A Cruel Irony (A Tenma One-shot)

Show off all your awesome art, writings and other creations here.
Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 12 years ago

I might have to split Scene 15 into two parts, but I'm willing to try one for now. Here we go.

Today was a clear, warm spring day, and probably the warmest one Umatarou had felt since he had moved into the city almost six years ago. In all that time, he had changed a fair bit in appearance. He still dressed very formally for his age, though he had grown out his hair and beard quite a bit in all that time, he even had started wearing ascots. He knew had not changed internally, but he could feel that something was different. He actually felt like smiling more often, he actually enjoyed taking in a whiff of fresh air, or just feeling the warmth of the sun on his face as he was doing so now.

Suddenly, he heard a relieved sigh from beside him. He turned to face his new wife of only one year; Hoshie. Nowadays, she wore her hair a bit shorter. She even really liked wearing yellow dresses with pink scarfs, like the kind she was wearing now. Though one thing had not really changed about her appearance, that warm smile she had on her face, the same smile that Umatarou could not help but smile warmly at.

As he stared at her, he noticed her observing him from the corner of her eyes.

“You look happy”, Hoshie said as she turned to face him.

“Of course; it's been so long since we've been out for a stroll like this”, he explained as he felt the warmth of the sun on his face.

“I know, with you being busy and all”, she replied as he gave her a suspicious look.

“You're busy too, as I recall”, he remarked.

“Yes, but being a Nurse Practitioner can be SO confining”, she explained. “At least you get to go the Ministry.”

“Being in an office is just as confining”, he explained.

“Well at least ou have more legroom...too much legroom if you ask me”, she replied as he stared at her, completely baffled.

“What”, he asked.

“You know what I mean”, she said as she gave him a very stone faced look. By now, he had been so baffled by
this, he actually let out a sigh of disbelief.

“Hoshie, I'm Head of Robotics Development; late work days are inevitable”, he explained.

“Oh sure, that's what you said when you cam home at nine o'clock”, she replied.

“That was one time!”, he replied.

“Yes, but it felt like an eternity”, she replied as she swooped her hand to her forehead dramatically. He just let out an aggravated sigh.

“You simply have no patience”, he remarked as he turned to face her again.

“Neither do you”, she replied as she stopped to face him sheepishly.

He tried to search for an answer, but after a moment or so of silence, he just merely gave up as he let out a defeated sigh. He knew there was no way to argue such a thought. She merely giggled at his defeat.

“Still”, she began as he felt her grabbed onto his arm. “A Robotics engineer...it's what you've always wanted”, she replied, he could not help but smile again.

“I know...”, he remarked as she gave him a smile.

Suddenly, Umatarou heard a high pitched laughter. Both he, and Hoshie turned around to see a small little playground close to where they were. From where he was standing, he could see a group of little girls joining hands. They began to sing as they ran around in one, big circle. All it took though, was one little girl tripping over her shoelace to disrupt the circle, before the whole group went down with the girl. No one was seriously hurt; there were a few fingers from some girls in the group, looking for someone to blame. Though that was the nice part of being a kid; they forget who did what a few minutes later. And e enough, the girls did. Immediately, they returned to running around in a circle. Seeing all of this, he could not help but let out a chuckle.

“Oh, they're so cute”, he heard Hoshie say as he turned to see her smiling face.

“Do you think our baby boy will be like that”, she asked as she turned to face him.

“I'm sure it will be”, he proclaimed, hearing his wife's disappointed moan as they continued their stroll.

“I wish you wouldn't call him or her that”, he heard her say as he turned to see the pouty look on her face.

“Well we don't know the sex of the baby”, he explained.

“You're the one who doesn't want to know”, she replied. Hearing her annoyed tone though, just made a smirk graze his face.

“Now, where's the fun in knowing”, he proclaimed with a sense of pride in his voice.

“For you maybe”, he heard her reply as he turned to face her still pouty face again.

“You are free to know, if that's what you want', he explained as she let out a sigh.

