” Cathy said then closed the door, and looked at Shyler for one last time.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

manga_or_manha
Kokoro Robot

Postby manga_or_manha » 8 years ago

you put it online
yay! :p :wub:

TetsuwanToby
Rocket Ball Champion

This chapters kind of short sorry I had to go to work today :whistling:

Chapter 3. What about Arthur?

The morning came and Cathy was gone. The house felt so empty without her and the new robot was more robotic than human. It just did its job without saying anything besides yes or yes ma'am. Arthur became lonely because when Shyler was at school he would talk with Cathy but he couldn't do that now.
We all know as time goes on life can get worse.
“Moving? What do you mean? Like to another province?” Shyler asked her mother nervously.
“No Shyler I mean to another country. We are moving to America more specifically New York.” Her mother responded quite cheerful.
“But what about Arthur? You know they don't allow AI robots move to other countries. It's against robot law.” Upon hearing this Arthur backed slowly out of the kitchen and ran up to Shylers bedroom.
“Arthur will have to be left behind, either deactivate him so he can be scrapped or sell him to someone else.” Annie said flatly. Shyler felt a chill run through her body. Leave Arthur? Arthur had been made by her father, for her, there was no way she was giving him up.
“No mom I will not leave or scrap Arthur. Father gave him to me, he's family, doesn't that mean anything to you?” Shyler spoke slowly and with a hint of harshness.
“It's a machine a replaceable tool. They are made to be useful for a few years then they are seen as obsolete and gotten rid off. They are replaceable . So no that machine means nothing to me.” Shyler began to argue after her mother had said this but was cut off by Annie. “If you don't rid of the robot by tonight I'll do it myself. Pack your bags we are leaving in a few days.”
Shyler had come to hate her mother. She was selfish and all she cared about was her feelings, if she didn't get her way she’d lose it. She didn't used to be that way but after her father had died well everything changed.
Still Shyler never cried when he died, she didn't cry for Cathy either, but Arthur. Oh Arthur the thought of leaving him made her heart break as she head up the spiral staircase. Looking at Arthur alone sitting on her bed with his head in his small knees. Shyler closed the door quietly behind her.
“If I were human, would I be crying?” Arthur asked with a cracked voice. Shyler bit her lip suppressing the tears that began to form. Her throat felt like it had a rock, making it hard to swallow.
“I think so.” She finally replied sitting next to him. “You'll be ok, I have a plan. Don't you worry alright Arthur? Don't cry.” Shyler spoke her words softly as she held the robot close.
Arthur looked up at her looking her in the eyes. “Plan?” He whispered. Shyler nodded.
“A very special plan, I promise we won't be separated ever again after this.” Arthur felt goosebumps form on his artificial skin. Separated? They where going to be separated? Shyler was quick to notice Arthur's uneasiness.
“Arthur we won't be separated for long. My plan is to deactivate you and then hide you away. Then when I obtain enough money I'll move back here and reboot you. Either that or I'll sneak you over the border.” Upon hearing the plan Arthur seemed to calm down a bit.
“You promise?”
“I promise Arthur.”
Shyler nodded and unzipped Arthur's black jacket revealing his chest. She gently pressed down on his chest and it opened revealing his heart. Shyler’s hands began to shake as she gripped the heart.
“Shyler.” She looked up at Arthur who was smiling.
“I love you Shyler.” Shyler began to cry as she pulled the heart. She wasn't ready to say those words yet.
“I'm sorry.” She said as Arthur's eyes began to droop and his body became limp. He fell forward in to Shyler’s arms, dead, his body became pale and translucent. Shyler just sat there and held Arthur in her arms.
“I'm sorry.”
Last edited by TetsuwanToby on Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

TetsuwanToby
Rocket Ball Champion

Ok enough sad things time to give this story a little bit of hope ;)

