New Interviews with Patty Whitely and Jay Rath

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Dizrythmia
Kokoro Robot

New Interviews with Patty Whitely and Jay Rath

Postby Dizrythmia » 2 years ago

Hey all,

In the process of putting together my 80s Astroboy documentary, I have processed a couple of interviews and published them in Gametraders Magazine.

It can be found by following the following link: https://issuu.com/gametraders/docs/nove ... 1_magazine

This issue contains new interviews with Jay Rath and Patricia Kugler Whitely.

As for the documentary... there is a LOT to get through, and a lot I am working on with members of the cast. Don't expect it any time in the near future, but I am hoping it is satisfying for fans when it is released.

Bluebell1995
Kokoro Robot

Re: New Interviews with Patty Whitely and Jay Rath

Postby Bluebell1995 » 2 years ago

Fascinating! On which pages of the magazine can the interview be found?

Dizrythmia
Kokoro Robot

Odd question, as there is a contents page at the front of the magazine, but you can find them on pages 8 and 28.

Bluebell1995
Kokoro Robot

Postby Bluebell1995 » 2 years ago

Dizrythmia wrote:Odd question, as there is a contents page at the front of the magazine, but you can find them on pages 8 and 28.

At times, I am absent-minded and will fail to spot something right in front of me. Most likely I scanned the page too quickly, didn't see what I was looking for, and gave up on the spot. So thanks for pointing it out! :)

Dizrythmia
Kokoro Robot

Bluebell1995 wrote:At times, I am absent-minded and will fail to spot something right in front of me. Most likely I scanned the page too quickly, didn't see what I was looking for, and gave up on the spot. So thanks for pointing it out! :)

No problem Hope you enjoy them.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 2 years ago

Great interviews!

What was the "pilot episode" that Jay and Patricia talked about? Was it just the uncut episode 1?

Jay did such a great job with Skunk's voice. Skunk is such a villain in a slimy way, with his green skin and unwashed-looking hair. When I remember his voice it's always the line from the start of The Light-Ray Robot, where he's just seen the demonstration of Light-Ray's invisibility and he says "Hmmmm, the Light-Ray Robot, hmhmhmhm he he he he" and it so perfectly captures his scheming ways. :lol:

The start of the interview says Astroboy debuted in Australia on Dec 23rd 1983. Is that correct? I was sure it first screened in the second half of 1982 (I want to say July?) because when it first came on and the title card said "(C)1982 Nippon Television" my brother and I looked at each other in shock. We were so used to repeats of Scooby Doo and Looney Tunes that it was wild to see something made in the current year. When I was working on my old web site it crossed my mind to go to the state library to ask for the 1982 TV guide to be pulled from the microfiche but I never got around to it.

Dizrythmia
Kokoro Robot

DrFrag wrote:Great interviews!

What was the "pilot episode" that Jay and Patricia talked about? Was it just the uncut episode 1?

Jay did such a great job with Skunk's voice. Skunk is such a villain in a slimy way, with his green skin and unwashed-looking hair. When I remember his voice it's always the line from the start of The Light-Ray Robot, where he's just seen the demonstration of Light-Ray's invisibility and he says "Hmmmm, the Light-Ray Robot, hmhmhmhm he he he he" and it so perfectly captures his scheming ways. :lol:

The start of the interview says Astroboy debuted in Australia on Dec 23rd 1983. Is that correct? I was sure it first screened in the second half of 1982 (I want to say July?) because when it first came on and the title card said "(C)1982 Nippon Television" my brother and I looked at each other in shock. We were so used to repeats of Scooby Doo and Looney Tunes that it was wild to see something made in the current year. When I was working on my old web site it crossed my mind to go to the state library to ask for the 1982 TV guide to be pulled from the microfiche but I never got around to it.

The pilot episode is something I'm trying to figure out with them. There's a bit of confusion over what happened in December 1980. That's why that part was so vague. Patty has her specific memories, but I need to confirm them with Jay. No other actors seem to remember, but there's one more actor I need to ask, as well as Del and Carl.

According to the Australian ABC archives, that is the first time Astroboy aired in Australia in colour. I am still waiting for more information from them about the show, and I have been for over 6 months now. I've paid for specific documents that relate to the show's airing, and normally there would be a 30 day turnaround from payment to me receiving the documents. Unfortunately, the COVID situation in Sydney (where those particular documents are located) has caused a few issues.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”