“No, that wouldn't be fair”, she explained. “Besides, I'm still stumped for boys names”.

“And yet, you already have Tabitha picked out if it's a girl”, he reminded her.

“Hey, YOU try coming up with boy names; it's not easy”, he heard her say as he turned to chuckle at her annoyed expression; he just loved how frustrated she seemed over such a small matter.

“Your offer is attempting. But how about you tell me your picks before we even consuder mine”, he told her.

“Oh, uh...okay”, she said before regaining her composure. “Well, I was thinking about Herman.”

“Absolutely not”, he immediately replied.

“Okay then, Herman's out....How about...Haruka”, she asked.

“Too common”, he replied.

“Yuki”, she asked.

“FAR too common”, he replied.

“Okay then...I know! What if we name the baby after you”, she asked. Immediately, he turned to her with an overpowering look of anger in his eyes. The type that left her befuddled, and speechless.

“Okay then...”, she slowly replied as he saw her pondering again. She looked stumped for another name for awhile. Until...

“Oh, I know”, she delightfully declared after a long silence. “What about Tobio?”

“Tobio”, he asked as they came to a stop.

“Yes. Do you like it”, he heard her ask him as he though about it. Tobio; that name just rolled right off the tongue. For him, just hearing that name ws enough to put a smile on his face; it was perfect.

“Yes, I like that very much”, he told his excited looking wife.

“Then it's settled; Tobio, it is”,, she excitedly proclaimed.

Suddenly, Hoshie yelped as she tripped on an uneven stone block, and began to fall. Quickly, Umatarou bent down to grab her by the torso, using both of his arms to catch her in time. Once he felt the moment, pass, the young man turned to face his somewhat surprised spouse.

“Are you alright”, he asked. At first, she gave him the “deer in the headlights” look before shaking it off.

“Oh, I'm fine”, she replied as he let out a sigh.

“This is precisely why I told you not to wear sandles today”, the young man explained in a frustrated manner as he helped her up.

“Who knows what could have happened”, he continued before stopping to notice her smiling at him. “Why are you smiling?”

“You were concerned about the baby, weren't you”, she asked him as his cheeks flushed a very light shade of pink.

“Well, I...It's just that...You were-”

“You know what”, he heard her say. “You'll make a wonderful father someday.”

Umatarou was shocked to hear that; he had never really considered if he was ready for parenthood. In fact, when Hoshie had announced her pregnancy, he nearly collapsed from the shock. It was something he had never really considered until now. Hearing that though, was enough to put a reassuring smile on his face.

To be continued...

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Well, here comes Scene Sixteen, the point at which everything goes to heck...again...
“You're working late again”, Hoshie asked.

“I know it's short notice Hoshie, but we're close to a new breakthrough, and I need to oversee its development”, Umatarou tried to explain as he packed his work suitcase on the kitchen table.

His wardrobe was about the same; long pants, a white dress shirt covered by a fancier vest, with a long ascot around his neck to complete the look. But now, he was beginning to wear long coats as well. This time, he was wearing a long, purple coat with gold trimming.

“But you promised Tobio you'd come home early to play with him”, she reminded him.

“I'm sure he will understand”, he replied as he closed his suitcase shut.

“That's your excuse for everything, isn't it”, he heard her ask him. Surprised by that question, he turned to face her.

She looked about the same herself. Yet even though her bangs now framed her youthful face, and she tended to wear blue more these days, he knew what had not changed; that expressive face of hers. And right now, she looked awfully disappointed with him.

“What”, he asked her.

“Think about it Tarou-chan; when was the last time you came home dinner? When was the last time you even saw your son for more than a few seconds”, she asked him.

Even though he was listening to her, he could not help but raise his eyebrow in confusion.

“I see you and Tobio”, he said.

“Oh sure; I guess five minutes everyday is a lifetime for you”, she replied.

Hearing this just made him angry. Thankfully, he managed to just take a deep sigh and speak again.

