What's your favoutire Astroboy series?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
MightyAstro
Robot President

Postby MightyAstro » 15 years ago

I grew up with the 1980's version. So as far as I'm concerned that will always be the "official" Astroboy series.
I never saw the others until I bought the DVDs. The 1960's version is literally a big joke. By that I mean it's very silly, albeit enjoyably silly, with many weird visual gags thrown in. The 1980's version is much more serious by comparison, though it does have occasional similar style gags thrown into it.
Plus there isn't a very strong sense of continuity in the 60's series. That's another reason why I favour the 80's.

MightyAstro
Robot President

As for the 2000's version, it is cool when viewed upon its own merit. Some of the story material is taken from the other versions, but most of it appears to be more new, original stories.
1980's is by far better in terms of exciting action, Astro remarkably gets by only talking to his enemies rather than fighting in this new series. How he can avoid being blasted to pieces I don't know. But then anything can happen in animation even if it isn't altogether logical. ;)

One thing that does make this new series unique is that it's almost like a serial, with a continously running storyline behind all the individual episodes throughout. I have to admit I really do love the way Dr. Tenma's character is used for it. :tenma:
Last edited by MightyAstro on Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legeremain99
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Legeremain99 » 15 years ago

:blush: Hmmm...I guess I must've missed this thread somehow. :D My favorite Astro Boy Series has to be the 60's Series, since it is in fact the one I grew up watching. I actually didn't know the other two existed until a little over a year ago. I now own all three DVD sets and love each and everyone of them. They're all great in my book. My only complaint is that I wished they'd done the 2003 Series Uncut and used the Original Japanese Theme Songs on the English Dub DVDs. :)

-Legeremain99 :) :astro:

Innocent_Eyes
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Innocent_Eyes » 15 years ago

It's kinda a tie for me because I grew up with the 80's series, but I've also been following the '03 series since '04.

MightyAstro
Robot President

"MightyAstro" wrote:
One thing that does make this new series unique is that it's almost like a serial, with a continously running storyline behind all the individual episodes throughout. I have to admit I really do love the way Dr. Tenma's character is used for it. :tenma:

I suppose the 1980's also sort of has a continuing story plot in the character of Atlas. But the running storyline of Tenma wanting to get Astro to lead the robot revolution is much stronger in my opinion.

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 15 years ago

"Legeremain99" wrote: :blush: Hmmm...I guess I must've missed this thread somehow. :D

Since this thread was created 4 years ago and you joined only this year, I'm not surprised you missed it until now :D
...wait! does it mean you didn't read ALL the posts since the creation of this forum? What a shame... :d evil:
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

MightyAstro
Robot President

Never mind Legeremain99. Nobody's perfect. :)

Of course I sure come pretty close. ;) LOL

Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Hikari Tail » 15 years ago

Astro boy 2003
by a long shot
+
1: better animation
2: charachters are far deeper then the older versions
3: filler episodes are cute most of the times
4: new designs for many characters was done perfectly
5: far better music
6: great voices in both Dub and Sun
7: the robot laws in the future is done perfectly and a important theme like in the manga
8: Tenma and Ochamazu both being a father role to Astro was a nice ad
9: removal of the father and mother characters sorry Tezuka but i felt they were not fitted in the story
10: Dr Tenma
-
1: filler episodes are very dull

Astro boy 1960
1: shows a lot of stuff what would have being deleted
2: humor is fun!

-
1: weird humor sometimes
2: baby Astro was a bit to much
3: nudity was a tide weird!

Astroboy 1980
1: nice theme song
2: Uran gets a chance to shine
3: stays true to Tezuka

-
1: crappy dub
2: no dept in characters
3: the same rights for Robots-theme and poltics is less in this version then the 2003 one
4: no dr Tenma :<
Last edited by Hikari Tail on Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like art? like water coloring? like pointless rants ?
http://hikaritail.deviantart.com/
Visit my DA account!

jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby jayrath » 15 years ago

Hey, we slaved over the 1980 dub. For almost a year the cast and crew often worked into the night -- and I mean midnight. You want to work six days a week, putting in 12 hour days, acting? And then the engineers worked for months afterward matching tape to film.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 15 years ago

"Hikari Tail" wrote:1: crappy dub
2: no dept in characters
3: the same rights for Robots-theme and poltics is less in this version then the 2003 one

Demmit, Hikari! Don't rip on the 80's dub when Jay Rath is around!

yes this is the face I made

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”