Your favorite of the three anime series?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Shiyonasan
Administrator

Your favorite of the three anime series?

Postby Shiyonasan » 13 years ago

As the topic title says, which of the three anime series is your favorite to watch?

From what I've seen of the three anime, I would have to say that the 80s anime is my favorite. I really like the art style, the music, and the overall atmosphere of this anime. Plus, I love watching stuff from the 80s and early 90s, especially the anime and the cartoons from this time period. :D

What about you guys?

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 13 years ago

You know, I'm a lot less committed to one version over another than I used to be. I still feel a certain sense of "connection" to the 1960's because that's what I grew up with, and was the closest to Dr. Tezuka's original manga. I would dearly love to see the rest of the episodes that have never been translated into English (I'm grateful to Jeffbert, Astrobuddy and Strangewings for sharing synopsis of these with us).

Each version has something special to offer. If only he were still alive, I would love to see how he would present Astro's story today! I'm guessing it would actually be more like the movie (not "atomic" - and integrating a direction connection to Tobio via DNA). I do love the art of the 80's version, but prefer Astro looking a little older (as he did in the 60's) -

I know!!! Somebody should COLORIZE the 60's version!! XD
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

MightyAstro
Robot President

Postby MightyAstro » 13 years ago

I grew up with 1980's so that's my favourite. I love all three versions though.

1960's is cute when you get used to all the naive sight gags built into the animation. It's cheesy by today's standards. But great fun when you adapt to it. 1980's is much more serious by comparison, though it does still have a small amount of those naive moments in it.

The third one, I call it 2000's version, is very unique. Some of the stories are adapted from the other versions, but for the most part it seems to have been built on new original material.

As for colouring 1960's series Nancy, I'd find that interesting. However I'd still want to also keep my original black and white DVD collection. It would be fun to compare them in colour but I don't think they'd keep quite the same charm from the way they first were done.

Novacain
Beyond the Stars

Postby Novacain » 13 years ago

I also grew up with the 1980's version, so I'm very accustomed to that series. After watching the 1960'a version though, I have to admit that I find that one a bit more appealing. The 2000's version was very well modernized, however it took me awhile to get used to Astro saying things like "awesome" and "wassup". To be honest, it depends on what mood I'm in that depicts which version I feel like watching. But if I have to chose one, it is the 60's version.

Gotta Love ASTRO BOY
Cosmic Ranger

Postby Gotta Love ASTRO BOY » 13 years ago

I would have to say the 2003 series because it seems to express more emotion and feeling (at least to me it does) but i still love all three series

the 鉄腕アトム fan
Beyond the Stars

Postby the 鉄腕アトム fan » 13 years ago

i like the the 1960 astro boy better even though i watched that series last there are still episodes i have't see.

i like the 2003 series it was the first one i watched,
i don't really like the 1980 series that much but it's good enough for me :astro: :astro: :astro:
Go Go Go Assstttttttttrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooo Boooooooooooooooooy :astro:

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 13 years ago

Tough one, I guess like the 03 series (Japanese only! JAPANESE ONLY!) The 80's one isn't too bad either (I like the dark theme of it) the really old 60's one however...hmmm, i've watched a dozen or so of the episodes but I've not had that rush to watch them all like I did for the 80's and 03 series.

I guess it's cause I'm just type that likes news things, then again I do keep playing old ps1 games instead of next gen ^____^;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 13 years ago

1980's is one of Tezuka's best anime series in my opinion, but my respect for the 1960's keeps growing as I watch episodes.

The 2003 series tries too hard to pander to Americans in its preachiness. Even without having watched the English dub, I still thought it had too many weak episodes. As a 26 episode series with lots more focus it could have been amazing.
I'm on Twitter.

Ghost
Banned

Postby Ghost » 13 years ago

This is a tough one. I like them all equally to be honest, but if I had to chose it would be the 2003 series in Japanese.

The way I see it is each series has it's flaws, (Unless you're Japanese.) The 80's US English dub with not a lot of edits, good art, but poor voice acting. (No offense to any of the voice actors here.)

The 03 series with it's heavy edits that practically made Atom and Astro two completely different characters. I did enjoy the animation and the constant struggle in that series. I especially liked Dr. Tenma as the main villain. However I could have done without some of the meaningless episodes, and I didn't really like the Japanese episode "Eternal Boy."

Now the 60's series I only had one problem. (Only speaking of the English version.)I did enjoy the animation, regardless of it's time and the voice acting for back then was good. However, all the episodes seemed very repetitive and had no impact on the story or characters. Not to mention it seemed as if the plot of these episodes didn't have much to them. I'm not a big fan of simple plots, there has to be something in a plot for me that can really make me think about it for a long time. I also didn't care for the constant "cartooney" humor. The way it was constant made it hard for me to take the plot seriously.

This is one of the reasons why I wish I could see all the Japanese episodes in this series. I do thank Strange Wings, Jeffbert, and astrobuddy for posting images from these episodes.

I can't say anything bad about the original manga. These are just masterpieces and I wish I could buy all the books. But we're talking about the anime here, so I'll just leave it at that.

InsaneAstroBoyLover
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby InsaneAstroBoyLover » 13 years ago

I grew up with the 2003 series. Allthough I like the 03 series, 1960s will always be my favorite. Why? I dunno. I think I have this strange passion for classic things.(old derp)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”