“I'm head of the Ministry of Science Hoshie; you knew from the start that late hours were inevitable”, he explained, even as he saw his wifes expression remained about the same.

“So you can't learn to simply compromise? Oh, but would you? You seem so happy there, you might as well make the Ministry your home”, she replied, hearing that just made him feel even more confused.

“Don't be ridiculous!”, he replied. “This is more than just a job for me, Hoshie. I work hard to provide for both of you-”

“No, you don't! If you did, you'd spend more time with us! You'd actually find ways to work around your busy schedule, instead of making time for yourself”, she said.

Hearing that though, just made him even angrier.

“So then what exactly should I do?...Should I just quit, just so I can feel unsatisfied?...Is that what you want”, he asked as his voice became louder.

She said nothing. Instead, she just stared at him with that unwavering expression even as he felt his anger grow the more he looked at that expression.

“Is that what you want!?”

Suddenly, he heard a whimper. Immediately, he turned around to see who it was. He felt his anger melt away once he saw who it was; it was his son, Tobio. He was only around four year old, but from where Umatarou stood, the little boy looked more surprised than frightened. Before he could say anything to him, the little boy left without saying anything, leaving him a bit dazed.

“Umatarou...”, he heard his wife call his name, his full name. She almost never called him that. Suspicious, he turned around to find something shocking; she was crying. “Do you even love me anymore?...”

“Wh...What are you talking about”, he asked as he rested his hands on her shoulders. “I love you, and Tobio very much-”

“Then maybe you should learn to include us more in your life!”, she shouted as her words surprised him.

She looked as if she had more to say, but eventually, she began to leave. He did not say anything as she left the room, he did not even attempt to stop her. He just stood there, with complete disbelief on his face as her words kept repeating themselves in his head.

“Hoshie...”, he finally muttered as his head turned to face the kitchen door. She was already gone.

To be continued...

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Well, here comes Scenes 17 and 18. Enjoy!

.....................................................................................
There was nothing he could say as he sat at the bedside. Instead, he just sat in his chair quietly, looking contemplative as he watched over his wife's current condition. A few days ago, she had been bright and cheery as always, with that big smile he had come to love plastered on her face. Now she looked pale, almost lifeless to him as she took in one laboured breath after another.

According to her doctor, she was slowly loosing her battle with cancer. Cancer she had, apparently, been diagnosed with months ago. It was all Umatarou could focus on right now; it was the first he had ever heard of it. And now, it bothered him more than anything.

“You're going to be okay...right mom...”, he heard a little voice ask, it was Tobio.

“Oh, of course sweetie”, she told him. Hearing her even say that, it just made Umatarou cringe with disgust.

“Are you sure?...Because, Mimi's mom...she collapsed too...and...Mimi said she never woke up again...”, he heard his son say.

Yet the next thing he heard were not words, but whimpers. As he looked up, hew saw Tobio, buried in his mother's chest. His mother was gently stroking his back in an attempt to calm him down, though it did seem to make a difference what she did, he was still shaking rather violently. Seeing this, he felt his heart break.

“Come here Tobio...”, he calmly said as he scooped up the little boy into his arm.

Now, he could feel the boys hot tears dripping onto his coat. He did not care though, he just continued to gently rub his back until he stopped wailing and began to calm down. Umatarou felt calm as he continued to stroke his child's back. In fact, he became so occupied by this,he had not even noticed that his son was breathing heavily, having drifted off into dreamland. Once he did notice this, he placed the little boy on a seat near the door, and draped his heavy long coat over him. Seeing his little sleeping face, he could not help but smile for a bit.

“Is he alright”, he heard Hoshie ask him. As he turned to face her, he found something surprising; she was smiling. He just looked at her with animosity.

“What”, she asked. He said nothing, he just walked back to his chair and took a seat. He sat there silently, watching the confused look on her face before she spoke up again. “If it's something I-”

“Hoshie”, he began. “Why did you never tell me?”

She looked genuinely surprised to him as he made that comment. He watched as she thought about it for a moment, and then gave him a smile.

