Today is the day!

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Danny
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Danny » 19 years ago

Well, I did not manage to pick up the Collectors Tin, but I did see volumes one, two, and three selling singularly.

Did anyone manage to get it today? I was hoping tonight was going to be an Astro-thon, but it looks like it will have to order it online and wait until it gets delivered.
three and a half years.. for what?

Haruka-chan
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Haruka-chan » 19 years ago

Mine is a Christmas present....i have to wait till then :cry:
Kimi no kokoro de, catch the future!
[url=\'http://www.suanime.org\']SUAnime[/url]

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 19 years ago

I just ordered the tin box online. :lol:

I also watched a preview of it on the Madman site. :wahah: :wahah: :wahah: Holy crap, that's beautiful. I've been use to the washed out vhs tapes with low-fi sound, but now it's been totaly restored, pure phsycidelic eye candy. Wow, what we've been missing. The sound is great too. I also ordered a nice phillips region free dvd player from Amazon. Man I can't wait 'till the dvd comes.

dandemonium
Kokoro Robot

Postby dandemonium » 19 years ago

I bought this on the first day it was released. I did a bit of shopping around and found that Atlantic DVD had it the cheapest at $164.95. Ezy DVD had it for $189 and JB Hi-Fi (Adelaide City) had it for $179.

Anyway, this boxset is amazing - all 51 dubbed episodes from the 80s series plus an awesome bonus DVD full of extra goodies :wahah: . One of the things I'm really impressed with is the inclusion of the undubbed second episode (which I had previously seen, but only in really bad quality).

I guess my only gripe with this set (and it is a rather small gripe) is that the episodes are not in the order in which they were originally aired in Australia (which ended with the double episode "The Greatest Robot In The World"), they are in the Japanese airing order (which ended with "Astro's First Love"). Personally, i thought "The Greatest Robot In The World" two-part episode was a great closing episode and a perfect way to end the series.

Aside from that, this boxset is soo awesome, I would highly recommend it to all Astroboy fans.
<span style=\'color:white\'>-=d=-</span>

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 19 years ago

Thanks for the info about the order of episodes Dandemonium. I have the vhs tapes and there're in the order you prefer. I agree that the 2 part Astro vs. Pluto is a good ending to the series, but the problem with that order is that the Astro vs. Atlas episodes don't make any sense out of order. One ep. has Livian saving Atlas from being frozen in ice, and in the next episode you see Atlas being frozen in ice. <_< Hmm, backwards.

Man I'm glad I ordered the tin box. :lol:

Danny
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Danny » 19 years ago

Wish Me luck people. I just rang Big-W in the next town (about an hours drive from me) and they said they have "Heaps of copies" and they are $160. I am going to venture into the big outside, brave the drive, and hope I can pick up a set for myself!

Will post here again once I get back.

[edit: 5:20pm] HAZAAH!!
I am now the proud owner of the 80's Collectors Tin. I have not opened it yet so I am not sure what the contents are like, but the tin box is t3h aws0me! The Astro Head on the front of lid of the Tin is actually pressed into the tin, not just painted on. The one I got is Shrink-wrapped and looks to be totally flawless paint-wize, altho the seam down the side does have a slight 'bulge' in the tin. It is not damaged tho (No creases or dents) so I am hoping that once I open it that slight bulge will just pop out with a bit of a push.

Will comment in a few days as to the actual DVD content in a few days once I have been thru it all. :)
three and a half years.. for what?

ozfiz
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby ozfiz » 19 years ago

i got my box set today .. my boyfriend brought it for me as a chirstmas present.. so i am not allowed to have it till then :( ..
i got mine for k-mart for $158 plus staff discount (hooray)

cant wait till christmas so that i can watch it :)

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 19 years ago

:wahah: :wahah: YESSSSSSSSS! :) :)
The 'Astroboy Deluxe Tin Box' has safely arrived at my home just at this very morning, and despite of this item being sent half way around the globe, not the slightest scratch or dent is showing in the Tin Box. Same goes for its contents, the DVDs and the book - not the slightest scratch on the DVDs' surfaces, and also the book looks awesome with its brilliant Astro-images (...and they ARE brilliant, I think I can tell by now as a Lythographic Pressman ;) ).

The first DVD I watched right away was the extra one - the 11th.
:o and... Boy, this thing is a jewel!!!

All DVDs contain a far better video quality than the one known from the Siren tapes, the picture frames are clear-cut with bright colors and the DVDs' menus are clearly arranged and easy to navigate. This Tin Set really has got a Place Of Honor for sure among my Astroboy stuff B) .
I won't tell anything more about those DVDs to prevent spoilers, just this: as what I've seen so far this release has overclimbed my boldest expectations.
Get this awesome collector's treat before it becomes a rarity and will be sold on eBay for 700 bucks!

Thank You, Madman Ent.! :)
「頼むから、仕事をさせてくれ」
- 手塚治虫先生の最後の言葉

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”