Atom's briefs/ Uran the impostor

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 17 years ago

"Atoman" wrote:Hey all, I love that episode. It's alot like the 1st Twilight Zone episode about an astronaut who finds himself all alone in a town without anybody.
Astro finds himself all alone in Tokyo and can't remember anything about why. Then he's later attacked by that tentacle monster. I think the manga Jeffbert mentioned "The Space Bug" is the same story minus the embarassing stuff. It's a good read. :astro:

About the TZ, wasn't that the series pilot?

Colt
Kokoro Robot

Question

Postby Colt » 13 years ago

Hey, those pics are so funny! Where can i find them in the manga or which episode? i havne't been able to find that scene so far. Care to help me please? :D

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 13 years ago

Do you mean these?
"jeffbert" wrote:Here are some pics of Atom's pants. I was really surprised to see the fourth one. Anything for a laugh, even if it goes against the well-established concept of Atom being as naked as he can be while 'wearing' his 'costume'. :D

Here are two scenes from "Astroboy goes to school", with him showering in the full costume,

and fully costumed merrily running from the shower, towel in hand.

Astro Boy 30th Anniversary Series Vol. 3

Here Dr. Boynton/Tenma is applying his body stocking skin.

Here Atom is losing his brief, which we were formerly persuaded would have left his shiny metal ass showing.*
* Appologies to Bender for using his line.

I would have thought that the waistband was attached to the brief, but what do I know. I guess it was made by a non-union sweatshop. :D

Uran wants to be the hero, and using a non-existent pair of Atom's pants, prepares to duke it out with Bruton/Pluto:
Astro Boy (1980) Vol. 9

Quite a nice fit, considering she is three to four sizes of children's clothing smaller than Atom. :D
So, it appears that when humor is at stake, rules are made to be broken.

See Technical difficulties/impossibilities of Atom.

The top two are identified; they are on the #2 boxed set (ASTRO BOY); THE 3RD ONE IS FROM THE 1980S boxed set, The bare bottomed image comes from an episode that was not among the English translated ones; but I made a thread full of pics: 122 Monster Mantler. The color images may also be found in 1980S SCREENSHOTS, BUT YOU MUST look through about 100 pages, Colt.

BTW, welcome to the forum, Colt. :astro:

AprilSeven
Silent Song

I Think Dr. Tezuka Kept Astro a Continuous "work in progress"

Postby AprilSeven » 13 years ago

Looking over all the many, many inconsistencies throughout the Astro Boy universe, you can easily conclude that Astro's briefs were BOTH painted on, stretched on (as part of his skin) and also that they were removable.

It seems like Tezuka enjoyed making the story he was currently working on as entertaining as possible - so if showing Uran go into Astro’s chest of drawers and swipe one of his super-hero speedos, so be it!

Astro’s origins, name, life/death, parents/guardians and friends have changed so much over the decades, it seems Tezuka didn’t mind playing with Astro’s “realities.” I also think that’s what makes reading his fan fiction so much fun -- Tezuka kept evolving him, so we can too!

What IS interesting is that all the other robots (except Cobalt) in Astro’s family DON’T have painted on clothes.

Hey, Tezuka was a GUY -- he wasn’t sweating details over things like FASHION! :p
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

cybotron
Robot Revolutionary

Postby cybotron » 13 years ago

The depths of controversy! The earth shattering controversy of Astro's panties! :lol: :lol: :lol:
[sigpic]http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=200&dateline=1323970671[/sigpic]Safe :ninja:

Androids101
Cosmic Ranger

Postby Androids101 » 13 years ago

Haha :lol: :lol: :lol: yeah

And often the properties of Astro's 'clothes' are changed in order to suit the story or scenario that he's in. Tezuka certainly didn't mind changing it around.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 13 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:Here are some pics of Atom's pants. I was really surprised to see the fourth one. Anything for a laugh, even if it goes against the well-established concept of Atom being as naked as he can be while 'wearing' his 'costume'. :D

Here are two scenes from "Astroboy goes to school", with him showering in the full costume,

and fully costumed merrily running from the shower, towel in hand.

Astro Boy 30th Anniversary Series Vol. 3

Here Dr. Boynton/Tenma is applying his body stocking skin.

Here Atom is losing his brief, which we were formerly persuaded would have left his shiny metal ass showing.*
* Appologies to Bender for using his line.

I would have thought that the waistband was attached to the brief, but what do I know. I guess it was made by a non-union sweatshop. :D

Uran wants to be the hero, and using a non-existent pair of Atom's pants, prepares to duke it out with Bruton/Pluto:
Astro Boy (1980) Vol. 9

Quite a nice fit, considering she is three to four sizes of children's clothing smaller than Atom. :D
So, it appears that when humor is at stake, rules are made to be broken.

See Technical difficulties/impossibilities of Atom.

that's actually a TV Trope http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfFunny XD

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 13 years ago

What is "actually a TV Trope http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfFunny," Dragonrider1227.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 13 years ago

Tezuka breaking consistency with his characters/stories in order to deliver humor. Never heard of that expression either, but the description fits it perfectly!
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 13 years ago

The website describes tropes as;
devices and conventions that a writer can reasonably rely on as being present in the audience members' minds and expectations. On the whole, tropes are not clichés. The word clichéd means "stereotyped and trite." In other words, dull and uninteresting. We are not looking for dull and uninteresting entries. We are here to recognize tropes and play with them, not to make fun of them.

This particular trope is that consistency and logic can be tossed out the window if it means getting something really funny out of it that one time. It's something that occurs a lot in cartoons and movies. Like in Who framed Roger Rabbit.
"You mean you could've taken your hand out of those cuffs at any time?"
"No, not any time. Only when it was funny!"

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”