21, Iron Arm Robot Joe (JETTER MARS)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

21, Iron Arm Robot Joe (JETTER MARS)

Postby jeffbert » 10 years ago

This episode's guest star appears to be Toge Sohei, the protagonist of THE THREE ADOLFS.

:cry: OUCH!

"Albatross! Albatross! Al-ba-tross!" :lol:

Later, Mars goes to visit Joe:

He begins to tell Mars his history:

I am just guessing that he might be a cyborg, otherwise why the protection suit?

At center, Dr. Yamanoue, to his right, Tick & Tock.

The Yakuza boss is modeled on Edward G. Robinson, I presume.

Facing the boss are the three locks hair guy from The Chronicles part 1 (there named Joe), Norse Necktall, & I cannot identify the guy at far right. :cry:

[Plink]

"Throw the fight!? Joe would never--"

The bird is one Joe kept as a pet; it was frightened by Mars' outburst.

Mars & Joe happen to meet on a field, then, I assume because Joe realizes that Mars' holds him in high esteem, & Joe wants to save him from the same fate:

As the serpent robot bops Joe, he apparently remembers being knocked out in a fight.

Finally, Joe finds an honest way to make a living.

Off to school!

Crazy_Red
Metro City Citizen

Postby Crazy_Red » 10 years ago

This episode is one of my favourites. I really like the idea of Mars having an older brother figure that has a connection with Mars through Yamanoue’s past (before he made Mars). I’ll try to explain the best I can about the context of the episode.

Joe is a robot, not a cyborg. Joe was one of the first test robots that Dr. Yamanoue created. Over time, Yamanoue made stronger and stronger robots. Therefore, Joe became dated and was basically tossed out of the ministry. He got converted to a boxing robot and he became a heavy weight champion (one of the reason why he wasn’t in armor anymore).

This is why Mars and Joe had a special connection in the bringing of the episode. It would explain why Joe was avoidant towards Mars as well, since he was replaced because Yamanoue kept building more advanced robots. Despite this, Mars and Joe became friends and even had a brotherly bond. Joe even taught Mars how to box.

The villains of this arc are the ones that run the boxing ring. They noticed Joe arm was damaged and they agree to fix it but only if he takes Mars’s AI (so they could use it for the robot they made). Joe stopped attacking when Mars blocked his attack and Mars recognized that his arm was badly damaged from the fight and he agreed to help him out. But then Kawashimo intervened and told Mars to never throw away his AI because was it similar to throwing his life away. They agree to work something out.

Since Joe did obtain Mars’s AI, Joe’s boss killed Chiro (Joe’s pet). Joe agreed to challenge Wolfman but lost his arm during the fight. Therefore, Mars finished the fight for him. After the end of the match, Kawashimo repaired Joe’s arm. Mars told Joe that he could stay at their house for awhile but Joe told him that although he’s grateful for what he and Kawashimo did for him, it’s best for them to go their separate ways. Joe and Mars said their farewells.
A couple days later, Mars found Joe working at his new Job. Mars goes up the hill to watch Joe, saying to himself “Joe’s the champion after all” and runs back to school.

Edit: I meant Joe did not obtain Mars’s AI.
Last edited by Crazy_Red on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 10 years ago

Bah cute episode. :3 That just sounds so cute... and the big guy likes little birdies... :D Just cute. Not all of it is cute and fluffy, evidently, but still...
lolwut

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 10 years ago

:lol: Thank you, Crazy_Red! I assume that in the 2nd to last paragraph, "Since Joe did obtain Mars’s AI" was a typo, & should have been "Since Joe did not obtain Mars’s AI" :hyo:

BTW, there are more than a few other Jetter Mars episode threads:

http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/showpost.php?p=225401&postcount=91

I would appreciate any comments you might have for those, also!

Crazy_Red
Metro City Citizen

Postby Crazy_Red » 10 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote: :lol: Thank you, Crazy_Red! I assume that in the 2nd to last paragraph, "Since Joe did obtain Mars’s AI" was a typo, & should have been "Since Joe did not obtain Mars’s AI" :hyo:

BTW, there are more than a few other Jetter Mars episode threads:

http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/showpost.php?p=225401&postcount=91

I would appreciate any comments you might have for those, also!

Oh yeah, sorry about that. I’ll fix that typo. I’m kind of busy but I’ll try to write some commentary when I get around to it.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”