Astroboy Christmas Episode now available

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

Originally posted by Atoman@Dec 16 2004, 09:13 PM
Hi friends,

Last night I watched another Astro Christmas episode. This one was from the 80's and it was called The Light Ray Robot in English, but it's the Denku story. Ok this is a spoiler so please don't read this if you haven't seen it yet.

For the rest of you: This 80's version of Denku is much like the 60's anime and the original manga except for the fact that it takes place on Christmas eve and it's in color.
The story starts out light hearted and has that magic Christmas spirit in it like the 60's robot house episode. The best part is when Denku visits Astro's house and they make friends and Astro decides to take Denku under his wing and show him right from wrong.
Astro takes Denku downtown on Xmas eve and shows him the Xmas spirit and how to help people. It's a very heartwarming scene and it's funny seeing invisible Denku with a hat and trenchcoat, but no pants, sitting on Astro's shoulders so Astro's legs look like his and then seeing Astro's head pop out from under the trenchcoat. :lol:

Astro is really high on life at this point. This is one episode before Uran the Tomboy, so this is the first really close robot friend Astro's met and there're like brothers. Astro then invites Denku to come to his Xmas party at his house that night and later he shows up.
You see Astro and his friends Tamo and I think maybe Kenichi and or Shib/Alvin sitting together laughing and smilling, real warm Xmas spirit. Then Astro looks up and notices Denku come in. Astro jumps up and greets him at the door welcomes him and gives him a party hat to wear so they can see him. This is such a happy scene. I loved it. :P

Then it turned dark. Astro's teacher Daddy Walrus showed up dressed as Santa and spray painted Denku's legs red and that scared him away. He did look funny though, like a pair of red stockings running by themselves. :lol: Astro was angry and he told his teacher off, saying something like "You've ruined everything! I had just convinced him to stay at my party and you scared him away." Thats right Astro, you tell him off. After all his teacher told him off twice before in the episode calling Astro a fool. So now it's Astro's turn to tell him off. :lol:

Denku runs back to Skunk's hideout and Skunk gives him a time bomb, but doesn't tell him it's a bomb. After Astro beats up Skunk and arrests him he goes to try to save Denku, but he's too late :o NOOOOO! My heart broke. I had hoped that since it was an Xmas ep. that denku would live, but no. :( Astro fell to his knees near Denku's remains and cried. That was the first time I've seen him cry in the 80's series. First his eyes watered and he started trembleing, then he hung his head and weeped. :cry: Aww. Ochanomizu/Elefun comforted him saying something like "There There, don't cry Astro."
Then Astro said "Sniff, I just wanted to talk with him some more. Sniff, He was my friend, Whimper" :cry: :cry: :cry: Ohh my God, that's too sad, especially in a Xmas episode. I don't think I can watch that again. Can you imagine how sad Astro must have felt on Xmas morning, still mourning Denku's loss. No wonder in the next episode Dr. Elefun gave Astro his sister Uran as a New Years present. Now Astro had a new robot friend that he was evan closer to. :lol: Dr. Elefun's awesome! What a perfect present.
I prefer the 2003 version of Denku. Finally they give the poor little guy a break and let him live. YAAAA! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great post, even though I've just read it now for the first time more than a year later! :lol: I think your summary moved me more than the episode itself. :cry:

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 18 years ago

Thanks for quoting me, I'm honored. Great, but sad episode. I prefer the 60's robot house episode the best. Much more fitting for Christmas. :lol: I'll watch it tonight. ;)

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

Originally posted by Atoman@Dec 24 2005, 08:22 PM
Thanks for quoting me, I'm honored. Great, but sad episode. I prefer the 60's robot house episode the best. Much more fitting for Christmas. :lol: I'll watch it tonight. ;)

Did the Chistmas episode have also something to do with Denkou?

I think I'll watch The Light Ray Robot to fall asleep tonight! :)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”