The epic quest for fansubs

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby sgupta » 14 years ago

It's looking more and more like I may be able to get my hands on the Korean Release (1-24) as well as a (possibly) higher quality bootleg - will keep ya updated.

Bad Username
Kokoro Robot

Postby Bad Username » 14 years ago

Oh, cool. I might ask for the Korean subs, considering their quality. Also, I figured out a good way to make some money (to buy more DVDs) doing this without screwing anyone over: If I upload the finished episodes to DepositFiles, I can have 1 cent per download added to a PayPal account from their bonus program, and you don't have to pay a thing. The site doesn't always work for everyone, though, so I'll mirror the episodes on RapidShare and MegaUpload, but please try the DepositFiles links first.

I should be able to order the first volume next Monday.

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Bad Username, I'd be glad to help you out with that. Due to their rarity, I really would be happy to share them. Actually, except for special features (and I'm not sure about that), the Korean release should be equivalent of the Japanese version (5.1 sound, widescreen format and I'm assuming great PQ). I'd be curious to know the difference. At any rate, sans a shipping disaster or something, I should have this set sometime next week (doubting this week because of the holiday, but you never know).

Bad Username
Kokoro Robot

I'm pretty sure it won't have Eternal Boy. I'd also like to compare the VOBs of the Korean and Japanese releases; there might be a difference in quality.

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Actually, now that I think about it, you're right about Eternal Boy - it is *not* on the Korean set from what's been told to me (hence it being 24 eps instead of 25, which finally makes sense to me lol).

Yes, I'd be interested to know the VOB difference as well.

animegirlalways
Metro City Citizen

Postby animegirlalways » 14 years ago

I recently purchased an uncut version of the 2003 Astro Boy and the video/audio was good, but the subtitles were only so-so and it also has the clock in the top corner. I bought it because being an anime fan I could tell while watching the domestic complete collection I bought from Amazon.com that scenes were missing and they changed what was being said at times. Most of the episodes are out of order on the domestic DVD set also. The import I bought is Japanese with English/Chinese subtitles and includes the cut episode "Eonian Teenagers" and the episodes are in proper order. Overall I was glad I bought the import just because I got to see the missing scenes (most of which I don't understand why they cut) and got to see what order they are supposed to be watched. I still hope a domestic English/Japanese with subtitles uncut DVD set will be released.

Here is a post of mine that's more detailed and has a link for a petition for a dual language uncut release: http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4862

Here are the links to the import copies I bought:
http://www.shopanimedvd.com/product_info.php?products_id=1635
http://www.shopanimedvd.com/product_info.php?products_id=2831
Last edited by animegirlalways on Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bad Username
Kokoro Robot

Well, I can't personally think of any online petition that worked, except the ones set up by companies planning to do it anyway (Bioshock Collector's Edition, anyone?). In four days, I'll place the order for the first volume. Until then, I'll be watching Giant Robo and Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and playing League of Legends. I'm so productive! :rolleyes:

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

animegirlalways, those imports definitely look to be bootlegs also (the clock gives 'em away, as do the questionable subs).

Bad Username, nice - lol; I've had that same kind of productivity going all week (or less) ^.^.

animegirlalways
Metro City Citizen

Postby animegirlalways » 14 years ago

It was the only import I could find for the 2003 Astro Boy at the time.

I was just looking for a way to see the uncut version and couldn't find any downloads or YouTube videos that weren't the English version I already owned. For the most part the import I got is a good copy, but I know I could get much better subtitles from a domestic or fansub release. It'll do until a domestic uncut DVD set is released.
Last edited by animegirlalways on Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Yup - it seems the bootleg is the only available way to get it at this time; I did much the same. But one way or another, hopefully there'll be another alternative eventually here. =)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”