“Well, to be honest...I was planning on telling you...But you just looked so happy, I just didn't want to worry you”, she told him.

Upon hearing this, he went into complete shock. For awhile, he just sat there, staring at his concerned looking wife. “It's not possible...is it”,was the first thought to enter his head. Though the more he looked at her pale body, he could not help but whimper. Eventually, he allowed his head to collapse on the bed. He began to shake violently as he allowed fresh, hot tears to escape his brown eyes.

“Hoshie...Hoshie, I'm so sorry...”, he said, managing to make it sound intelligible.

He could feel her weak hand on the back of his head,stroking it gently. Though it did not matter what she for him at this point, he knew there was nothing eh could possibly do for her now.
As he entered is office, Umatarou allowed a small yawn to escape his mouth. It had been a hard, long day of work for him, and he could begin to feel it take its toll on him. As he sat down, he could feel his head beginning to tense up. He groaned for a bit, before resting his face in his hand.

“Well,you certainly look tired, Tenma”,he heard a familiar,chipper voice say. He then seated himself straight and upright, as he bluntly stared at his visitor; it was his older colleague, Doctor O'Shay.

“Oh, Hello O'Shay”,Umatarou bluntly remarked towards his cheerful looking colleague.”What brings you here?”

“I just wanted to check up on you”, the elderly Professor replied.

“You ask me that everyday”, he bluntly reminded.

“Uh...We...Well,I know that”, he began. “I'm just curious, that's all”, he said with a smile. Umatarou however, just stared at him bluntly.

“Oh, that reminds me; how has Tobio been”, he asked.

“It's only been a month O'Shay”, he bluntly replied as he unscrewed the lid off of an Advil bottle.

“I know...But, people do grieve in different ways”, he heard his colleague say as he took both capsules at once.

“Yes...I suppose they do...”, he bluntly remarked as he took a sip of water. Shortly after, he got up from his chair and began to make his way towards his coat hanger.

“Are you heading home early again”,O'Shay asked with a hint of concern in his voice.

“I may as well; we've finished early for the day, and there's not much else I can think to improve on”, he explained as he adjusted his white lab coat.

“Besides, I think I'd like to have a night to myself for once”, he further explained as he slipped into his brown trench coat. After adjusting it onto his lanky body, he began to head back towards his desk for his suitcase.

“Wait, Tenma. I'd like to ask you something”, he replied. Though Umatarou let out a small sigh as he turned to face his colleague.

“What is it O'Shay”, he asked.

“Well, I was wondering...Would you like to come over to my place for dinner sometime? You can bring Tobio with you, if you'd like”, he asked. Umatarou raised an eyebrow to this.

“What for”, he asked.

“I just think it would be nice for you to have some company. What do you say”, he asked as he held out a hand to his colleague.

He saw the hand reaching out for his, he saw the big smile his colleague had on his face. Yet all Umatarou could do was stare at him bluntly. He could not tell what the old man was thinking, he could not even tell what his motives were, all he knew was the answer he would give him.

“I'll have to think about it”,he finally replied.

“Oh...uh...okay,then”, the elderly man replied.

“Doctor”, said a stern feminine voice that was right behind them. As they turned around, they came face to face with O'Shay's young secretary; Yuko Kisagari.

“Oh, hello Yuko”, O'Shay said.

“Hello Doctor; you have an important caller waiting for you on line two”, she sternly reminded him, even as he moaned with grievance at this announcement.

“Alright,I'm coming Yuko”,he promised. Though not before turning around to face his colleague once more.

“Think about my offer Tenma, I'll get back to you soon”, O'Shay kindly remarked.

“Let's get going”, the young woman said as she took him by the arm,and proceed to drag him out of the room.

Umatarou did nothing, he just watched his colleague being dragged out of his office. Once he was gone, he took in a deep breath as he turned around to get his breifcase.
To be continued...

