Rock Holmes/Macbeth/Makube

Off topic discussion.
Daiya Mondo
Metro City Citizen

Rock Holmes/Macbeth/Makube

Postby Daiya Mondo » 10 years ago

ah, super sorry if this is in the wrong board and if this thread might be rather annoying thanks to my fangirlism. i was kind of nervous about making a rock thread, despite everyone in the greet thread egging me on to do so. i was scared of going overboard or annoying anyone, but i wasn't really participating in other threads (because i'm shy and kind of nervous about not knowing a whole lot about tezuka stuff, beyond the characters rock and hamegg who i really like for some reason). but, i decided to cut my losses and just go with it.

rock from the 2003 astro boy series is the first incarnation of him i had ever seen, and to be honest, episode 34 was the first astro boy episode i had seen completely. you could say that the 2003 incarnation is the one i first fell in love with, even if rock in this incarnation might not be my favorite out of the stuff i had seen, but this one has a really special place in my heart! :wub:

basically, my feelings for 2003 rock holmes can be summed up as;

i really like how smug and haughty he is, i personally find that there's two different flavors of this smugness depending on whether you watch the dub or the japanese version (with hong kong subs but even then). rock is a lot more 'cool' in the japanese version i find, while he's more snotty and such in the dub aka WALLY WINGERT POWER HOUR.

i'll probably update this later, but, here's the (awkwardly cropped) screencaps i took of rock in episodes 34 and 35!

ep 34: deformation of moopie / shapeshifter
click for spoilerImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ep 35: atom vs rock / phoenix
click for spoilerImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

to be honest, one of my favorite outfits that rock wears is the red one in episode 35. :wub:

anyway, i have a dumb headcanon (to be honest, i stole it from Fauna) where rock had lied about redeeming himself and that he lost his psychic powers at the end of the episode. which was something that never really made sense to me, why would "fire bird" take away his powers? why would he lose them? where would they go? how would he know that they were gone?

i guess that's the direction my rather self-indulgent AB 2003 fanfiction will go if i get around to writing it. :blush:

but here's to rock holmes/macbeth/makube, the character that got me into tezuka's works in the first place! and special mention to the 2003 version for entrancing me! :wub:

Windswept Cloak
Banned
Location: Sitting at my desk, surrounded by books and papers.

Postby Windswept Cloak » 10 years ago

I can draw him. lol. In fact he appears as a backround character in my doujinshi. Maybe I'll post that someday, when I can. ;)
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

Daiya Mondo
Metro City Citizen

"Kuo-Yi" wrote:I can draw him. lol. In fact he appears as a backround character in my doujinshi. Maybe I'll post that someday, when I can. ;)

ah i've drawn him a few times, but they aren't very good in my honest opinion.
click for spoilerImageImage

and you should post it someday!

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

No worries for fangirling! However I did move this thread into the General Discussion. The Astro Boy Discussion board is reserved strictly for Astro Boy and characters from Astro Boy (although Rock does make many appearances...)

Anyway I like this character a lot. I was first introduced to him in Tezuka's Phoenix and was really captivated by him... He's not really an evil character but rather gray. I am fond of characters like these.
Last edited by Earthshine on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daiya Mondo
Metro City Citizen

"Earthshine" wrote:No worries for fangirling! However I did move this thread into the General Discussion. The Astro Boy Discussion board is reserved strictly for Astro Boy and characters from Astro Boy (although Rock does make many appearances...)

Anyway I like this character a lot. I was first introduced to him in Tezuka's Phoenix and was really captivated by him... He's not really an evil character but rather gray. I am fond of characters like these.

AHHHHH i'm so sorry for putting it in the wrong board!!

phoenix was the second incarnation of him i saw, i think? it was either phoenix: future or metropolis i saw second. Fauna had given me the subtitled episode of phoenix with rock before lending me the manga with him in it, i really liked him there too. more so the manga than anything, even if it left me feeling melancholy thanks to the last shot you see of him is him crying and alone.

i couldn't help but feel a little frustrated with him in phoenix, probably for relying so much on hallelujah and never going against it along with the whole sort of dooming everyone, but i felt sorry for him all the same. he really is in the "grey" area in that manga. it made him a lot more complex, and likable at the same time?

Earthshine

Don't worry about it, these things happen ;)

Tezuka had a penchant for making Rock one of those 'villains' that was very easily liked or sympathized with. In Metropolis I just wanted to give him a hug. I don't think there are many incarnations of Rock where he is truly 'evil' in any of Tezuka's works... Every incarnation of him has that murky gray sort of alignment when it comes to his moral compass.

Windswept Cloak
Banned
Location: Sitting at my desk, surrounded by books and papers.

Postby Windswept Cloak » 10 years ago

He is a very well-developed character. :)
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

Daiya Mondo
Metro City Citizen

metropolis, the film anyway, is probably my favorite incarnation with him! i dunno if it was that whole "he's so sad and misunderstood, i want to hug him!!!" thing or the fact that he is kind of insane and borderline "yandere" for his father? it's probably a mix of the two when i think about it.

gosh. i have so many screenshots of him in metropolis that i want to share (i've rewatched the movie so many times just to watch the movement and detail put into him @~@).

i'll just post a few. of my favorites. oh jeez.

click for spoilerImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

okay, there's a lot more but that would be a lot of images to put in one reply. :blush:

Earthshine

It's an image treasure trove!! :lol:

What does 'yandere' mean? I took Japanese for 6 years but still some of these terms slip by me. I only just learned a few weeks ago what 'tsundere' was supposed to be. I'm quite out of the loop when it comes to anime now.

Daiya Mondo
Metro City Citizen

image dump #3

here's a link that might help you understand a little more? but, basically, it could be summed up as sweet and harmless on the outside, obsessive and crazy about their beloved on the inside. though, that definition might not quite work when it comes to rock. it's usually used incorrectly, people usually use it when it comes to "yangire" which is basically a yandere without a love interest.
i guess i only say this--not saying that rock feels romantic feelings towards his "father" (though some people may intrepret it as that)--because he's oddly devoted and possessive over duke red. ("there's no way that i would ever let a robot steal my father's heart" or something along those lines) :d oh:

i'm gonna dump some more pictures of him ahahaha, oh dear. if it seems like it's just the same scene yet there's 5000 screencaps of it, it is. i just took it because i love the details in his hair movements oh dear. :wub:

click for spoilerImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

again, there is tons more. i had actually had to narrow down what i uploaded to photobucket since there's so much in my rock folder... :blush:

Return to “General Discussion”