STARRING "ASTRO GIRL"!

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Satus
Robot President

Postby Satus » 12 years ago

Convenient obliviousness. :lol:

I wondered about Astro's appearance at the end. :confused: But the text is too small for me to read on these scans.

I quickly searched for the book online, and somehow found images of covers from the whole set, there seems to be about 20. Darn it, now I want them all. :lol:

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 12 years ago

@AprilSeven--I won the book on eBay several years ago. I have not taken the time to translate the book, so I do not know the exact reason for her "hibernation" (or maybe "hibernation" is not the right word).

@Satus--The scans are from when the book was on auction on eBay so that may contribute to their lack of clarity. Yes this book, as well as the others in the series are very rare, and yes there appear to be only 20 volumes in the series. If you are interested in these storybooks, check out my previous thread about the storybook version of the lost manga episode "Jungle Kingdom"!

I :heart: :astro: :)

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 12 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing this, ASTROBUDDY! This is rare material!

Interesting, I did not know there had been such storybooks for the 1960 series; I only knew there had been for the 1980 series. Oh what I would have given to be able to have them when I was a child, since I couldn't record yet from TV!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 12 years ago

"ASTROBUDDY" wrote:Astro Girl protects the sleeping Green Princess!
[img]http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1361&stc=1&d=1328984036[/img]

In RIBON NO KISHI, there was an episode in which large lizard-like creatures went about eating people's shadows:
Episode #20, Monster Kagera
PK_04_2385.jpg
PK_04_2385.jpg (60.89 KiB) Viewed 1651 times

Slug monster Kagera is a shadow eater. Sapphire challenges the monster to a fight after finding out that she must beat it to revive the shadows that have already been eaten. But only devils can beat monsters. Sapphire asks Devil Mephisto to kill the monster in exchange for her mind.

All the kids gather around to hear a story, which just happens to precede the appearance of the creature in the story
My own notes are in color.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

That's interesting! Now I have one for you. While looking through the guide of episodes @TezukaOsamu.net, I could find no episode whose description matched "The Tale of the Green Princess". The stories in this stroybook series were, as far as I know, all adaptations of Astro Boy manga and anime episodes. Do you or any other Tezuka experts, out there, know if this episode was adapted from some other Tezuka story? If not, than this episode is a totally orignal tale!

I :heart: :astro: :)

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I myself do not see anything here that I can identify, other than my last post. It would help to have translations.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Well, I have told you the translated title of the episode, which is "The Tale of the Green Princess"! I have given you a synopsis of the episode in the first post of this thread. So I do not know what other translations I could give you, but thanks for your input.

Any other Tezuka experts out there with knowledge of any similarity between this and some other tale?

But while we are at it, AprilSeven wanted to know the purpose of her "hibernation" or why the Green Princess is asleep? Any one want to take a guess?

So here is the challenge, why is the Green Princess asleep inside the clear bubble? Let us see who can come the closest and after I translate, the winner will get one of Stan Lee's famous no-prizes! In other words, let's just have some fun with what is apparently an original story made especially for this series of storybooks!

I :heart: :astro: :D

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I refer to the text on nearly every page.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

See post immediately above your last post for response!

I :heart: :astro: :lol:

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 12 years ago

Hmmm . . . let's see . . . I think she's probably hibernating in order to acquire some kind of "power"

She comes back to life, and she's with Astro, and looks pretty much the same . . . so maybe she's no longer vulnerable (whereas before the hibernation she could have been killed).

What I DON'T "get" is the fact that - beyond physically resembling Uran, she also has shiny, "robotic" hair. She's not a robot, is she?? :eek:
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”