All about the Mighty Atom Club Magazines (1964-66)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Re: All about the Mighty Atom Club Magazines (1964-66)

Postby jeffbert » 3 years ago

In the middle of the MY MANGA feature. It covers, based on the pictures, 4 fingers/5 fingers, 3 depictions of Atom, tall, medium, & cutesy.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

1965-09 page 59 has MUSHIPRO news, including a section on the GOLDKEY comic. I though all those American-made ASTROBOY comics were unlicensed. Odd, that I could only find a few references to them on this forum.

Also plenty of stuff about W3 in this issue.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 3 years ago

The Gold Key comics were licensed by NBC Films. I guess since they were paying for the series. I guess they felt they could market merchandise for the series in the US. As you know NBC was the network which bought and brought "Astro Boy" to the US and sold it to the US television syndication market via their distribution arm, NBC Films.)
As to your other findings, these "Mighty Atom Club" magazines are very interesting, especially for aficionados like ourselves.--Astrobuddy
I :heart: :astro: :) ; "Go, Go, Go!"; "Catch the Future!"

(I just looked at the cover of the Gold Key comic book and it has on the cover a copyright seal dated 1965 by National Broadcasting Company, Instead of NBC Films, but the theorem above still holds true since they were the same company with NBC being the parent company.)--Astrobuddy

Astro Boy cover.jpg
Astro Boy cover.jpg (93.75 KiB) Viewed 3879 times
ASTRO BOY MARCH OF COMICS (2).jpg
ASTRO BOY MARCH OF COMICS (2).jpg (106.42 KiB) Viewed 3877 times

jeffbert
Minister of Science

What is this MARCH OF COMICS thing? Never heard of it, before.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Astro Boy was also marketed in a slim digest size comic book which was distributed through different stores; primarily shoe stores and was given away with a purchase of shoes. It was also sold in bagged comic books--6 for $ .49. Other characters appeared in these digest size comic books under the "March of Dimes" comic book series banner such as "Tarzan", (in reprints from his Gold Key series.) The Gold Key imprint featured a lot of Television licensees such as: "The Flintstones", the Disney "Zorro" series which starred Guy Williams,"The Jetsons" among others.--Astrobuddy

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Thanks, ASTROBUDDY!

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Your welcome, Jeffbert!

Now to get back to the theme of this thread, we now know there was an Astro Boy manga in the Nov. 1966 issue of "Mighty Atom Club" magazine but it has not yet been identified. We also now know that the issues previously thought to have no Astro Boy manga have manga which are adaptations of previously aired anime episodes as opposed to manga stories which will be adapted into episodes for the anime.

For example the manga story in the March, April, May,1965 issues was a three part adaptation of one of the highest rated anime episodes of the series when it originally aired on Japanese television. It is also the only full color episode of the series. I speak of the episode invariably known as "The Earth Defense Squadron/the Moon Monsters!

MIGHTY ATOM CLUB# 3 (2).jpg
MIGHTY ATOM CLUB# 3 (2).jpg (99.41 KiB) Viewed 3835 times

EARTH DEFENSE SQUADRON manga.jpg
EARTH DEFENSE SQUADRON manga.jpg (203.96 KiB) Viewed 3835 times
EARTH DEFENSE SQUADRON MANGA #a.jpg
EARTH DEFENSE SQUADRON MANGA #a.jpg (196.91 KiB) Viewed 3835 times

EARTH DEFENSE SQUADRON manga #2.jpg
EARTH DEFENSE SQUADRON manga #2.jpg (169.13 KiB) Viewed 3835 times
EARTH DEFENSE SQUADRON #b.jpg
EARTH DEFENSE SQUADRON #b.jpg (102.62 KiB) Viewed 3835 times

There were some differences from the anime version to the manga version.
First In the splash panel for the first manga part, Astro Boy wears a red uniform instead of the blue colored uniform he wears in the anime version. Also he does not wear this uniform in any other part of the rest of the manga version.
Also there is no rivalry between Ranger #5 & Ranger #7. [In the English dub Ranger #7 is known as "Philbert Capfield" and Ranger #5 is known as "Tex McCute".] (This a nod to the feuding families of the Old West--"The Hatfields and The McCoys".)
Also Ranger #5 does not wear a cowboy hat in the manga, The manga version also starts with Dr. Elefun already captured by the moon monsters.

In the Mighty Atom Club issues only the first two pages of each part is in color, while the rest is in black & white.

So there you have it one of the most popular episodes in manga form adapted from the anime.--Astrobuddy
I :heart: :astro: :) ;"Go, Go, Go!";"Catch the Future!"

P.S. here is a link to a sort of sequel to the episode, "The Moon Monsters:
http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/v ... el#p161706

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Also missing from the manga version is the Atom/Astro boy Junior Squadron Ranger training scenes.
The Haruko/Luna Moona. subplot is still there, but in a truncated form.
Still the artwork is pretty good. I don't know which of Dr. Tezuka's many assistants handled these chapters, but I feel he has captured the Astro Boy of this period very well.--Astrobuddy

jeffbert
Minister of Science

#7 is 宮本武蔵 Miyamoto Musashi & #5 is 佐々木小次郎 Sasaki Kojiro; named after actual Samurai who fought each other to the death. Also, they are friends in "The Film Lives" manga, in which they are young animators. The latter is one of Tezuka's regular stars, the former no so well-known, though.

Oh, and Nylon is one of the # in the original Manga #7.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Thank you for the info Jeffbert, although I did touch on the Miyamoto & Sasaki names in a previous post about the first Astro Boy movie:
http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/v ... ce#p246205

One question what is "The Film Lives" manga?--Astrobuddy

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”