RPG-The Ochanomizu/Tenma Files: The Early Years

All forum games and role play threads should go here.
Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 10 years ago

Dr. O'Shay stood there for a few moments before coming up with a response.

O: I'd like a recount on the vote, if you don't mind Dr. Becker. Specifically, I'd like to know the exact count for each of us.

Dr. Tenma's face took on a look of disbelief.

T: Surely you aren't accusing anyone of manipulating the vote, Dr. O'Shay.

O: Not at all, Dr. Tenma. I have my reasons for asking.

Dr. Becker picked up the tally sheet he had been using.
B: Dr. O'Shay's request is within reason. The vote count was close. It was eight votes for Dr. O'Shay, and nine for Dr. Tenma. I hope that satisfies you Dr. O'Shay.

O: Thank you Dr. Becker, it does. It seems, however that there is one vote missing.

B: How do you figure that?

O: I believe that Dr. Pavillion might have left his wishes known in this matter. The two of you were communicating via email about the time that Dr. Tenma was being interviewed for the position here, and I'm sure that Dr. Pavillion had made his intentions clear, since he was planning on retiring.

B: Yes, that's true. In fact, Dr. Pavillion did leave a sealed correspondence in my mailbox, which I never got around to open after his death.

O: I think you ought to do that now.

Dr. Becker left the room and headed for his office to retrieve the envelope.

T: What kind of trick are you trying to pull here, O'Shay?

O: No trick Umataro. I'm just respecting the wishes of the deceased.

Dr. Becker returned to the conference room with a look on his face of a man who had just seen a ghost.

B: It seems that things have suddenly become rather tricky. Let me read you what Dr. Pavillion wrote:
“Dear Dr. Becker: As you know I've decided to retire from the position of director and that will require a vote of the board to elect a someone to take my place. What you don't know, is why I've suddenly made this decision. My health has been failing me for some time and I've done my best to keep that a secret from the board. I now fear I have very little time left, and that's why I've started to look for a suitable replacement for myself, I don't want any infighting among the members of the board. Up until a few days ago I was convinced I'd found my replacement in Dr. Umataro Tenma, and I know I mentioned that to you many times. However, very recently new facts have been brought to light for me, and I have decided that I would cast my vote for Dr. O'Shay to take my place. I will call for a vote in two days, and I'm leaving this communication in your hands to be opened if I cannot be present for that vote.”
B: Dr. Pavillion died the day before he would have called for that vote.

T: So it seems that we now have a tie vote, if Dr. Pavillion's letter actually serves as his ballot.

B: In fact, it does. However we do not have a tie vote. The rules governing the election for director state that in the event of a tie, the vote of the current director counts twice.

T: But Dr. Pavillion wasn't the director at the time of the vote. He's a corpse!

B: Not true. If he left a directive before his death, it is as effective as if he were at the vote. I'm afraid that Dr. O'Shay has won the election.

Dr. Tenma stormed out of the room and slammed the door loudly behind him.
Last edited by Tetsuwan Penguin on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 10 years ago

(O'Shay ran to the door to go running after him, but became bombarded by his fellow scientists as they came up to congratulate him)

(Meanwhile, Tenma is in office working, doing anything he can to simply get his mind off of what just happened. He hears a knock at the door)

T; Come in.

(O'Shay walks into the room. Tenma just gives him a stern look)

O: I hope I'm not interrupting anything...

T: Not really...

(Tenma returns to his work. O'Shay merely sighs as he walks over to the guest chair in Tenma's office and pulls it up to his desk.)

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

O: You know, Dr. Pavillion not only oversaw the Ministry's daily operations, he was also the head of the robotic's division, as well as all of engineering. He was rather competent at the latter, but often ignored the former. If you had won the election, I'm afraid that you'd be so engrossed with your own work that you'd have fallen into the same trap.

T: Really? (Tenma said, almost under his breath)

O: Why did you want the director's position so badly?

T: As I told you, I know how to lead teams of engineers, and I have the knowledge and skill to make this place the world leader in robotics.

O: Then why don't you do so?

T: Er? What are you getting at?

O: I don't want to take on the technical lead portion of the director's job. I'd be content to manage the more important business end of the place. The Ministry ran poorly at times under Pavillion's sloppy direction. Records were lost, supplies weren't paid for, vendors refused to deal with us. I could go on, but you get the idea.
Tenma's face brightened up a bit.

T: So what are you proposing, Dr. O'Shay?

O: I want you to assume the position of Director of Engineering, a new position I will propose be created here. I will assume management of the business end of the Ministry, which is what I wanted to do all along. It does mean, I'll have the right to decide which projects get funded, of course.

T: So you are putting a leash around my neck? (The smile on Tenma's face fell.)

O: Not unless you have some radical plans I don't know about. I've read your recent white papers on robotics. I know what kind of research and projects you've proposed. I agree with all of them. Your Kokoro A.I. initiative sounds most impressive.

T: In truth, I never liked the idea of being an accountant. Bean counters are the scum of the earth, no offense intended.

O: None taken. They are a necessary evil, but now we will have an accountant with an engineering degree as well. (O'Shay pointed to himself). So do we have an agreement?

