The 2009 Astro Boy movie is 10 years old

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Shiyonasan
Administrator

The 2009 Astro Boy movie is 10 years old

Postby Shiyonasan » 4 years ago

One of the biggest Astro Boy releases, and one that caused a resurgence in the Astro Boy fandom at it's time, is officially a decade old.

According to IMDB, the 2009 computer animated Astro Boy movie premiered in Tokyo on October 5, 2009 before being released around the world in several countries over the next 11 months:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375568/releaseinfo

It was the final feature length film produced by Imagi Animation Studios before the company shut down on February 5, 2010.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Re: The 2009 Astro Boy movie is 10 years old

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 4 years ago

I remember seeing the trailer for that movie in the theater. At the time I hadn't thought of Astro Boy since the mid 60's. That was quite a jolt to the memory, and soon after that I discovered both the 1980 and 2003 animes on Hulu, I didn't even know that they existed! I also discovered this site, though I didn't join the forums till a little later. I also later discovered the Fan Fiction site and eventually created my first original Astro story, which was almost novel length. Strangely, I never did see the movie in the theater, I first saw it when it came out on DVD.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Genshi-san
Metro City Citizen

Postby Genshi-san » 4 years ago

the film caused me to be ashamed somewhat of my love for tezuka's works, as ifelt the film totaly Ruined atom's first us theatrical debute

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 4 years ago

I admit that there were parts that I liked. Yet, overall, I was disappointed. I did enjoy Hamegg, he retained his lowlife scoundrel image / persona. I think it was no more Tetsuwan Atomu than the unlicensed american Comic books were, though even those have some good things about them. :astro:

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 4 years ago

That's exactly that: it was something rather generic (not really bad but not good either), with Astro slapped on it. I remember having some kind of "suspension of disbelief" when seeing Astro's blueprints, as if they had nothing to do there. Oh yes, it IS a movie about Astro Boy :-D
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

BigFox8
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby BigFox8 » 4 years ago

It's official! Now it has been 10 years ago on this day it was released! :astro:
:astro: On YouTube, I am CodeLyokoFan2002. Astro Boy is the cutest robot in town! :astro:

AstroAllies
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby AstroAllies » 4 years ago

I like Astro's appearance in the movie. The story, in my opinion, is not bad but could have been better.

JumpDog
Kokoro Robot

Postby JumpDog » 4 years ago

Ironically it seems Imagi Entertainment shut down on the same day the film was released here in the UK (where it actually performed a little better than it did in the US)

BigFox8
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby BigFox8 » 4 years ago

JumpDog wrote:Ironically it seems Imagi Entertainment shut down on the same day the film was released here in the UK (where it actually performed a little better than it did in the US)

Yeah. It's a bit weird. Also, I'm from the UK too!!!
:astro: On YouTube, I am CodeLyokoFan2002. Astro Boy is the cutest robot in town! :astro:

JumpDog
Kokoro Robot

Postby JumpDog » 4 years ago

Cool :)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”