How did you discover Astro Boy?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
astro cutie:3
Rocket Ball Champion
Location: Death Weapon Meister Academy (DWMA) with Death the kid and soul

Postby astro cutie:3 » 13 years ago

"Gotta Love ASTRO BOY" wrote:Lucky :D you got to see the 03 series when it was new. I am very jelous of the people who did. :)

at first i was like what then i was like awesome :lol:
[sigpic][/sigpic]
Ciel Phantomhive

JK2946
Kokoro Robot

Postby JK2946 » 12 years ago

Well for me. I was walking past my living room tv going to my room and i caught a glimpse of the 2009 movie trailer. I walked back and watched the rest of it. Never saw another trailer of it on tv after that. Then a couple of weeks later i looked up the trailers on youtube. and i was "addicted" to him i guess you could say. I watched all of the clips on youtube and i tried to watch it when it came out in theaters but i couldnt. So i waited till like march 2010 i think thats when it came out on DVD and i bought it on Itunes the second it was released. Then i discovered that there were cartoons. I stumbled onto the 1980's and i was like ,man i cant get past that voice. It was to wimpy. So i looked some more and i found the 2003 whole series on crackle and i watched every episode. I only watched like 20 1980s series. Then crackle made the series unable to be watched where i am. So i bought every one on itunes. Looking back ,i think today... If i never saw the last 20 seconds of that commercial. i would have never found astro boy

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 12 years ago

I first discovered Astro Boy back when the 2003 anime aired on Toonami in 2004. It did nothing to spark interest in me for the series at the time. To be honest, I thought it was actually pretty boring after seeing about 3 or 4 episodes of it. I still remember thinking at the time, "Why is he only wearing underwear?" :lol:

It wasn't until February of this year that I gained interest in Astro Boy. I gained interest in Astro Boy after watching Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and seeing Scott Pilgrim wear the red shirt with Atom on it in the movie. Strange how such a minor thing like that triggered my fandom for this series...

jmb2891
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby jmb2891 » 12 years ago

One day this past June I was channel surfing and stumbled upon the movie playing on Starz. I liked what little of it I saw enough to look for it on On Demand, and loved it. I looked up the '03 series and liked it, too, then the 80's series. Been hooked since.
"Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free."
-Jim Morrison

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you, too, can become great."
-Mark Twain

Please check out:
My YouTube Channel
My Ultimate-Guitar Profile

Bigdog
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Bigdog » 12 years ago

I first knew of it from my dad who was into Astro Boy and Speed Racer, but my first experience turned me off. It was the 2003 series. Whoever did that made it unintentionally hilarious and more like a MST3K show ,especially how they neutered the entire story , but the video game demo I played was pretty cool but still I was not impressed because the character design alone made me want to laugh ( And trust me, I can't even take some American superheroes seriously because of said funny fashion attire. ) and I tuned out of it for the rest of it's run. However , I loved Cyborg 009 and the comic adaptation of Masked Rider, not even putting two and two together until 3-4 years later when I watched Metropolis and then discovered the 80's series. When I found out Ishinomori worked under Tezuka , I gained even more respect for the man.

When I first read the Astro manga, it pretty much got me set in understanding why he dressed the way he did and I have been a fan of Tezuka's works for so long now and it doesn't bother me like the ridiculous looks of superheroes in the States. By the time I read Scott Pilgrim , I geeked out on his shirt .What also got me interested was the 2009 reboot film, but it was so messed up but at least it looked kinda like Astro Boy unlike Dragonball Evolution or the Last Airbender.

Astroboy599
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Astroboy599 » 12 years ago

I watch him in kindergarden and when I saw the first episode I knew I would love it (2003 series)

the 鉄腕アトム fan
Beyond the Stars

Postby the 鉄腕アトム fan » 12 years ago

"Astroboy599" wrote:I watch him in kindergarden and when I saw the first episode I knew I would love it (2003 series)

awesome! you got to watch it when it was aired, WELCOME TO THE FORUM Astroboybot599

i did, but i was very young, i remember watching an episode with my older brother, but don't hate me when i say this, i remember saying to him (my older brother), 'why do you like AstroBoy, it's rubbish'... you know, stuff like that :p
Last edited by the 鉄腕アトム fan on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: opps forgot a welocme
Go Go Go Assstttttttttrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooo Boooooooooooooooooy :astro:

Astroboy599
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Astroboy599 » 12 years ago

I don't hate you for that, in fact my brother never liked the show in till this year, reason being was because I bought some of the series on my ipod

the 鉄腕アトム fan
Beyond the Stars

Postby the 鉄腕アトム fan » 12 years ago

@Astroboy599, IPod touch? i got one, i watch AstroBoy on YouTube :p , im glad you don't hate me :lol: :astro:
Last edited by the 鉄腕アトム fan on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Go Go Assstttttttttrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooo Boooooooooooooooooy :astro:

Bender the Sniper
Metro City Citizen

Postby Bender the Sniper » 12 years ago

I first discovered Astro by accident in some magazine (forgot what it was called) and on Manga's Astro site, both in 2004.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
ATLAS - The #1 threat to Japan.

I'll be back.

Avatar painted by Bryan Lee O'Malley.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”