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 11 years ago

Well, it took awhile, but here are the final four scenes for A Cruel Irony. Thank you for reading, and enjoy.
Umatarou seemed to get his wish that night; he was sitting in his comfy, family room armchair, adjusting a tiny hinge on a small robot with a screw driver. The hour was ten o'clock, the room was bathed in a dimly lit lamp, and the house had been almost silent since Tobio had gone to bed over an hour ago. Surely, it should have been the quiet evening he had been expecting.

Instead, he let out a sigh as he stared blankly at the robot. He could feel his interest in it decreasing as he put it down, before setting it aside on the table beside his chair. He rubbed his eyes for a bit, until they saw the chair beside him; her chair. He just stared at sombrely for awhile.

“Dad”, asked a small voice that caught his attention.

Turning his gaze back to the rooms entrance, he saw Tobio. He looked timid in his little sheep pyjamas as he cowered behind the room's entrance.

“Tobio...What are you doing up so late”, he asked as the little boy walked towards him.

“I couldn't sleep...And...well...I was wondering if I could stay with you for awhile...”, the little boy asked his astonished looking father.

Of course, he knew his answer was a firm no from the start. Yet seeing those big, sad looking eyes of his, it made him silent for a moment as they remained on him. Eventually, the young man let out a small, yet not so disappointed sounding sigh.

“Alright, but just for tonight”, he gently replied as he picked the child up and sat him in his lap.

“Was there any particular reason you couldn't sleep”, Umatarou asked as he began to gently stroke his son's back.

“Not really”, the little boy quietly told him. A smile even began to graze Umatarou's face as he continued to comfort his son.Tobio's face however, remained about the same for awhile.

That is, until he finally spoke up again.

“Dad...”, he began, getting his father's attention. “Do you think mom is up in heaven?”

Umatarou was silent after hearing that, if anything, he looked astonished. He felt uncertain if he could even answer that question. And yet, those big, brown eyes kept staring at him with such impatience. Eventually, he took in a deep breath before locking eyes with his son's.

“I don't know Tobio”, he calmly explained as he watched his sons's eyes grow with disappointment.

“What? But, I thought you knew everything”, the little boy disappointingly replied, he chuckled at this.

“I'm afraid you'll have to get used to that, my son”, the young man somewhat confidently replied as he turned his son around to face him.

And yet, he still looked unhappy. At first, Umatarou was surprised by this. Eventually though, he just gave his son a smile as he began to gently pat his head.

“Listen Tobio...No one really knows what happens to humans when they die...But I'm sure that wherever your mother is, she is happy”, he explained.

“Are you sure”, he was asked by the boy.

“Yes, I'm certain of that”, he replied in an assured manner.

“Because mom...Mom wasn't a bad person...”, was all the little boy could say before he buried his face into Umatarou's vest.

He began to shake violently, his wails were muffled, yet there was no question as to what they were. In fact, he began to wail so much,you would swear he was a child lost in a department store.

Umatarou could feel his heart break as he watched his son, his little sobs were enough to make him tense up. Eventually, he embraced the little boy into a tight hug. The tears however, did not cease, yet it did not matter to him. He just stroked the boy's back once again, knowing he would calm down eventually.

“You're truly all I have left, aren't you?...My little Tobio...”, he thought to himself as his sons wails continued to reach his ears.
Umatarou walked through the door of his household, allowing a sliver of sunlight to enter into the unusually confining house. A confident smile sat upon his long face, though for the life of him, he did not know why. Well, whatever the reason, he knew he felt good to be home so early.

Out of habit, he wiped his brown shoes on the welcome mat before slipping out them. He then took his coat off and hung it on the coat rack, before making his way into the family room.

Once he walked into the room, he saw Tobio. By now, the little nine-year-old boy had grown to be at least 2.5 inches tall. He wore his usual blue shirt with an orange stripe down the centre, and white trimming around the sleeves and collar. The orange shorts he wore actually went well with his shirt, and his little red booted feet swung back and forth in the air from where he sat on the floor.

