Official Astro Boy streams. Do not support piracy!

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Satus
Robot President

Postby Satus » 12 years ago

Viki works for me and I live in New Zealand. Hearing the Japanese 1980's Astro Boy episodes 3-52 is exciting, since I only have the Australian boxset. Thank you for the opportunity to see it in Japanese.

Jetter Mars is also on Videx.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 12 years ago

I just found via Facebook that Crackle put Metropolis on YouTube recently.

At least they'll get much more exposure that way. And reading all the comments might be interesting. :D Or depressing, because I still can't believe people don't like the art style.

Here are some Crunchyroll streams for North America:

Tezuka Productions' page
Under Black Jack, they have the 4 episode special OVA that Viki doesn't. It's kind of like a pilot to the TV series in a way. They also have some episodes of the TV series, but they're missing episode 4 (karte 03) which is Largo's introduction.

There's also 2 episodes of Wonder Beat Scramble from Mushi Production.

And you can access all of Tezuka Productions' videos on Videx here, there are 3 pages in all.
I'm on Twitter.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 12 years ago

Really? People are complaining about about Metropolis's art style? You know, I understand that Tezuka's art style is a bit different from how anime is drawn now, but I;d expect more people to like how cute his art style is. I guess not, apperantly.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 12 years ago

First of all YAAAY for Viki - our hope for finally seeing what we are otherwise being denied!!

Next, I was also not real fond of the animation "mash up" in Metropolis. Bringing 3D computer graphics and 2D animation together is somehow glaringly awkward to my eyes. I know a lot of studios do it, but I don't like it. I'd prefer one style or the other in any given film.

I'm also not a huge fan of Tezuka Productions tendency to make everything look sort of steampunk/art deco, and the characters almost "puffy" looking as in Metropolis, Astro Boy 2003 and the 21st century Astro Boy films. In a way, it's a more distinctive look (the older styles really do emulate Disney) but it's not how Dr. Tezuka designed his characters, and I feel it drifts too far from his vision (2003 Atom with his unblinking stare vs. 1960's Atom with his right-out-of-Bambi eyes and beautifully painted backgrounds...)
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Okay, that's a valid complaint. Admittedly, 3D can be very glaring if it's not intergrated properly, so I can see your issue there. Personally for me, whatever 3D that was there didn't bother me too much, though I do agree that 3D can look horrible in animation if it's just not intergrated properly.

Actually, the steampunk vibe was actually something I was surprised by in the 2003 series now that you mention it. Especially color wise; you look at the openings, and they're really colorful. And yet, the show itself seems somewhat muted in color. I didn't really mind as it went along, but it was jarring for me at first.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

The whole point of Metropolis is to create an oxymoron of old clashing against new though. In keeping with Tezuka's retro vision of the future (his Metropolis manga happens in 1999!). So you get traditional animation against 3D backgrounds, retro character designs against modern storytelling, classic jazz music in a futuristic cityscape, humans fighting against robots, love against logic, and so on.

"Prettywitchiusaka" wrote:And yet, the show itself seems somewhat muted in color. I didn't really mind as it went along, but it was jarring for me at first.

I think the US DVDs encode (and even the Korean ones on some degree) are somewhat grayed out. That's also why cybotron was reencoding episodes using awfully over-saturated colors a while back.
Last edited by F-Man on Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm on Twitter.

Alice
Kokoro Robot

Postby Alice » 12 years ago

Hello guys! :3

I have a little quest, am I right when I say that only the first 7 episodes are translated?
Because my fangirl heart broke to pieces when I began to watch the 8. episode and it didn't have subtitles...

I'll be waiting till the end of my days. *laughs*

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

"F-Man" wrote:The whole point of Metropolis is to create an oxymoron of old clashing against new though. In keeping with Tezuka's retro vision of the future (his Metropolis manga happens in 1999!). So you get traditional animation against 3D backgrounds, retro character designs against modern storytelling, classic jazz music in a futuristic cityscape, humans fighting against robots, love against logic, and so on.

[QUOTE=Prettywitchiusaka;198604]And yet, the show itself seems somewhat muted in color. I didn't really mind as it went along, but it was jarring for me at first.

I think the US DVDs encode (and even the Korean ones on some degree) are somewhat grayed out. That's also why cybotron was reencoding episodes using awfully over-saturated colors a while back.[/QUOTE]

I see what you're saying, but I can also see why April's complaint is also valid; some people just don't care for 3D intergration into 2D.

Oh, I see. I wouldn't know, since having seen certain episode of the series in Japanese, there's not much of a difference in color brightness to me.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

"Alice" wrote:Hello guys! :3

I have a little quest, am I right when I say that only the first 7 episodes are translated?
Because my fangirl heart broke to pieces when I began to watch the 8. episode and it didn't have subtitles...

I'll be waiting till the end of my days. *laughs*

Those, and episodes 26, 27 and 29.

Last time new episodes were subbed (three episodes) was on April 6. And before that was on March 19th.
I'm on Twitter.

Alice
Kokoro Robot

Postby Alice » 12 years ago

Then I'll wait. ^^

Thank you for the answer, though!

But why the episodes 26,27 and 29 and not the episodes 8, 9 and 10? O.o Why so irregular?

Well I'm happy that there's someone out there subbing them so I won't complain :D
Do as you please, as long as you don't hurt anyone.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”