Different Versions - Canada???

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
thaMANSTA
Kokoro Robot

Postby thaMANSTA » 19 years ago

So what are the different versions of Astro Boy? I just checked out an episode from the internet "The Light Ray Robot" and I noticed that the characters voices were all different from what I remember as a child in Canada. And the names were different as well. I distinctly remember the name Prof. Peabody, but in this episode they are calling him Dr. Elefun?!?! And the "teacher" had a much coarser voice as I remember him.

So what are the different versions?!?! Did Canada have its own version?

Thanks,
-thaMANSTA

wildpegasus
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby wildpegasus » 19 years ago

Originally posted by thaMANSTA@Dec 19 2004, 12:25 PM
So what are the different versions of Astro Boy? I just checked out an episode from the internet "The Light Ray Robot" and I noticed that the characters voices were all different from what I remember as a child in Canada. And the names were different as well. I distinctly remember the name Prof. Peabody, but in this episode they are calling him Dr. Elefun?!?! And the "teacher" had a much coarser voice as I remember him.

Thanks,
-thaMANSTA

Yes, we did have a different version. Better dub too if I recall. At least some names were different such as Peabody.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 19 years ago

Originally posted by thaMANSTA@Dec 18 2004, 09:25 PM

Thanks,
-thaMANSTA

I never heard of any Prof. Peabody in any translation of Astroboy, which is not saying much, though, because I only know of the original names and the ones associated with the Americanized versions. I do know that Mr. Peabody is the time-travelling dog featured in the Bullwinkle show. :lol:

jarvic
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby jarvic » 19 years ago

Yeah apparently in this Canadian series, Astro's sister's name is Sally instead of Uran... thing is, I don't remember ever seeing this version... unless I always missed this version...I've lived in eastern Ontario all my life... I am certain the channel I watched the show on was Global TV out of Toronto... plus... I remember discussing with my grade 2 classmates (this would have been around 1986 or so) and having a giggle about that name... YOO-RAIN? :lol:

I am also only recently recalling a very faint memory of an arguement between fellow classmates that the name was sally/uran/sally!/Uran!/Sally!U-RAIN!/SAL-LY! But I'm very hesitant to believe this "memory" as I think I am concentrating too hard trying to remember this canadian dub, and my mind is making this memory up. Make sense?

As it comes down to it, I'm going to have to actually see this canadian dub to trigger memory functions... I honestly don't remember it... ..but... "If you say so..."

J

thaMANSTA
Kokoro Robot

Postby thaMANSTA » 19 years ago

The other thing I noticed is that the intro is different on the episodes I'm seeing now. The Canadian version had a different intro, where they show him being created, with a voice-over giving the 15 second version of "The Birth of Astro". The rest of the credits were also slightly different. They don't show him beating those other monsters, just him lifting that giant red guy up into the air.

Anybody know where I can find the Canadian version? The voices just don't sound right! :(

jarvic
Rocket Ball Champion

OMG! :o When I read that it was an instant flashback. THAT I CERTAINLY DO REMEMBER! It was at the very beginning of the show... in fact I thought it was actually a commercial, not part of the show... but I actually do remember that part... although I haven't seen it that much... Well it looks like I must've seen both series... but.. I only remember the earliest episodes having that intro... I mean, you know that Robot Circus Episode with that scary-looking electrocuting hamster wheel... I remember that intro on that episode... actually, I think it was a 2-parter or something happened where they did this different version intro and then they were standing over the wheel...

auuugh, it's so long ago! It'll be a miracle if we see this different version again... even if it's just an mpeg or something :cry:

wildpegasus
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby wildpegasus » 19 years ago

Originally posted by jarvic@Dec 19 2004, 03:50 PM
Yeah apparently in this Canadian series, Astro's sister's name is Sally instead of Uran...

The name is actually Sarah. I'm extreamly sure on this.

The big robot in the "tournament" battle that gave Astro all those headaches was Commonturk.

Professor Peabody was indeed the correct name.

I'm pretty sure we also had a French version. We often did with shows.

Cool Little Tidbit -- My friend remembers there being differences in the editing of Astroboy on the different channels.

Keep on remembering guys. This is an interesting thread.

Anapan
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Anapan » 19 years ago

The one thing I remember well from that show was the report astro made at the end of each episode to a mainframe computer called "Geronimo". Professor Peabody would say "Astro, you're just in time, Geronimo has been waiting for your report." After which Astro would give a short synposis, and make a tiny error in some detail of the report. Then a female announcer would say "take out a pen and a peice of paper, and write down which err, I repeat, which error astro made in his report to computer Geronimo in order to play with you".

jarvic
Rocket Ball Champion

OMG I remember that too... it was amost like a pop quiz to see if you were paying attention... I remember doing that but then not knowing what to do next... that and I also remember at the end of certain episodes there being a teaser for the next week's episode... I know one episode on Anapan's server has a teaser at the end showing The Baby Elephant Pook, and that teaser I remember 100%, I don't recall any other teasers either...

This is nuts... it's amost at the point where I want to write Global TV or CBC and see if they might have something in a deep dark vault in the sub-sub basement hidden behind a furnace... As far as I know, Global TV is *STILL* showing Inspector Gadget, which has been on for what seems like centuries now... but I remember I started watching it about when they started showing it... which is I think when this can. version of Astro ended... I dunno... (they don't even show all the eps of I.G., btw). I think I remember Astroboy being on saturday afternoons along with other cartoons like Teddy Ruxpin, Eewoks, Droids, and I don't recall anything else.... Oh something else I remember, was that I think the regular english version was shown during daylight hours, but I distinctly recall watching that canadian intro (with the narration) and it being dark outside... yes! I remember it being dark outside and watching that can. intro at my grandparent's house... and on a separate occaison I recall watching the end thingamabob with Geronimo, at my family's old house, and it was dark outside too... now it might have been winter at the time so it could have been as early as 5:30, 6pm... but I remember for certain it was dark out for this can. version... And the regular english version which I can recall much better probably due to it being on the air longer, I remember it being on during daylight hours...

Here comes another memory... I think i recall watching the regular series during daylight hours on the tv in my room... which I first got back in 1990 but I'll have to get back to you on that date to be sure, earliest possible would've been 1989... but I cetainly remember the regular intro, watching it on the tv that was in my room, and it still being daylight outside as the sun shines right on your eyes when you tried to watch tv and you had to either close the curtain or move your head out of the beam every 5 minutes or so...

I remember the "usual" english version much better... Elefun/Uran etc... but the memories are returning, alas only after someone else remembers them too.. :(

Sorry for the long post, I'm just rambling, typing things as they pop back into memory... Can anyone else confirm that the can. version of astroboy was shown pretty much afterdark? I'm fairly certain of this...

J

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”