His hair was about the same; short, light auburn, with two small spikes sticking out on either side of his head. But his eyes shawn with such life, and optimism as his attention remained focused on the air bike he was drawing. Seeing this, made Umatarou smile.

“Tobio”, he said, catching the little boy's attention.

“Come over here”, he said as he held out his arms to the boy, whose smile grew two sizes too big for his little face.

“Dad! You came home early today”, Tobio cheerfully remarked as he ran towards the tall, lanky man. There was even a little bit of excited laughter from the boy as Umatarou scooped him up into his arms.

“Oh Tobio”, he said as he smiled at the delighted looking boy. “Do you know that you're the only thing I care about in this world”, he asked as he placed the boy back on his feet.

“In this world”, the little boy asked him. Umatarou then got down on one knee, allowing him to look his son directly in the eye.

“Yes. The way my colleagues feel about robots compared to me, it just makes me sick to even be near them”, he explained with his gaze turned away from the boy.

“So, you like robots better than people”, he heard his son ask him.

“Yes”, he replied as he turned back to face him.

“Than between me and robots, which one do you like better”, Tobio asked.

Umatarou however, looked astonished as he asked that question.

“Well, that's...”, he began as those cheerful eyes remained on him.
................................................................................................
From where he sat, Shadow's yellow eyes flickered on and off in the tiny cockpit. His spaceship may have been massive in scale, but its cockpit left a lot to be desired,being so cramped. So cramped in fact, the only visible light source came from a small monitor in the centre of the control panel his attention was focused on.

“So, you like robots better than people?”

“Yes.”

“Than between me and robots, which one do you like better?”

“Well, that's...”

“Interesting...”, Shadow said rather coldly as his yellow eyes continued to flicker on and off.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Sorry about that, here's the last scene. Once again, thank you, and enjoy.
..................................................................................................
You're always like this father...Do you even really love me?

Father, I'm a robot too...

Do you even love me?

Nora is my friend!

You don't love me at all...

I hate you!

You don't love me...

You destroy other robots like they're nothing!

You don't love me!

You don't love me!

YOU DON'T LOVE ME!

With that last sentence, Tenma woke up in a panic. He could feel the beads of sweat rolling down his forehead as he panted heavily, attempting to catch his breath. Slowly, he began to check his surroundings. He found himself sitting in his lab chair, in front of his work desk. Seeing this though, he merely let out a sigh as he rested his forehead in his fingers. His hand felt cool against his forehead, but his expression was more one of regret.

“You look troubled”, replied a voice which startled Tenma. As he turned his head towards the entrance, he instantly recognized who his visitor was.

It was Shadow. For now, his black and white mask covered his robotic head. His robotic body was even covered by his red cape.

“Shadow...What are you doing here so late at night”,Tenma suspiciously asked his creation.

“I've come to ask you something”, the robot replied in his usual cold tone.

“Ask me something”, Tenma suspiciously asked as he eyed his creation, watching as he walked over towards him, before standing right beside him.

“Yes; Why must Astro be King of all Robots”, he asked. Tenma just raised an eyebrow to this.

“Shadow, why would you be so curious to know that”, he asked, swerving his chair to face the equal whose back was turned to him.

“You've never given a reason”, he replied as he turned his robotic head towards his creator.

Tenma just smirked at this comment. He then crossed his legs as he turned away from Shadow, lacing his hands together as they sat perfectly in his lap.

“Astro was the first thinking-feeling robot ever created,and therefore, has the potential to become a champion of his species. Even if another robot with Kokoro were to threaten his existence, his power to evolve, a power even I underestimated so long ago, is miraculous”, he explained.

“Besides, it only makes sense that something I created would be fit to become robot's secular messiah”, he finished with a touch of arrogance.

Shadow just stood there silently, taking all of this in.

“I see...”, Shadow began as he stared at his confident looking creator. “And when all is said and done, you will have finally found your place in this world.”

“What”, Tenma asked he swerved his chair around to face his creation once more.

“You have always been a lonely man Tenma, it only makes sense that you would seek companionship, unconsciously or otherwise”, his creation explained to him, hearing this just made him grit his teeth.

