The Ultimate Japanese Box Sets from 2004!

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Fauna
Beyond the Stars

The Ultimate Japanese Box Sets from 2004!

Postby Fauna » 10 years ago

About six or seven years ago, I bid on an Australian auction for four figures that had apparently been bundled with the Japanese DVD release of the 2003 series. I had tried to bid, but the seller cancelled it prematurely because we weren't bidding as much as she wanted. I was 14 years old at the time, and I must have messaged her ten times, begging to see the auction relisted. Then, a few months ago, I searched Yahoo Auction Japan on a whim...

These are the first and third sets, out of four. They're absolutely gorgeous. The boxes are holographic, and have backs/insides featuring scenes of space and Metro City.

Each set includes three DVDs, a set of postcards with DVD volume artwork, a trading card in each DVD, and a short guidebook with episode and character data. Not to mention the gorgeous figures.

I haven't tested the DVDs out yet, but only because they're totally brand new. The box set with Astro hasn't even been removed from the plastic wrap yet. The only thing wrong with any of these is how the plastic film on the first volume's window has tinted with age, but the box and figure within look perfectly fine.

I want to take Astro out of the box super badly. You can interchange his hand with his open arm cannon.

And here's my gorgeous scumbag husband. Of the six official figures of Dr. Tenma ever made, this is the best figure of Tenma I've EVER seen. He's never been removed from his plastic shackles, which makes me super thrilled to be this figure's first owner, but at the same time he's too pristine to remove.

I'm going to explore the DVDs and books this weekend! I'll hopefully have some scans and further photos up!

(I also hope my phone comes back to life so I can take better photos.)

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

That's absolutely FANTASTIC! :w00t:

Too bad we didn't get to have a release like that for the ELV. Beautiful!

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

I'm absolutely in love with these boxes. I need to make room on my shelf so I can display them. Maybe somewhere between the Sailor Moon wall and the Giant Robo wall...

There's another two sets out there somewhere - Uran with box one and Blue Knight with box four - but I haven't found a BK for less than 10,000 yen anywhere, and the one affordable Uran set doesn't ship to Canada. I am happy as it is with Astro and Tenma, though!

Kirben
Kokoro Robot

Postby Kirben » 10 years ago

The figures in the Astro Boy (2003) box sets released in Japan are great, I got the Blue Knight a few years ago, when it was still for sale.

The first box set with Astro Boy figure is still available from Amazon (Japan), and I'm surprised the figure looks so different to the image they provide. I skipped the first box set, since I didn't like the action pose shown.

If only we could get decent subtitles for these DVD releases.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 10 years ago

Squealing I saw this in the tag on tumblr

I want that Atom figure ;-;

Also, them boxes be damn spiffy, that's for sure. :3

Too bad he doesn't get this kind of respect in the USA. :<
lolwut

Dante69
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Dante69 » 10 years ago

Be cool. Be cool... (talking to myself).
:tenma: :astro: :o cha: LOL

tailz
Banned

Postby tailz » 10 years ago

"Fauna" wrote:
Each set includes three DVDs, a set of postcards with DVD volume artwork, a trading card in each DVD, and a short guidebook with episode and character data. Not to mention the gorgeous figures.

The Japanese DVDs look soo much better than the English DVDs. All the English ones had were with Astro with a generic metallic looking background. :shifty:

These are waaaay much better. :) Me likie! :) :astro:
Hello! If you wish to speak with me on other sites then Follow me on these sites below:

http://my.desktopnexus.com/tailz/

http://www.aimini.net/look/?pid=d24TGUDedhOYX1QAcgzS

http://nanonanopudding.deviantart.com/

Keep in mind that I do Not own theses sites. These sites belong to their rightful owners. Thank you. :)

My fansite:http://blackjackpudding.webs.com/apps/profile/84233730/

[sigpic][/sigpic]

I love 初音ミク :heart:

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 10 years ago

I look at that, and then I look at what we got, and THEN I look at what other anime box sets in America get (They often get better treatment) and I then I get sad :(

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

So, great news! I finally got the second box set, featuring DVDs 4-6 and Uran!

I bought this from Amazon Japan, listed as "good" condition, but the only things wrong with it are some wear on the opening flap, and Uran's plastic holder has been opened. It's a near-new set and I'm really glad to have her join the family!

The DVDs once again have really gorgeous episode-themed artwork. They each have a trading card - this round of cards are Uran, Pluto & Dark Pluto (Acheron in the dub), and Yuko - and there's a set of postcards and a guidebook.

Like with Tenma's figure, Uran is made of a lightweight PVC/Vinyl blend. She comes with a stand, and this is said to be the most accurate figure ever made of her 2003 version. I love her 2003 version the most of all of them, so I'm glad to have this!

The final box set with DVDs 10-12 includes Blue Knight, but it tends to run in the $100-$150 range, depending on condition. I'm not too big on the Blue Knight, so I'll wait until I can find a relaly good deal on him to complete the collection.

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

That is so awesome!

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”