All about the Mighty Atom Club Magazines (1964-66)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Re: All about the Mighty Atom Club Magazines (1964-66)

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 3 years ago

I just received from Japan a Japanese manga I bought titled "Mushi Pro Mini Manga" from 1966 which features reprints from the Mighty Atom Club magazine. In this the first issue (I believe there were three issues put out), there is a full color reprint of all three chapters of the "Earth Defense Squadron/The Moon Monsters" manga adaptation, as well as reprints of three other manga episodes. (They are: "Bad Guy Robots"; "The Time Machine"; and "The Lying Robot." All pages are in full color.) The only problem is when they said "mini" manga they meant minuscule as the item is 52 X 75mm which converts to about 2 inches by 3 inches. Still an interesting purchase for the old collection.

Now to the above index that JeffBert has posted. Yes we now know that "Jungle Mystery" is in three chapters in the 12/64; 1/65 & 2/65 issues of "Mighty Atom Club" magazine.

The 3/65; 4/65 & 5/65 issues feature the three part "Earth Defense Squadron/The Moon Monsters" manga adaptation.
The 6/65; 7/65; 8/65; & 9/65 issues feature the four part manga story, "Atom's Been Stolen".

It has not yet been established if the 10/65 & 11/65 issues have an Astro Boy manga story.

12/65 & 1/66 feature "Broadcasts from Outer Space".
2/66 & 3/66 feature "The Face on the Cliff".

Then the 4/66 & 5/66 issues feature the two part manga story "Ti-Tan(ium)"/(Chi-tan)
And we now know that the 6/66 & 7/66 issues featured "The Robot Fortress/Mystery of the Amless Dam" two part episode.

Thanks to BrutalDawnFawn we now know that the 8/66 issue featured "The Dolphin Civilization/Dolphins in Distress" episode and
the 9/66 & 10/66 issues featured a two part adaptation of "Cobalt goes Crazy/Demented Cobalt."

I have been unable to determine which episode was published in the 11/66 issue from that one page you posted BrutalDawnFawn, but maybe some one else might!--Astrobuddy
I :heart: :astro: :) "Go, Go, Go!"; Catch the future!
Attachments
atom image (2).jpg
atom image (2).jpg (64.36 KiB) Viewed 3402 times

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 3 years ago

11/1965: p2 of BOY FROM OUTER SPACE.

I have 12 issues of 1965, 11/1964 ^ 06/1966.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

So, I just now finished the dialog for #7 part one, which appears in the 03/1965 issue. Of much greater interest to me, are the pages about Atom, his 7 powers and additional features. I started there, several days ago. After those pages are a few on the recurring characters.

There is even a floor plan of Atom's house! See the last page, if you can help identify kanji!

Even more goodies include a clock indicating Atom's daily schedule. Reminds me of the Fisher-Price clock my younger brother had! Up at 7AM, to bed 10PM.

Then, there is a section on adversaries. Starts with pluto, and has some 12 more.

But, there is a different issue that features 7 robot adversaries, & even has a cut-away view of Pluto. I probably already mentioned some of this, but, too bad!

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Thank you Jeffbert for providing the info that there is a manga story in the 11/65 issue of Mighty Atom Club: "The Boy from Outer Space/The Mighty Mite from Ursa Minor".
Now would you please be able to possibly to tell us if there is a manga story in the 10/65 issue.

Also would you be so kind to see if you can recognize what episode the page below is from:
November-1966-astro-comic.jpg
November-1966-astro-comic.jpg (197.16 KiB) Viewed 3386 times

Oh, BTW I also have a copy of the 3/65 issue and I agree with you and thank you for reporting on the information in the issue.
(I also own three issues: 3/65; 5/65 & 11/64.)

Again Thank you for providing the info.--Astrobuddy
I :heart: :astro: :) ; "Go, Go, Go!"; "Catch the Future!"

jeffbert
Minister of Science

jeffbert wrote:nov. 1964: time machine; Pura little elephant as narrative not manga

May: Earth Defense (#7), conclusion
June: Ab stolen, beginning :cry: calendar sheet missing!
July, Ab stolen
Aug: Atom stolen
Sept. assuming Atom stolen, conclusion
October: Boy from space
November 1965 has the boy from space :astro:
December 1965 has space broadcasts

EDIT:
Unless I overlooked something, none of the Club stories are on the 7 UNITS of Atom original versions.

I will need to translate some of the dialog in that page to give me an idea of what is going on. The scientist's name is Garon.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Thank you Jeffbert! I also was able to translate the name of the scientist as Garon, but I was unable to find which anime episode he is in with Atom as i presume that the issue contained another adaptation of an anime episode.

I believe the Mighty Atom Club episodes were reprinted in six volumes of Mighty Atom Club editions as seen below:

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/det ... st&lang=en

(These were sold out and I have been unable to get any other info on them, except that they were probably issued as part of or in addition to the box sets of manga reprints of the original Kobunsha Mighty Atom manga and they were released between 9/17/2009-12/24/2010.)--Astobuddy
I :heart: :astro: :) ; "Go, Go, Go!"; "Catch the Future!"

jeffbert
Minister of Science

59:
Atom:
ガロン博士ですねこれエリナさんからあずかってきました
Garon hakasedesu ne kore Erina-san kara azukatte kimashita
Dr. Gallon, this is from Elina-san

Garon: eh

60:
おおっこれはすばらしい原子力制御装置じゃないか!
O okkore wa subarashī genshiryoku seigyo sōchi janai ka!
Oh, this is a great nuclear controller!

61:
laughs
これでわしの研究もきっと成功だぞっ

61: Laughs kore de washi no kenkyū mo kitto seikōda zo ~tsu
61:
laughs
I'm sure my research will be successful with this.

---

I could not find any Dr. Garon among my collection of characters. No Erina or Elina either.

I have no idea what episode. Sorry. Which volume was this?

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Thank you Jeffbert! Yes I could find no connection to any of the 1960s 193 episodes (as much as I could fathom) either.
This was in the 11/1966 issue which was the last issue of "Mighty Atom Club" magazine.

But I just have to say finding out about what is basically new information of what was not known any where else re: Astro Boy--original Japanese manga is great.--Astrobuddy
I :heart: :astro: :) ; "Go, Go, Go!"; Catch the Future!"

jeffbert
Minister of Science

As for myself, I find the 1965 view of the 21st century interesting. There is a continual -er several volumes feature on it. The May 1965 issue had the 9th installment. This one was about the space police / patrol.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Now working on the W3 feature on 06/1965's 30 & 31.

already finished the 1st part of Atom stolen. Has anybody compared it to the DH version? It is in vol. 10.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”