My Mary Sue/Gary Stu Test

Show off all your awesome art, writings and other creations here.
Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

Thanks for taking my little test!

So far I am getting good reviews for this test both here and on DA. I've been stressing over the point system and questions for some time so it's reassuring to hear people that they have been getting fair results.

tailz
Banned

Postby tailz » 10 years ago

I personally don't like Mary Sue or Gary Stu stuff cause I think it's just kinda... well not trying to offend anyone here but it's just stupid to me. It causes problems... many of them. :ninja:

Also, What's a Mary Sue/Gary Stu? *Answers self* I'm guessing it's another way of saying "goodie two shoes." :lol:

Gee, thanks me! :lol:
Hello! If you wish to speak with me on other sites then Follow me on these sites below:

http://my.desktopnexus.com/tailz/

http://www.aimini.net/look/?pid=d24TGUDedhOYX1QAcgzS

http://nanonanopudding.deviantart.com/

Keep in mind that I do Not own theses sites. These sites belong to their rightful owners. Thank you. :)

My fansite:http://blackjackpudding.webs.com/apps/profile/84233730/

[sigpic][/sigpic]

I love 初音ミク :heart:

Earthshine

Hm, you're wrong with that actually Tailz.

A "mary sue/gary stu" is not just a 'goody two shoes' (though they MIGHT be) as the definition of one varies from person to person.

Rather 'mary sue/gary stu' is an umbrella term for fictional characters that come off as being perfect to the point of unbelievable extremes. Those in fanfiction circles have branched this term out to more less brand original characters they don't like as Mary Sues, but this is unfair. A mary sue might also be used to describe characters that are simply poorly written.

For this particular test I focused on the perfection that most Mary Sues are pinged for having; being from a rich family, being beautiful, being unbeatable, being so intelligent they will run laps around Hawking and just being so perfect nothing wrong could possibly happen to them all at once. Sure they might suffer and be exposed to tragedies, but their actions and reactions along the way come off as so unrealistic it can be said to be comical.

So in short; the definition of a 'mary sue/gary stu' varies and is not completely set in stone.
Last edited by Earthshine on Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gotta Love ASTRO BOY
Cosmic Ranger

Postby Gotta Love ASTRO BOY » 10 years ago

"Earthshine" wrote:Hm, you're wrong with that actually Tailz.

A "mary sue/gary stu" is not just a 'goody two shoes' (though they MIGHT be) as the definition of one varies from person to person.

Rather 'mary sue/gary stu' is an umbrella term for fictional characters that come off as being perfect to the point of unbelievable extremes. Those in fanfiction circles have branched this term out to more less brand original characters they don't like as Mary Sues, but this is unfair. A mary sue might also be used to describe characters that are simply poorly written.

For this particular test I focused on the perfection that most Mary Sues are pinged for having; being from a rich family, being beautiful, being unbeatable, being so intelligent they will run laps around Hawking and just being so perfect nothing wrong could possibly happen to them. Sure they might suffer and be exposed to tragedies, but their actions and reactions along the way come off as so unrealistic it can be said to be comical.

So in short; the definition of a 'mary sue/gary stu' varies and is not completely set in stone.

Also thought I would add, one thing I have noticed with Mary-sues is every time they do something wrong, they are always in the right by the end, or their actions are always justified. Like they kill someone, but then you find out it was to save the world. Also that they are very liked a lot and almost always forgiven for the few accidents they do make.

I tested one of my OC's, Rowan, and she got a 355, however I know this test doesn't apply to her very much, because she is a succubus demon and in no way is a mary-sue :lol: . I think this test mostly just applies to OCs of the human or human based species [Superman would count as a human based species] :) .

tailz
Banned

Postby tailz » 10 years ago

Good. So as long as I know Ichigo Momomiya and Black Jack isn't one of them. (it annoys when people say they are. Meanies.)

