All about the Mighty Atom Club Magazines (1964-66)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Re: All about the Mighty Atom Club Magazines (1964-66)

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 3 years ago

Al right! I just want to put this out there!
Since Dr. Tezuka did not draw any of the manga stories in the "Mighty Atom Club" magazine according to what is said in the introductory pages in vol. #17; because of the manga artists who later became famous and drew stories that were published in MAC, he was probably asked by one of his editors or the idea came from him to include a few of these stories for republication in the Mighty Atom reprint series. The ones that were not chosen: possible reasons for exclusion could be something as simple as space. For example most of the stories chosen were one shots with just two exceptions. The others may not have been chosen because they ran too many chapters after the two that were chosen. Space might have been a major factor as shown by the fact that he cut his own serial "Atom Returns" to berepublished in part only.

While some of these stories are only now coming to light for English speaking Astro Boy enthusuasts, they were reprinted in collected form and reprinted in what was called, "Mushi Prod. Mini-Manga" which reprinted in full color episodes that had appeared in MAC magazine.

atom image #a (2).jpg
atom image #a (2).jpg (61.42 KiB) Viewed 13068 times
atom image #b.jpg
atom image #b.jpg (58.77 KiB) Viewed 13068 times

In the first issue (the cover is the same as the 3/65 MAC issue w/ Astro Boy & Astro Girl on the cover) "Earth Defense Squadron" is reprinted in full & in color.
EARTH DEFENSE SQUADRON manga #1a.jpg
EARTH DEFENSE SQUADRON manga #1a.jpg (162.9 KiB) Viewed 13068 times

In issue # 3 ( the one with Astro boy and the tiger & Astro Girl) "Jungle Kingdom" is reprinted in full and in color.
JUNGLE MYSTERY #2.jpg
JUNGLE MYSTERY #2.jpg (88.52 KiB) Viewed 13068 times

Unfortunately I only know that also in issue #1 the following are reprinted: "Bad-Guy Robots"; "The Time Machine" and "The Brain Swap" as that issue was the only one of the three mini-manga I was fortunate enough to purchase. --Astrobuddy

I :heart: :astro: :) ; Go, Go, Go!"; "Catch the Future!"

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 3 years ago

Tezuka signed the ones that he drew, as did the others.

A funny thing about Space Broadcasts, Its 1st page says MIGHTY ATOM, but the characters are from Jungle Emperor. This is about the 1/2 way point in the version reprinted in DH vol. 12, except that this page itself was excluded It should have been between 209 & 210.. I have the Kappa collection, so I know it is in that version. In Kappa, content borrowed from the animated version was appended to the beginning of the story. All those pages were in the DH.

BrutalDawnFawn
Kokoro Robot

Postby BrutalDawnFawn » 3 years ago

New Issues in stock!

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/lis ... 96&lang=en

I haven't had any luck on Yahoo Japan Auctions as none may shown up this past month. But a store front on mandarake just posted some new stock.

11/1964 - 2/1965
Not sure what's in Nov. 1964 but the full Jungle Devil Boundary story is in issues' 12/1964 - 2/1965

5-1966 Chi-Tan Part 2

8/1966 - Dolphins in Distress
9/1965-10/1965 - Demented Cobalt

Also I've got a question, would posting fan translations here not be permitted? I've scanned, got a translation commissioned for Chi-Tan and Robot Fortress. Currently in progress to get a commission for Demented Cobalt and Dolphins in Distress as well. They're not JP RAWS but would posting a link not be allowed?

Btw, those Mini-mangas look like a cool item to have. :D You're very lucky to find that

jeffbert
Minister of Science

tHANKS FOR the heads-up! I just ordered 1964-12, 1966-05, 08, 09, & 10! :lol:

BrutalDawnFawn
Kokoro Robot

jeffbert wrote:tHANKS FOR the heads-up! I just ordered 1964-12, 1966-05, 08, 09, & 10! :lol:

You’re welcome! Coolio :D

BrutalDawnFawn
Kokoro Robot

November 1966 - I acquired this issue recently from the big restock on mandarake.
It has the last astro comic in it and now I can show some pages to see if it can be identified or if its completely original. I'll commission a translation of it either way anyway.

Here the first two pages:
The side bar translates to (google translate):
"A mysterious robot girl is targeting good, strong robots one after another?! Atom who was challenged to a fight is in trouble!"
Maybe jeffbert or Astrobuddy might recognize it or it could be completely new.
Plus, with the last page, it simply says, "END" instead of "end of story". As this was the last issue, it leaves on a sad note with the shot of Atom walking away in the distance

Lastly, This issue came with a separate folded page with a letter explaining the end of the Friends of Mighty Atom Club and the end of the magazine :(
While I can't read it, the nice picture of Astro and company makes it feel sentimental

jeffbert
Minister of Science

SAYS,

Source text
虫プロダクション友の会の会員のみなさまへ
虫プロダクション友の会
Mushi purodakushon tomonokai no kaiin no minasama e mushi purodakushon tomonokai

To all members of Mushi Production Tomo no Kai
Mushi Production Tomo no Kai

Tomo no Kai = association; club; fan club; supporter's association

THE MARGIN TEXT, I think I already did this, but anyway:

★すばらしい未来を作るために戦うアトムの活躍を、 これからもテレビで見てね!
★ Subarashī mirai o tsukuru tame ni tatakau atomu no katsuyaku o, korekara mo terebi de mite ne!

★ Keep watching Atom fighting to create a wonderful future on TV!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Oh, about the two pages:

1st: the #1 panel lacks Tezuka's signature; so, he did not draw that one.

bottom margin page 1:
原作・手塚治虫/制作・虫プロダクション/まんが・大野ゆたか

Gensaku tedzuka osamu/ seisaku-chū purodakushon/ manga Ōno Yutaka

Original / Osamu Tezuka / Production / Mushi Production / Manga / Yutaka Ono

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

I feel I need to post all the covers of "Mighty Atom Club" magazine like I did 8 years ago this month, but now with information we now have from BrutalDawnFawn, Jeffbert and myself re: issues that were thought to contain no "Mighty Atom" manga because they were not listed in any of the manga guides. When I first posted the covers the late AprilSeven felt they were a Christmas present! In her memory I would like to post them again with updated info!

MIGHTY ATOM CLUB# 1.jpg
MIGHTY ATOM CLUB# 1.jpg (62.31 KiB) Viewed 12950 times

In the first issue (8/64) the manga story, "Bad-Guy Robots" is featured!
Issue #2 (9/64) features, "The Lying Robot"!

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

MIGHTY ATOM CLUB# 2.jpg
MIGHTY ATOM CLUB# 2.jpg (52.35 KiB) Viewed 12950 times

10/64 issue features, "Brain Swap"!
11/64 issue features "The Time Machine"!
12/64 & 1/65 feature Part One & Part Two of the manga story known as "Jungle Kingdom" (aka "Jungle Mystery")

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”