Ochanimizu and Tenma's Relationship

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 12 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:[QUOTE=AprilSeven;191286]Tenma is clearly supposed to be an Einstein-level genius, and Ochanomizu is first and foremost a humanist - and those two together represent the conflict between "science for science sake" and science for betterment of all that exists."

Good insight, AprilSeven; I liken Tenma to Dr. Frankenstein (of the novel, not so much the films), because both regarded their creations the cold scientific detachment, rather than fatherly love. Once they realized these creations failed to please them, they cast them out. Regardless of how Tenma may have certain similarities to Gepetto, he has stronger ties with Dr. F.

Though to use the term humanist with respect to Dr. O, I wonder if this is too narrow, because clearly, robots are not humans. Ochanomizu makes little distinction, if any, between them, though. :astro: "science for science sake" and science for betterment of all that exists" on the other hand, seems too broad; perhaps sentient beings, is more appropriate. :lol: [/QUOTE]

I'd say that's about right; O'Shay/Ochanimizu just seems to accept any form of life with genuine kindness, so "sentient beings" would probably be the best defenition.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”