The Lost Canadian Dub...

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Daichi
Robot President

Postby Daichi » 16 years ago

Meh, you poor girl. How long have you been obsessing over this, Fauna? You've mentioned it several times since my joining!

Chances are, they're not going to release it on DVD... They already released it in English and French, and besides, if they don't have the original reels then they couldn't anyway, right?
You're just going to have to let go and move on. Otherwise it'll eat your sanity.

Don't take it the wrong way, I'm not trying to be mean or anything. Sometimes you just have to let go.
"You will never understand how this feels. Look at me, I'm neither truly human nor truly robot. I'm a monster."
-Atlas

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 16 years ago

Now, that's all right, Daichi. The search started back in last summer, ended abruptly, then got rekindled about a week or so. I've kind of quieted down right now, and at the point that if I don't find the reels now, I'll just quit. Besides, someone may put a clip on Youtube in the future.

Hey, I haven't brought up trying to find it in quite a while! I've made casual references, yes, but I haven't done anything in a while.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 16 years ago

"Daichi" wrote:Meh, you poor girl. How long have you been obsessing over this, Fauna? You've mentioned it several times since my joining!

Chances are, they're not going to release it on DVD... They already released it in English and French, and besides, if they don't have the original reels then they couldn't anyway, right?
You're just going to have to let go and move on. Otherwise it'll eat your sanity.

Don't take it the wrong way, I'm not trying to be mean or anything. Sometimes you just have to let go.

Astroboy is a cartoon character that we discovered in our chilhood, and therefore the dub we grew up with is important to us because, despite their sometimes huge flaws, there's something special about it. Heck, even if the French dub that was released in Europe is the same as the Canadian one, just the fact that the song in the opening and closing credits are different, as well as the voices presenting the game make it feel a bit foreing to me. I wasn't happy when I bought the first boxset of the series here and found out it wasn't the version I grew up with despite what was said on the box. You may not understand that but I don't care. I had even started a thread a long time ago comparing the different dubs and many members seemed to enjoy it.

I'm sure you'll still see this topic being discussed again in the future. And I'm sure you'll also see other posts and topics that you will find unimportant, stupid, obsessive or whatever. I think it would be really nice if you could only learn to RESPECT what other people enjoy, no matter how stupid you think it is. This is a forum. There are many topics people want to discuss. Nobody will enjoy every single post/topic. But as long as our members aren't disturbing others, they have the right to post what they want. You don't care for something? Either don't read it or forget about it. We don't want to know.

Quite frankly, I'm fed up with posts such as this one. There is another instance where somebody else who, before I (or any mod) had the time to read the discussion, indicated - publicly - that he didn't feel welcome on this forum anymore and would leave us after you made a rude reply to him. As far as I know, he didn't come back, even if I told him that we had enjoyed his posts (and it's true, he hadn't been here in a while but we had enjoyed his posts while he was coming regularly, before you came here). If the first thing he reads when he comes back is such a post, then I don't blame him for feeling the way he did. I also remember not too long ago you made fun of somebody's joke in the General discussion (it was the Photoshop picture).

Also, remember that many of our regular members are teenagers (and this is a fact because they have said so through the years) and many teenagers are more vulnerable to such posts because they tend to be unsure of themselves (heck, many adults do as well). I personally don't care if you find one of my post stupid but I DO care A LOT about what people feel after you called them or their posts obsessed, stupid or whatever.

I'm sick of coming after you and feeling that I have to remind the poster you have just replied to that their post was okay and there was nothing wrong with it, and that not every member feel the way you do. Therefore next time you want to criticize a post or its author, either just don't do it, or contact the moderators if you feel it's a problem for the community. I do enjoy your contribution overall but we certainly do not need your condescending posts.

Thank you very much.

BTW Fauna, I still have a strong love-hate feeling for the Canadian dub, so keep talking about it as much as you want. :p
Last edited by Astro Forever on Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

tonigirl1000
Banned

Postby tonigirl1000 » 16 years ago

Thanks, everyone- lets please be friends here, i apologize if i have did anything wrong here, i just want to make friends here. I hope i have, thanks and hugs.

Daichi
Robot President

Whoa, I never realized... Um...

Geez, I'm sorry. No, honestly.

And I seriously just wanted to help Fauna... I didn't mean it in a bad way, I actually, seriously just felt bad for her 'coz I've made myself crazy searching for things and it's a crappy feeling.

But eh... I guess I'm such a jerk I still managed to come off as rude and condescending.

Damn, man. I had no clue.

Why didn't anybody come up and say something to me? Does everyone see me as Daichi the bully? Am I seriously such an A-double-S that somebody left on my account?

Do I have a complete inability to say what I mean without coming off wrong and hurting somebody?

And do you...want me to leave? Forever?
Last edited by Daichi on Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You will never understand how this feels. Look at me, I'm neither truly human nor truly robot. I'm a monster."

