Referendum about smileys

Off topic discussion.
fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 19 years ago

Smileys are used to express emotions that can not be expressed normally through written speach. However, some basic emotions are missing in this forum, as it was already noticed by some members (including myself). The 2 top ones are the "evil" smiley, and the "fear" smiley. Some others that don't come right now in my mind may be missing too... If you have others idea, don't hesitate to post them ;)
Therefore I think it could be useful to make some kind of referendum on whether more smileys should be added, at least if it is technically possible ;) Let's have the administrators hear our voice B)
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 19 years ago

Yes, I agree that this forum definately should provide a view other 'advanced' emoticons,
these being:

• an 'embarrassed-look-smiley'
  • a 'suspicious-looking-smiley'
  • a 'yelling-the-hell-out-of-my-lungs-smiley' (a one with just the mouth open wide)
  • a 'running-away-smiley'
  • a 'drowsy-looking-smiley' (perfectly fitting for late night forum shifts)
  • an 'I'm-going-stock-raving-mad-smiley' (a one with deep red eyes and a foaming mouth)
  • a 'suicide-smiley' (for series cancellations and such...)
  • a 'snorting-smiley' (in case anyone surrenders to the late-night-forum-shift-tiredness)
  • and last but definately not least: An 'Astroboy-smiley', dammit! :D

I guess this list will never be complete anyway, but those suggestions were the first ones which came to my mind.
:lol:
「頼むから、仕事をさせてくれ」
- 手塚治虫先生の最後の言葉

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

I think that if an administrator gives a principle aggreement, we could propose GIFs for them to choose, as well as codes to use. Codes such as :evil: , :fear: (or maybe :afraid :) , :d rowsy: and :astro: are easy to find. Some others might be more difficult.
The images should not be taken from existing softwares tough, so to avoid copyright issues.
Originally posted by Strange Wings@ Mar 6 2005, 12:52 PM
perfectly fitting for late night forum shifts

You also have "(very) early morning shifts" :P
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles

Star Wars - Exile

tic_tac_astro
Robot President

Postby tic_tac_astro » 19 years ago

You know, more smilies could be added if people go look at smilie pages.

Thank you, you're too kind.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 19 years ago

What about Atom smilies? It seems to me, that nothing could be more appropriate for this forum. :lol:

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Originally posted by tic_tac_astro@Mar 7 2005, 01:12 AM
You know, more smilies could be added if people go look at smilie pages.

The issue can't be solved by using external images, at least not in my opinion.
Smileys will change the meaning of the sentences. If the external image disappear, many sentences might have a dramatically different meaning. Personally I will never use images external to a website as smileys because of this.
As an example, just think of a sentence such as:
Get lost! :P

...and imagine possible meanings with, and without the smiley ;)

Wedge Antilles

Star Wars - Exile

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 19 years ago

You might end up with this:

Get lost! :wub:

:D

I had a go at making an Astroboy smiley but it came out really bad. Does anyone here have some artistic skills?

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Originally posted by DrFrag+Mar 8 2005, 02:26 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DrFrag @ Mar 8 2005, 02:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>You might end up with this:

Get lost! :wub:
[/b]

I thought about disappearing smileys, not even changing smileys :wacko: possibilities are limitless :D
<!--QuoteBegin--DrFrag
@Mar 8 2005, 02:26 AM
I had a go at making an Astroboy smiley but it came out really bad. Does anyone here have some artistic skills?[/quote]
Certainly not me, my drawing skills are hopelessly beneath 0 :o However if it can be mathematically modelized... :huh:

Wedge Antilles

Star Wars - Exile

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Originally posted by fafner@Mar 8 2005, 06:37 PM
Certainly not me, my drawing skills are hopelessly beneath 0 :o However if it can be mathematically modelized... :huh:

Or maybe yes... At least it must be worth having a look:

Wedge Antilles

Star Wars - Exile

Anapan
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Anapan » 19 years ago

Hey, here's some I found and some I made. They can be resized or whatnot to fit the max line height if needed:

Also because I'm too lazy to make another topic. Fanart here I haven't seen before.
Type this line into google:

site:http://www.deviantart.com astroboy

Return to “General Discussion”