Ochanimizu and Tenma's Relationship

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Ochanimizu and Tenma's Relationship

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 12 years ago

This is something I've been debatign in my head for awhile, but I'm curious; Just what was teh relationship between these two before Astro/Atom's creation?

Personally, I kind of look at it from two different angles based on their characters.

In Ochanimizu/O'Shay's case, I think he did in fact like Tenma, and thought of him as maybe a close work colleage or even work friend. However, he slowly grows to despise him the more he comes after Astro/Atom, and the more Ochanimizu/O'Shay grows fond of the little robot.

In Tenma's case, well, I honestly don't know how he would feel exactly. I get the feeling that he would appreciate Ochanimizu/O'Shay's help, but wouldn't know how to feel about the guy himself. He's too shy to really approach him on a personal level, and he sort of can't determine whether he thinks the old docotr is eitherout for himself, or is just an idealistic old fool. The latter belief however, gradually takes over once he begins in beliving complete robot superiority.

Those are my thoughts and observations, what are yours?

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 12 years ago

great question and one I often think about.

I don't picture Ochanimizu as a megalomanic - he's almost as saintly as Astro.

Tenma is totally human and full of fear, hurt and insecurity. Don't know if you've read the Pluto manga by Urasawa - it's GREAT and displays their differences - and similarities (both extremely dedicated men of science; both cherish Atom as a son and miracle)

I think Tenma would admire Ochanomizu's work, but would be hesitate to admit it publicly. I also think he'd find it hard to trust Ochanimizu - or pretty much anyone. He's a "lone wolf" sort of guy.

I also find it interesting to consider who Atom would really consider as his father - or if he'd regard them both as parents.
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

(chuckles) You know, that actually does sound like Tenma to me; can't seem to trust him, can't seem to make up his mind. To him, Ochanimizu/O'Shay is like an enigma he can't figure out how to feel about.

As for who Astro would deem his Father, well, I kind of figure that perhaps he would consider them fathers to him on different planes; by defenition, he accepts Tenma as his creator/Father. And given how the 03 series ends, he'd probably would likely want to work towards mending that relationship in teh near future. On the other hand, he probably views Ochanimizu as his father as well; he gets to live in his house, he teaches him about life, and acts like a parental guardian figure.

So yeah, I kind of consider that he feels them both to be his father in certain respects.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

I'd love to be Tenma's therapist. XD

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

(laughs) Yeah, I know what you mean.

Actually, wouldn't it be funny if Ochanimizu/O'Shay was his therapist?

AprilSeven
Silent Song

He'd be PERFECT!! Heck, I want him for MY therapist!

I think Dr. O is the most patient man in the world.

And yet, look . . . he created Uran - the mischief-maker for Astro ! I guess to keep him humble!! XD

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Oh god, no kidding. I could see it now;

(Ochanimizu is sitting in a comfy chair, smiling while he holds a pad and pencil in hsi hands)

(Tenma meanwhile, is sitting opposite of him in a couchy psychatirsts patient's chair, looking indifferent to this entire operation)

O'Shay; What's wrong? I gave you a comfy chair like to asked.

Tenma; Is this really necessary?

O'Shay; Well that depends; do you want to maintain a good relationship with Astro?

(Tenma thinks this over for a minute before sighin in defeat)

Tenma; Yes.

O'Shay; Alright then, let's get started.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

I smell a ROLE PLAY!!!

T: And what's THAT supposed to mean?

O: .....

T: *sighes, looking away* I suppose that means I have to begin with Hoshie.

O: *looks directly into his eyes* Sounds logical

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

(sighs in deep regret before talking again)

Tenma; I first met Hoshie in college, she was my seatmate in my neurology class.

O'Shay; Oh, I see; so you'd known each other from way back when.

Tenma; Yes. I admit, I thought she was pretty. But I really didn't talk to her much...that is until she began talking to me.

O'Shay; (chuckles) Well that makes sense, you've never exactly been much of a talker.

(Tenma gives O'Shay the death glare, causing shivers to tingle up his spine)

O'Shay; Uh...right...So, let's move on then...So, you mentioned that Hoshie started talking to you at that time.

Tenma; Yes. I don't really know why she took an interest in me though, maybe I was just her seat partner in teh beginning.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 12 years ago

(Oh, cool topic!)

O'Shay: Why wouldn't she have been interested in you?

Tenma: Oh well, I liked to work on my little things, my machines... I didn't have much time left for girls.

O'Shay: Yet she remained around you...

Tenma: Yes. I think I impressed her with my creativity. She said I seemed to go beyond what she thought possible. It felt good to be finally able to share my discoveries with someone.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”