And oh, I know. I was kidding myself is all. :ninja:

Mary sues and Gary stus means nothing to me. That is all, enough said. :ninja:
Hello! If you wish to speak with me on other sites then Follow me on these sites below:

http://my.desktopnexus.com/tailz/

http://www.aimini.net/look/?pid=d24TGUDedhOYX1QAcgzS

http://nanonanopudding.deviantart.com/

Keep in mind that I do Not own theses sites. These sites belong to their rightful owners. Thank you. :)

My fansite:http://blackjackpudding.webs.com/apps/profile/84233730/

[sigpic][/sigpic]

I love 初音ミク :heart:

Earthshine

Yes! There is also that. Thanks for adding that.

As for your character there are some restrictions and I tried to account for stuff like that (if you'd noticed the forgivances for robots, faye and demons on a couple questions) but naturally there is just no way the test could account for EVERY scenario.

Still even is someone DOES get a Mary Sue status on my test doesn't mean it's a bad thing, and not all "Mary Sues" are bad characters (such as Alucard and Sebastian getting this status).

Which ironically... they are demonic in some ways.

I tried this test for fun on one of my alien characters that is a telepath and only looking somewhat like a human and they got the status of being an "intrepid entity" which surprised me (I thought they would at least be a Mary Psue).

Just depends on mental perception.

Gotta Love ASTRO BOY
Cosmic Ranger

"Earthshine" wrote:Yes! There is also that. Thanks for adding that.

As for your character there are some restrictions and I tried to account for stuff like that (if you'd noticed the forgivances for robots, faye and demons on a couple questions) but naturally there is just no way the test could account for EVERY scenario.

Still even is someone DOES get a Mary Sue status on my test doesn't mean it's a bad thing, and not all "Mary Sues" are bad characters (such as Alucard and Sebastian getting this status).

Which ironically... they are demonic in some ways.

I tried this test for fun on one of my alien characters that is a telepath and only looking somewhat like a human and they got the status of being an "intrepid entity" which surprised me (I thought they would at least be a Mary Psue).

Just depends on mental perception.

Oh I didn't notice the forgivances o:, but yes I understand how they can't cover every scenario :lol: I have also tried to make a mary-sue test, but it is very hard to do, especially doing it alone :lol:

Yeah I noticed how some characters seem as if they would fit into the category of mary-sue if just analyzing their abilities/characteristics yet they don't seem very mary-sue like when seeing them [like most mary-sues just irritate me slightly, but ones like Sebastian don't. Like he is mary-sue to a point, but then there is this mystery and darkness to him that makes him not a mary-sue, however some could still find him irritating like a mary-sue xD]

Hmm that is interesting, yeah it does depend on that.

Juanita
On a Flight into Space

Postby Juanita » 10 years ago

I decided to try a fairy character I came up with. She got 240 - intrepid entity.
I must be better at making characters than I thought!

Gotta Love ASTRO BOY
Cosmic Ranger

"SOPikaMeowMeow" wrote:I decided to try a fairy character I came up with. She got 240 - intrepid entity.
I must be better at making characters than I thought!

Oh what is this fairy like? O: [sorry, just curious, you don't have to tell me :lol: ]

Earthshine

Good. So as long as I know Ichigo Momomiya and Black Jack isn't one of them

Ehh a lot of people use the term "Mary Sue" too much and improperly, a lot of the time they will declare anyone that finds a way to succeed or 'win' a lot of the time to be a "Mary Sue" when they are misunderstanding the character. While Black Jack does have one Mary Sue trait (being able to cure most anything with surgery, it's a perfection) this does not mean that he IS a Mary Sue.

Most good characters are unique in this or that, it's what makes them interesting and special. When they start to be too 'special' and unbeatable and almost impervious to anything negative around them (such as always being 'right' or an emotional rock in some cases) that they become Mary Sues.

My test tried to focus on one's personal perception of the character instead of the character themselves. A lot of creative minds do make wonderful characters but lose their way with them when it comes to actually doing things with them and having them interact with the world in which they inhabit.

For example on one of my questions was "What happens when your character is slipped a sleeping agent and they are about to be raped/ravaged" and one of the options is "They wake up and just kill the person".

This is unrealistic and more of an action forced by the creator and not specifically within the character's abilities. This is what makes a character a Mary Sue I think.

Return to “Fan Creations”