Tezuka Funko Pops

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 8 years ago

Oh gee, I hadn't even thought about that...

SDCC? So that was released here as well??

I think my sister was in New York a few weeks ago... but I'm not too sure about the city proper... How does AUD translate into USD, anyway?

Are you sure it's on there? Because I looked, and I'm not finding it...

Also, doing an image search in the figure brings up a different toy, as well... it looks similar, but ultimately not as good, at least in my opinion. I wonder what the story behind this one is... I'mma look into it.
Last edited by Little Brown Fox on Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
lolwut

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 8 years ago

I went in to look, and good news, Hercules is now available from the Guangzhou merchant! Except he's...in Mont Blanc's box. Maybe this is just an error. This means that Astro and the other Greatest Robots ought to be available for general sale soon.

Here's the cheapest Astro option. Which is, like, still about $52USD / $67 CAD. But honestly, give it a week or so and we'll probably see him cheaper.

LBF, you might have seen the Funko Hikari figure of Astro. It's not a Pop figure, but it's Astro as a full body sofubi figure. There's also metallic and orange versions of him. I wouldn't mind getting one myself, but this figure's pretty sought-after and I'd have to get into a bidding fist fight over it. :x
Last edited by Fauna on Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Idk what sofubi is, exactly, but yeah, I did see plenty of those in my search, in a rainbow of colors. They aren't really my thing, but I almost want them because of their exclusivity alone; that's not a very good road to travel down...

I could have sworn that you said that Astro was there; maybe I misinterpreted? Eh. It matters very little, anyway; even if I could make the money, I cannot spend it due to PayPal's weird policies... (you didn't used to have to have a credit card or bank account to spend your money; I could have sworn...)
lolwut

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 8 years ago

"Little Brown Fox" wrote:Idk what sofubi is, exactly, but yeah, I did see plenty of those in my search, in a rainbow of colors. They aren't really my thing, but I almost want them because of their exclusivity alone; that's not a very good road to travel down...

This is what a sofubi is like, with "sofubi" coming from the English words "soft vinyl." This is an Arale Norimaki from my collection, and she's a lightweight PVC plastic figure, mostly hollow and kind of rubbery in thinner areas. I also have an Elecman figure from the Retro Roto Megaman series, and that may be a more recognizable brand of sofubi. Big Godzilla and super sentai figures are probably the most sofubi-made characters out there.

The Funko Hikari Astro Boy ones are all of premium quality, and depending on how tall they are, I might get the original colour Astro sofubi just to put it beside Arale on my shelf.
ImageImageImageImage

Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!

Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

But they're hollow? Eh, I guess most toys are... but, if it's rubbery in places then that might be a bad idea; not that I want any of those, anyway. They just don't appeal to me aesthetically. He looks kinda weird and angry... Anyways, what makes it a bad idea is cats. Specifically, one of my brother's cats has been living in my room for, gosh, nearly 3 years now? Because his other one had to get neutered; it was supposed to be temporary while he recovered, but after the initial two weeks he decided that it was his room, and his room alone. So, she lives with me. :T I've grown attached, but she's still highly inconvenient; case in point, while she doesn't actively knock things off of high places, at least not usually, she likes to walk around on these surfaces and may move stuff around with her wide, hairy behind... I wouldn't want anything too important to get knocked into the floor. But I have very limited space in which to place things...
lolwut

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 8 years ago

Okay, I'm SO annoyed. I wasn't happy with the fact that Astro Boy was an Asian exclusive but I understood it. He's an old character that isn't exactly making it big in modern anime. So...
Can someone explain to me why Gigantor gets to be in the main line? I got nothing against Gigantor but last I checked, he isn't much more popular :mad:

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 8 years ago

Hey what do you mean Atom isn't popular? Last time I looked Gigantor wasn't the mascot of a Rugby team! I doubt that there are any new Gigantor cell phone games, or that he appears on street crossing signs! And that pop looks like Pluto just stepped on his head!
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Did you think I was saying Astro isn't as popular? :unsure: Not my intention because your thoughts are mine exactly.
He's an old character that isn't exactly making it big in modern anime.

If you're referring to this, I meant that he is popular but not exactly Dragonball Z or Attack on Titan popular so it was understandable why they didn't rush to sell his Pop figure in America like they have those franchises but last I checked, neither was Gigantor so I don't understand why he gets sold in America but Astro doesn't
Last edited by Dragonrider1227 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Gigantor is more relevant to the giant mecha/robot genre. People love those genres; while Astro Boy has more than its fair share of giant robots, most of them aren't that famous (and the only one that really is is included in the Tezuka set). Plus, the series isn't really about giant robots, or any one giant robot in particular, so...

Idk. It seems like a giant robot would have more retro appeal. Not that I'm happy about that.
lolwut

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Had a feeling it was something like that. It actually makes logical sense for the most part but just fuels a growing frustration I've been having lately. And... I think this is actually bothering me more than it should. :unsure:
Last edited by Dragonrider1227 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:58 am, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”