O'Shay offered his hand to Tenma, who took it and they shook hands to seal the deal.

T: We do. I can't wait to really get to work now!
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)

My home page

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 10 years ago

O'Shay smiled and left the room, then breathe a sigh of relief.

Tenma called Hoshie.

H: Hello! Did you get the job?

T: Almost. A rather crazy vote, only lost by a little.

H: Oh, I'm sorry...

T: It's okay for the moment. O'Shay got it, and he says he wants to create a new position, which will be Director of Engineering. Whether he agrees to everything I have in mind remains to be seen, but of the moment, that will leave me with more time to develop them than if I was in charge of the ministry. I might actually be able to progress faster for the time being.

H: Oh, that's good.

T: Yes. I won't be late tonight.

H: Good! Goodbye!

Hoshie hung up. She was surprised at the relative serenity of her husband, knowing how much the position meant to him. But as much as she craved to see him succeed, she had to admit to herself that she, too, wasn't sure Tenma would have been that happy having the whole ministry in charge. However, she was convinced that sooner or later, conflicts would emerge. O'Shay seemed so different from her husband.

Meanwhile, a collegue knocked at Tenma's door.

T: Yes...? Oh, professor Uchimura!

U: I really wish you had won... I'm really sorry.

T: Oh, forget it.

U: Really? You don't want to fight any more than that? I don't think this kind of posthume votes are very common in this country...

T: Perhaps not, but I don't know if it's worth it.

U: I can't believe we'll be stuck with O'Shay... Do you really believe he will allow your projects?

Tenma didn't reply. He didn't want to talk about his conversation before O'Shay made it official.

U: Well, think about it, and let me know if you want my help... Bye!

A perplexed Tenma watched him leave.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Professor Uchimura rubbed his hands together and cackled out loud as he walked away from Tenma's office. He turned a corner and practically ran into Dr. Boyton who had just exited from his office.

B: Ah, Uchimura! I'm going to guess that you just confronted Dr. Tenma.

U: Yes, I just dropped a few hints on him.

B: Do you think he'll bite?

U: If Tenma is as paranoid as I suspect he his, he'll turn our way. If he doesn't, there are a few others that we might be able to enlist in our scheme.

B: I don't know about that. It seems to me that Tenma is the only one I'd hope would stand up to O'Shay. Besides, you haven't yet fully convinced me that O'Shay is going to be trouble.

U: Listen Boyton, if you don't have the stomach for this why don't you just back off. I'm going to take effective control of the Ministry one way or another. Either I'll be the De facto director, or I'll be pulling O'Shay's puppet strings. It doesn't matter to me one bit. You can join me, or be swept aside, your choice!

Dr. Tenma scratched his head in thought. He looked at his watch and saw that he'd better get going if he was to be home on time as he had promised Hoshie. Something was nagging him, and he did a quick search on the Internet. He cross referenced Professor Uchimura and Dr. O'Shay, on the theory that the two of them might have something in common. Sure enough his suspicions were confirmed. Tenma sighed. It was too in the day to start playing detective, so he made himself a mental note to continue this line of research the first thing in the morning.
Last edited by Tetsuwan Penguin on Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

My home page

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 10 years ago

Hoshie heard Tenma coming at the door.

H: Long day?

T: Yes, to put it mildly...

H: How do you feel... honestly?

T: Honestly, yeah... That's the issue, in fact. O'Shay seems honest, but I can't be totally sure yet he'll endorse all my ideas. And others seem to have different ideas in mind for me... but it's too late to speak about this.

H: And what about that project you were working on yesterday?

T: Should be able to get it approved... Good night!

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Dr. O'Shay's first day in charge of the Ministry was a bit of an eye opener. He spend most of the day getting things in order, the office paperwork was a mess! Buried at the bottom of a pile of papers was a written proposal from Dr. Tenma, which included funding and staff requests.
“This is enough to make my head spin!” O'Shay muttered to himself. “Dr. Pavillion had managed things much worse than I had feared!”

There was a knock on the door and Dr. Tenma entered.

T: Good afternoon, Dr. O'Shay. Have you had a chance to review my funding and staff requests for the projects I've proposed.

O: Frankly, no. I've wasted most of my day putting Pavillion's house of cards back in order.

T: I can come back later, if you're busy.

O: No, it's important and you've been waiting long enough. If Pavillion were still alive, your project would be six months behind schedule in no time.

O'Shay shuffled the piles of papers and found Tenma's documents.

O:Here we are. Everything seems in order, except for the staffing requests. I'm afraid that I can't approve all of the assistants that you've requested, the budget won't allow for that.

T: That's not acceptable. The level of staffing I've put in was the minimal required for the work load.

O: I realize that. While we can't hire all of the personal you requested, I can reassign existing staff to your projects on a rotating basis.

T: That might be acceptable, if the people involved are competent. Who did you have in mind?

O: Myself, actually. Your Kokoro A.I. Project is something I'm dying to work with you on.

T: Well, in that case.....
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

My home page

Return to “Games & Role Play”