Tezuka Funko Pops

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 8 years ago

Hey now, am I the only person here who likes Gigantor? Or, as I'm way more familiar calling him, Tetsujin 28?

With all the awful new anime pops (i.e. the Attack on Titan ones), I'm super happy to see Tetsujin being made into a figure. He's the first anime giant robot, and Astro is the first anime protagonist, so you don't need to pit them against each other. They're classic anime cohorts. Besides, Funko is putting out FAR WORSE vinyl figures for anime characters...

Astro is getting a whole host of character figures released, Asia-exclusive as they are, while Tetsujin just gets one figure total. I think it balances out, and they ought to team up against this "best of anime".
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 8 years ago

yeah sorry, never meant to sound like I disliked Gigantor and I hardly mean to be "pitting them against each other." It would just be nice to be able to go on amazon or almost any store selling Pop Vinyls and pick up the Astro Boy figure for around $10-$15 like Gigantor fans can with theirs as apposed to the $35 to even $50 Astro and other Tezuka figures are currently going for. Especially since out of the hundreds of Pop Vinyl figures readily available, Astro is probably the only one I'd actually be willing to go buy (except maybe the Cobra Commander one I saw pictures of XD) so it's really annoying that the one I'd buy is the one they're not releasing here and so maybe I appeared a bit bitter and jealous. Sorry about that.

plus yeah, those look kinda terrible. Maka looks like a Cabbage Patch Kid .__.
Last edited by Dragonrider1227 on Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:36 am, edited 5 times in total.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 8 years ago

Hm. As far as Funko Pop! goes, I might would go for a few besides Astro. There's the Leo and Coco duo, for one. And then there's the unrelated Toothless the dragon. And Tinkerbell holds a special place for me, being as that was a nickname of mine as a child (and still sort of is sometimes, for my mother at least).

I'm kind of surprised that there isn't an Uran, honestly. I don't like her that much, if at all, but a set without her seems incomplete, somehow. Also, a Unico one seems like a natural step, especially since they've already got Leo. I'm not sure if I count as a fan of Blackjack, but he's kind of cool, all the same... Wasn't there a Princess Knight one? I've never even read that; I need to.

Bah, it's not like it matters. Even if I could make the money (which I'm not so sure would be too hard), I'm still not in a position to spend any of it, and likely won't be anytime soon (thanks a lot, PayPal). :T
lolwut

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

"Fauna" wrote:Astro is getting a whole host of character figures released, Asia-exclusive as they are, while Tetsujin just gets one figure total.

That actually makes me kinda wonder if that's one of the reasons Astro is an asian exclusive. Gigantor only being one figure means less for them to loose if it doesn't sell as apposed to an entire line of figures that might not sell. I know I personally would probably only buy Astro. Maybe Ochanomizu and Uran if possible but I honestly wouldn't mind if they only released Astro in America. Never been a completest when collecting XD

"Little Brown Fox" wrote:Hm. As far as Funko Pop! goes, I might would go for a few besides Astro. There's the Leo and Coco duo, for one. And then there's the unrelated Toothless the dragon. And Tinkerbell holds a special place for me, being as that was a nickname of mine as a child (and still sort of is sometimes, for my mother at least).

I'm kind of surprised that there isn't an Uran, honestly. I don't like her that much, if at all, but a set without her seems incomplete, somehow. Also, a Unico one seems like a natural step, especially since they've already got Leo. I'm not sure if I count as a fan of Blackjack, but he's kind of cool, all the same... Wasn't there a Princess Knight one? I've never even read that; I need to.

Bah, it's not like it matters. Even if I could make the money (which I'm not so sure would be too hard), I'm still not in a position to spend any of it, and likely won't be anytime soon (thanks a lot, PayPal). :T

If all else fails there could be the off chance someone at an anime convention has these. At least I think. I actually don't know how common Pop! Asia is in anime conventions
There is a Princess Knight
http://www.amazon.com/MINDSTYLE-EXCLUSIVE-PRINCESS-SAPPHIRE-TEZUKA/dp/B013Q1MNKE
and I think Uran is planned
Attachments
IMG 2515.jpg
IMG 2515.jpg (46.53 KiB) Viewed 1625 times
Last edited by Dragonrider1227 on Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Oh that's new! Hm. Also that's a different Astro! When is this line coming out, I wonder?

And why no Cobalt?? > :|

If there's already a Series 2, I'm super worried about the availability of Series 1... I just want that plain old Astro figure... (not that I might wouldn't get the other one, if I could...) Blargh. Some of those were already in the first set, weren't they? Pluto and Hercules were, I think. And they don't seem to look any different to me... And I'm not sure I want an Uran, but weirdly, I kinda feel bad at the idea of not getting one. Like I said, it feels weird without a set...

(I am concerned)
lolwut

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

I don't think series two is out yet. I have yet to see any photos of these so I think this is just sort of a preview

BTW guys, I talked to some Pop Vinyl collectors and they suggest checking these sites for Asia exclusives
http://fugitivetoys.com/
https://www.toytokyo.com/
Astro isn't up yet but they already seem to have others.
Last edited by Dragonrider1227 on Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

I know Toy Tokyo is worthless on that front (although they have Ochanomizu and the Leo+Coco combo pack that I was eyeballing), but maybe I'll give it a look. It's not like it matters, like, at all (and I am sure you are all very tired of hearing me say that all the time, but it is still true), but who knows... maybe I'll luck out one of these days. :T
lolwut

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

That's okay. I've been lamenting about this myself as you've noticed. Like I said, could probably keep an eye out at conventions. I found my Hot Toys Astro Boy at one of those.

Is Toy Tokyo that bad?

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Idk. I just know that I looked, and couldn't find what I wanted. i.e. the Astro figure, which ironically seems to be the most popular and widespread of the lot, as far as I can tell... which is probably why people think they can get away with asking so much for it...

You mean the action figure based on the movie, right? Man, that thing is so rare and expensive; but, even though the movie is mediocre at best, I'd still kill to have one of those things (not literally btw but you feel me right?). The other one, with him suspended by cables, is also kind of neat (and that was my favorite scene in the movie, I reckon- the kind of thing that by itself, would make a person think that the movie is cool). But dang, it sure is expensive... like, arm and a leg level expensive. :T

I can't go to conventions. That's too much of a luxury; besides, who the heck would I go with? I'm not terribly comfortable with most of the folks around here. Never mind I don't have the funds to actually buy anything, and would probably die just by going anyway- my social skills and tolerance for people are very low.
lolwut

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

I've noticed that. Most of the other robots from that line go for about 15 to 20 dollars while Astro and Ochanomizu command 40-60 >< Well, in time maybe that'll go down when they realize most of us can't pay that kind of money. And yeah, at the moment neither of those sites have him but in time they might.

And yes, I do mean the movie one and yeah, he was expensive when I got him and appears to have only gotten more expensive since X_X Hot Toys figures usually are though. In retrospect it is surprising they made it since Hot Toys usually doesn't make figures based on animated films like this.

oh, I see. I'm sorry =( I don't go to many myself

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”