“Are you saying I'm only doing this to make myself feel better”, he asked as he raised his voice towards his equal.

“That is not a fact, it is merely an observation”, Shadow explained.

Tenma stared him rather intently for another moment, before shrugging it off.

“Oh well, it makes no difference”, he calmly replied as he turned to face his desk once again. “All that matters is that we guide Astro towards his future.”

“Can you be certain of that”, his creation asked him.

“Of course”, he confidently replied as a confident smirk formed on his face.

“Can you”, he heard Shadow ask him as he turned to face him once more. “That cheerful colleague of yours has had a much greater impact on him than I think even you want to admit.”

Tenma just stared at him in astonishment for awhile. Eventually though, he was able to shrug it off.

“I'm his father...Eventually, he will have no choice but to come back to me”, he stated rather confidently.

“Your hesitant look seems to indicate otherwise”, Shadow discreetly observed. Hearing this though, just made Tenma grit his own teeth once again.

“Do not doubt me Shadow! He will come back to me!” he angrily replied.

The room became silent after his outburst, though he just turned himself away to face his desk once more. Shadow did nothing, he just let out a small sigh.

“Perhaps it is better that Hoshie is gone...She would hate to see the man you've become...”, Shadow coldly remarked as he walked back towards the entrance.

Tenma's brown eyes widened upon hearing this.

“That's funny...”, he suspiciously remarked as he turned to face his creation. “I don't recall mentioning my wife's name to you.”

“Don't you mean your late wife? Or do just prefer to not think of her status”, he asked in an almost mocking tone, turning to see his creator's reaction as he did so.

This time, Tenma could actually feel himself crushing the soft arm insoles of his chair, before finally standing to face his creation.

“Shadow, I thought I made it clear to you after last time!”, he began. “You are not to go looking through my memories if you have nothing better to do! Is that clear!?”

“But you gave me these memories”, he reminded his creator. “ So aren't they technically mine as well? ”

Tenma just stood there for awhile, astonished until he found he could not give his creation a certifiable counterpoint on his behave.

“I'll take that as a yes”, Shadow coldly replied as he turned back towards the entrance.

“He will come back to me Shadow”, Tenma calmly stated as he watched his creation stop himself from walking.

“Can you really say that with confidence”, he asked his creator as he looked back to see his confident smirk.

“Of course”, he replied. “Once I show him the errors our foolish society has made, I have no doubt that he will join me in paradise.”

Shadow just stood there silently, taking all of this in.

“Very well then. If that is what you believe”, he said before leaving the room for good.

Tenma stood there in silence for awhile, an intent look settled on his face as he let Shadow's words sink in. Eventually, he shrugged it off as he walked towards his desk. His hand reached out for the upper rim of his chair,and pulled the chair out with a yawn. Yet as he went to sit down, something caught his eye. It was a lone picture frame in the corner of his desk. Its golden trim gave off a lovely reflection of the images it caught, though it was in desperate need of dusting.

He picked it up, and almost instantly,his eyes widened as he looked at what the frame contained. It was a picture of Tobio, playing piano with a big smile on his face. Seeing this, Tenma could not help but smile himself at the photo. The memory it held, it was just so clear in his mind.

A tiny gallon of sunlight bathed the Tenma family room in a smooth, gold light. All was peaceful, save for the sound of a piano. A piano which would start off beautifully, then stop ever so clumsily.

From where he sat on the wooden chair, Umatarou watched as his son sat across from him,trying desperately to play Chopin's Nocturne in C minor. With a nervous chuckle, Tobio went ahead and tried for a fourth time. Initially, his playing sounded flawless, as if either his father, or mother were playing the piece. Yet somewhere along the fourth or fifth bar, his hands no longer glided across the keyboard. Instead, they moved desperately, in an attempt torus to the finish line. Umatarou just sighed at this;immediately, he knew exactly what the problem was.

“You haven't been practising your scales, have you”, he asked the little boy.