-Atlas

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

No, don't leave, Daichi!! I knew you weren't trying to be mean in the first place! But please, you're welcome here!

And yeah, being obsessed with finding something always leaves me with a sickly, sad feeling. I'm going to try and see if we ever casually taped one of the Canadian-dubbed episodes and still have the tape afoot. Dad says there's a big film reel archive at the main library in town, so I should run by there.
ImageImageImageImage

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 16 years ago

"Daichi" wrote:Whoa, I never realized... Um...

Geez, I'm sorry. No, honestly.

And I seriously just wanted to help Fauna... I didn't mean it in a bad way, I actually, seriously just felt bad for her 'coz I've made myself crazy searching for things and it's a crappy feeling.

But eh... I guess I'm such a jerk I still managed to come off as rude and condescending.

Damn, man. I had no clue.

Why didn't anybody come up and say something to me? Does everyone see me as Daichi the bully? Am I seriously such an A-double-S that somebody left on my account?

Do I have a complete inability to say what I mean without coming off wrong and hurting somebody?

And do you...want me to leave? Forever?

First, no, I do not want you to leave. As I said (and I do mean what I say), I do enjoy your contribution here. I just don't like it when I read posts that I know could potentially hurt some people. Now the vast majority of your posts are just fine. I do not hate you, I just don't want people to feel bad after posting here and not come back, or not come back as often, just because one member is, let's put it this way, a bit too straight and brutally honest, especially if the said member doesn't know you all that well and takes it personally. I'm all for free speech but even in the best couples, a little bit of self restriction, as opposed to speaking everything that's in one's mind, have proven to actually help keeping a good relationship.

I have said something in the past, such as not posting if you didn't have something nice to say, or try to not kill our members or something (I believe this thread has been deleted though). I tried to remain cool about it but after reading the above post I thought it was happening again. Now perhaps I overreacted myself, after all Fauna seems to have taken it well and you had asked her not to take it the wrong way, but it did seem offensive to me so I thought "not again"! So forgive me if I'm the one who understood your post in the wrong way, but I reacted in the light of a few of your posts of the past and that's what prompted me to reply. It's something about the "poor girl" and how this topic had been brought up several times (because I've been here for more than 3 years now and it's common to see similar topics being discussed from time to time, and it seemed to me that you meant there was something wrong with somebody if they dared post about the same thing twice). And after all, I'd say that many of us are obsessed in a way or another, because we do love our little robot. ;)

This reminds me of something else that is of interest to you, but I'll post that in the relevant thread.

Daichi
Robot President

Ah... I see...

Something about killing people? Oh right, that. That was just a silly joke I made when I was introducing myself to someone.
I am pretty, err, straightforward. I've never cared what people think of me because I have been scarred by past relationships and no longer desire to chase after them. However, this is not to say that I dislike the idea of friendship nor that I wish to go out hurting people or making enemies.
And if people are getting their trousers in a knot over me, I'll try to restrain myself a little... Even though I'm not entirely sure how.

It's not multiple topics that bothers me, man. It was just that since she's mentioned it several times, I knew it must be bothering her and I hate it when that happens to me so I wanted to help her out a bit. But I screwed up.

Say... If you want to help me out a bit, why don't you give me a bit of coaching, here and now?
Just tell me how I should say things without ticking people off. That'd be great. ^^

BTW, what does that remind you of? Now you've gotten me all curious. <_<
Last edited by Daichi on Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Atlas

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

"Daichi" wrote:It's not multiple topics that bothers me, man. It was just that since she's mentioned it several times, I knew it must be bothering her and I hate it when that happens to me so I wanted to help her out a bit.

I think it may be, sometimes...I know somebody in this country has to have a copy of an episode taped somewhere, maybe even a reel stashed away, but I just don't know where. And my parents, who worked at the TV studio, handled the Beta copies every day back then, but the one chance to transfer them was dashed when the tapes were destroyed and the reels sent away.

Now that I think of it, Manitoba Television Network alsoused to run Astro back in '93 or so, but that's WAY too extravagant.

Anyhow, I know there's an old thread here that had a complete list of all the Canadian dub names. I'll try to find it...

UPDATE!
Here's the list, but I filled in the blanks. I even came across my very first forum post in the same thread. XD
Uran = Sarah
Jump = Blip
Dr. Boyton = Dr. Balfus
Dr. Elefun = Professor Peabody
Daddy Walrus = Max McNugget
Lillian = Selena
Skunk = Slippery
Bruton = Commonturk

I can't pull any others from memory, but Atlas was the same...
Last edited by Fauna on Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

Daichi
Robot President

Well, I'm glad there's hope at least... Uh, yeah, just don't drive yourself nuts over it, okay? I'm rootin' for ya...

-Atlas

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”