Chapter 4. Mathew

“Hey! Wake up! Come on.” Shyler heard a faint voice in the distance, it was the voice of a male. She shot upward looking around the café. Hoping it was Arthur. She looked up to a taller man looking over her with his hand on her shoulder. He looked about her age. His black hair tucked behind his ears. His mouth was covered by a scarf. Taking off his glasses he began to speak. “Good morning sleeping beauty.” He began to clean his glasses.
Shyler just looked down at her coffee with a red face. She wasn't good at talking to people. She tried to speak but the words wouldn't come out.
The boy just looked at her, putting his glasses back on her said,” My names Mathew, what's yours?” She looked up at Mathew and took a small breath.
“Sh-Shyler, my… my names Shyler.” She spoke very quietly. Mathew smiles a little and pulled out his wallet.
“Here I'll pay for you. Oh and I'm your new work partner. I'll be your assistant at the lab.” He spoke as he scanned his card into the tables card box.
Her new work partner? She never had a work partner before, she was fine by herself. Besides the research she was working on was top secret, no one could work on it but her. It was about Arthur, she had spent all her years in college learning about robotics and finally landed this job. She had to find her fathers work files to see how Arthur worked, why was he so special, so, so human. No one could find out what she was doing, no one was allowed to know about Arthur. He didn't follow the robot laws, he was not allowed to exist. Shyler had realized that after she had applied for this job. How could she trust this boy she just met. Her thoughts where cut off by Mathews voice.
“By the way, did you hear the news? You know about how they found a child robot under the floor boards of an abandoned house?” Shylers eyes became wide and felt her heart drop to her stomach. Arthur. She thought to herself.
“Child r-robot?” She asked body quivering.
“Yes but our company picked it up so we get to. Do some tests, the only problem is weave missing a piece of the robot, it's heart.” He said looking off into space.
How had she not heard about this? Was she just not paying attention? Oh god Arthur. How will she get him back? Why did they send him over the border if he was an AI? So many questions ran through her head at a thousand miles an hour. She shook her head and stood up abruptly.
“I'm sorry Mathew but I need to head back to the lab now.” Shyler said preparing her coffee to go. Mathew looked at her confused but then figured it out in his head. Standing up he grabbed her hand to stop her from leaving.
“AI robot model 2456785 created by Doctor Daniel. He began the project in the year 3013 telling everyone it was for his daughter, he died 4 years later from an “accident at the lab” he had sent his partner to send the completed robot to his home where it would be safe. Then in the year 3027 Daniels family disappeared without a trace. AI’s are not allowed to cross the border, so where was the robot? In the old abandoned house Daniel used to live in. It's now the year 3030 and I finally found the girl who knows the robot.” Shyler tried pulling away as Mathew spoke these words but his grip was to firm. She had to run she had to hide his heart, Arthur's heart was with her the whole time, it was easy to smuggle that over the border, but not the actual machine. She kept pulling, she was almost there, so was almost able to reboot Arthur. She was going to move back to Canada and live with Arthur forever, but now.
“I have no idea what your talking about.” She whispered fear in her eyes. Mathew pulled her close to him and put his lips close to her ear.
“Arthur is safe Shyler.” He whispered softly. Chills traveled through her body as she turned to face him.
“Who are you? Why do you know my family? How do you know about Arthur?” She asked these questions fast but in a hushed tone. She didn't want anyone to hear there conversation.
“Why don't we go somewhere more private.” He said pulling her away from the table and and out the door. He opened his car door and sat her in the passenger seat. As the hover car drove away, Shyler looked back watching the café disappear slowly in the distance. They traveled further and further until the café was no longer in sight.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

TetsuwanToby
Rocket Ball Champion

Chapter 5. She cries

They pulled up to the lab, it was closed today no workers around. Shyler had special access to the lab. Meaning she could go in at anytime even after hours. Everything was on lockdown but she had access to it all.
Opening the door to her office she quickly turned on the her computer. Mathew sat down in a chair on the other side of the room. Turning on the lights Shyler asked again. “Who are you?”
Mathew looked up at her and smiled a little. “I'm your work assistant, but also an agent working against the government, you get it? Not with the government, against it.” He looked up at the ceiling and continued. “ I know all about your family and your fathers work. He to was working against the government. I was chosen to work on the case of your fathers death and your families disappearance. In my search I was also looking for the robot your father had worked on. So I found you. But where's the robot, now in the hands of the government. This stupid facility, and you have been going against company law. Your working on Arthur aren't you?” Shyler looked at him, she couldn't trust him, no way could she trust him. “Let we rephrase that, your working on your fathers research. Look Shyler I want to help you, I know you have Arthur's heart, we can get Arthur because you have the keys. Don't you want to see him again?”
Shyler looked at him as she bit her lip. She wanted to see Arthur again, she really really did.
“I'll unlock the room Arthur's in, but if you try anything I swear-“ Mathew stood up and walked over to her putting his index finger on her lips.
“Trust me, alright?”
She slapped his hand away and picked up her keys.
“What room is he in?” Mathew smiled and began to lead the way. They traveled far down into the buildings structure. She hadn't known it went down this far. Is this guy tricking her? She shouldn't have trusted him, this was a stupid idea. He knows everything about her. She was about to speak but was hushed by the slowing elevator.
“Level 10.” Mathew said and walked out to the hallway, Shyler followed quietly. They came up to a room at the end of the long hallway. Her hands began to shake violently as she fumbled with her keys trying to find the right one. She found it and stuck the key into the lock. Once she heard a click she slowly pushed the door open. Heart racing and beating so loud she could hear it and wondered if Mathew could hear it to.
Arthur, he was actually there. She felt her heart skip a beat as she ran over to the child robot. Nothing changed, he still looked the same. He had the same pale skin, the same honey hair. She turned back to Mathew who was watching her silently.
“Do you have the heart?” He asked looking at Arthur now. Shyler nodded and opened her small hand bag pulling it out. Walking over to Arthur she placed her hand on his bare chest and pressed down gently. She felt a rush of excitement come over her as the claw like hand copayment out. Placing the heart in she backed away. Arthur's chest closed and all was quiet.
Placing her lips up to the robots ear she whispered, “Hello Arthur.” Arthur immediately began to respond just as he did 13 years ago. His eyes flickered open and his body began to move. As he began to sit up Shyler thought about the last step in her fathers instructions. She pulled the machine up and placed him on the floor. Looking up at her Arthur was about to speak.
“Shy-“ he was immediately cut off.
“I love you to Arthur.” Shyler spoke these words firm and confident. Arthur's eyes became big and he stood up and ran over to her burying his face into her chest and wrapping his arms around her.
“I've been waiting so long to hear those words.” Upon hearing this Shylers vision became blurry. She put her face on Arthur's shoulder and cried, she cried for Arthur, she cried for Cathy, she cried for her father. She finally cried.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Return to “Fan Creations”