“Well, uh...Not exactly”, Tobio replied, his eyes shifting away as he fiddled nervously with his hands. Tenma just let out another sigh towards this.

“I'm sorry dad...It's just that I haven't had any time to practice. And besides, you always say that studying comes first”, the little boy explained. Hearing that made Umatarou smile.

“Yes, that is true”, he remarked. “But you see Tobio, you also have to develop certain skill sets if you hope to ever accomplish anything in life.”

“Yeah, but I don't think I'll ever pursue being a piano player ...Maybe a race car driver, like Speed Racer”,he said as he began to hum buzzing sounds, pretending to drive a race car.

The lanky man could only chuckle at his son's enthusiasm.

“You're too young”, he reminded the little boy.

“Ah, but dad-”

“My decision is final Tobio”, he told his son in a stern manner.

Tobio pouted for a bit before turning away from his father. At first, Umatarou kept his gaze stern as he eyed his son. Eventually though, his gaze began to soften, he even placed his rough hand on his son's head as he began to gently pat his hair.

“Maybe someday, when you're older”, he said as he watched Tobio's eyes light up.

“Okay”, the little boy happily replied.

Now in his present day, Tenma could smile at that memory, he even chuckled a bit as he remembered his son's behaviour.

“Now I remember. I taught you to play the piano too, didn't I”, he asked himself.

The image was so clear in his head; Astro was dressed in Tobio's clothing. He was sitting at the piano, playing almost flawlessly as he let out a sweet little laugh.

“My little Tobio...”, he whispered quietly to himself, that loving smile of his grew even wider the deeper he sunk into that memory.

The End

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 11 years ago

Oh, I hadn't realized the ending was going to come so soon! :o hmy:

Nice conversation with Shadow, it reminds me a little bit of the Tenma/Ochanomizu RP we had not long ago! Tenma vs Tenma... :d evil: Even more interesting! :lol:

I believe you may have made a typo here: "By now, the little nine-year-old boy had grown to be at least 2.5 inches tall"..?

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Yeah, I might as well just go on a limb andjust say it now; I'm horrible at math. So going in, I sort of knew I was wrong about that inches description. If I may ask, what should it be?

Thanks though, I'm glad you enjoyed that last scene. Oddly enough, the entire last part really hadn't changed much from the initial version, which is a good thing for me. If Shadow questioning Tenma's methods didn't come across well, then the scene would fall flat. But thankfullythough, it came outgreat.

Besides, I think it only makes sense that Shadow be questioning Tenma the whole way.

Astro Forever
Administrator

"Prettywitchiusaka" wrote:Yeah, I might as well just go on a limb andjust say it now; I'm horrible at math. So going in, I sort of knew I was wrong about that inches description. If I may ask, what should it be?

I may be wrong, but I thought it should have been 2.5 inches taller...? Unless I misunderstood what you meant, or I happen to be confused.

"Prettywitchiusaka" wrote:Besides, I think it only makes sense that Shadow be questioning Tenma the whole way.

Yes... poor Tenma! :p

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Ah, I see what you mean.

Yes...Poor Tenma indeed. But then again, when you build a robot that's on your level intellectually, you're probably just begging for the robot to out shine you, aren't you?

Also, one last question. Hoshie; did she seem like a realperson, or did she come off being a bit...well...Mary-Suish?

Astro Forever
Administrator

"Prettywitchiusaka" wrote:Yes...Poor Tenma indeed. But then again, when you build a robot that's on your level intellectually, you're probably just begging for the robot to out shine you, aren't you?

Yes.

"Prettywitchiusaka" wrote:Also, one last question. Hoshie; did she seem like a realperson, or did she come off being a bit...well...Mary-Suish?

Hmmm.... she seemed very nice, perhaps too nice but I can see what you wanted to do with the character so it didn't bother me. I do have to say however that it's quite something that she wouldn't tell Tenma she was so sick just because he was too absorbed. Or at least, I can hardly imagine waiting so long!

Return to “Fan Creations”