CHITAN: 1st 8 pages

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 7 years ago

In a fan fiction I wrote, I changed his name to Titan, but Uran still called him 'Chi-tan'. It's interesting that Tezuka chose "elemental" names for Atom's family. In fact in another fan fiction, I invented two new characters with 'elemental' names, "Tetsu" (Japanese word for 'Iron') and "Argon".

If you listen to the Japanese language sound tracks, you'll hear than Uran is pronounced as "oo-ran", as you suggest. Cobalt is actually "Kobaruto", most Japanese names end in a vowel sound.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 7 years ago

"ASTROBUDDY" wrote:[QUOTE=jeffbert;240425]Thanks, ASTROBUDDY; I must have the same book? pages 60 & 61 contain the 8 pages of Chitan's origin story.

No, they are two different books. The "Mighty Atom Complete Book" has synopses of all the manga and the 60s and 80s anime series.

I :heart: :astro: :) [/QUOTE]
I searched ebay using that title, & found the book I already have; the one with the chronicles in one volume, and information in the other. Also found the KILOWATT GUY!

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 7 years ago

I bought my copy at a Kinokuniya book store in my native New York City back in 2003.

Checking eBay, the book listed as "Mighty Atom Complete Book" is the book that featured the "Ti-Tan(ium)" synopsis I translated in the earlier post, but it is not the same book that has the pages of the first part of the "Ti-Tan(ium)" episode that you are translating. Title of that book is "Astro Boy guide book: Zusetsu Tetsuwan Atomu" (by Seiji Mori)
Those are two different books.

Actually "Oran" was at one time the accepted translation of Atom's sister's name. Also the Japanese pronounce "Urane's" name with the short "u" or "oo" sound, thus the sound you heard, Tetsuwan Penguin.

I :heart: :astro: :)
Last edited by ASTROBUDDY on Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

So, it was by sheer chance, that the 8 pages of CHITAN were included in the book I bought? :lol:
CHITAN, P#4-6 (Illustrated Mighty Atom -MoriHaruro_0060).jpg
CHITAN, P#4-6 (Illustrated Mighty Atom -MoriHaruro_0060).jpg (100.03 KiB) Viewed 2267 times

4:
Ochanomizu:
気にいったらおまえのうちの赤ちゃんにしていいよ
Kinīttara omae no uchi no akachan ni shite ī yo
Are you sure you want to in the baby out of you if you like
Babylon: If we felt it out of your baby
Babelfish: If you only care about babies out of you.

Uran:
キェー
Kyē
Kye

5:
Ochanomizu:
ただし
Tadashi
But
Babelfish: However

6:
Ochanomizu:
その子はなんでもひねるくせがある
Sonoko wa nan demo hineru kuse ga aru
There is a habit of twisting anything is the child
Babylon: The child has a habit is everything but twist
Babelfish: Has a habit of twisting anything she
Last edited by jeffbert on Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

"jeffbert" wrote:So, it was by sheer chance, that the 8 pages of CHITAN were included in the book I bought? :lol:
[attachment=]6470[/attachment]
4:
Ochanomizu:
気にいったらおまえのうちの赤ちゃんにしていいよ
Kinīttara omae no uchi no akachan ni shite ī yo
Are you sure you want to in the baby out of you if you like
Babylon: If we felt it out of your baby
Babelfish: If you only care about babies out of you.

Uran:
キェー
Kyē
Kye

5:
Ochanomizu:
ただし
Tadashi
But
Babelfish: However

6:
Ochanomizu:
その子はなんでもひねるくせがある
Sonoko wa nan demo hineru kuse ga aru
There is a habit of twisting anything is the child
Babylon: The child has a habit is everything but twist
Babelfish: Has a habit of twisting anything she

I am not sure what you mean, but you asked me for the name of the book that featured "Ti-Tan(ium)" and I told you. So it may have been sheer chance that a dealer on eBay had the book. I hope you also see that that book also has other interesting Astro Boy info.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

"ASTROBUDDY" wrote:[QUOTE=jeffbert;240453]So, it was by sheer chance, that the 8 pages of CHITAN were included in the book I bought? :lol:

I am not sure what you mean, but you asked me for the name of the book that featured "Ti-Tan(ium)" and I told you. So it may have been sheer chance that a dealer on eBay had the book. I hope you also see that that book also has other interesting Astro Boy info.

I :heart: :astro: :) [/QUOTE]
:blush: As I understood it, then, I did not even buy the same book you bought, but both had the Chitan pages; :blush: though that makes little sense. :hyo: I scanned the entire Characters chapter, & do intend to use info from it, because there is no data on Chitan in the Tezuka Character Guides. :astro:
Last edited by jeffbert on Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Okay, let's try this one more time. You said you found the book on eBay and I said it looks familiar. You bought the book and it had the "Ti-Tan(ium) pages, so it turns out it was the same book I have.

I, then, provided a synopsis from the book titled in English, "The Complete Atom Book"!
This book you discovered on eBay under that title, ("The Complete Atom Book"). This book was published 2003 to coincide with "The Birth of Atom". It contains among other things synopses of all of Atom's manga adventures, including "Shonen" and "Mighty Atom Club" stories. Also has synopses of the two Atom anime ('63 & '80). I think you bought this book because I seem to remember you mentioning the companion book which reprints the Atom newspaper strips in their original form from 1967.

I hope this resolves the confusion.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

That is right; the confusion was mine. :blush:

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Thanks to your info here are some pictures I wanted to upload earlier:
The covers of the "Mighty Atom(u) Club" magazine which featured the "Ti-Tan(ium)" story! The first part had the cover with Atom and other Mushi anime! The second part featured Atom in a baseball outfit!

Attachments
MIGHTY ATOM CLUB (5-66.jpg
MIGHTY ATOM CLUB (5-66.jpg (42.82 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
MIGHTY ATOM CLUB (4-66).jpg
MIGHTY ATOM CLUB (4-66).jpg (35.82 KiB) Viewed 2131 times
Last edited by ASTROBUDDY on Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Here are some more images that I wanted to upload before but was having trouble. First is the only cover of "Mighty Atom Club" magazine to feature "Ti-Tan". Second the synopsis of the story I translated with a scene from the story.

Attachments
TI-TAN(IUM)'S SYNOPSIS.jpg
TI-TAN(IUM)'S SYNOPSIS.jpg (37.06 KiB) Viewed 2134 times
MIGHTY ATOM CLUB ( 6-66).jpg
MIGHTY ATOM CLUB ( 6-66).jpg (45.55 KiB) Viewed 2130 times

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”