I WANNA ADOPT HIM!!

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 19 years ago

Originally posted by astro_mcfly@Jan 14 2005, 09:29 PM
I also have noticed that people don't like to reply to me on message boards.

Don't worry too much for that, many posts are unanswered, otherwise discussions would grow very fast ;)
People often notice events that confirm what they expect, and don't notice other events. Since you expect to be unnoticed, you see that many of your posts remain unanswered, and don't see it is the same for other people too. Don't see that as a criticism on you, everyone naturally do that, including myself ;)
Here is an interesting article on the Wikipedia on the confirmation bias.
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

astro_mcfly
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby astro_mcfly » 19 years ago

Thank you. I know it's not only me, but... Ah.. Never mind. I'll try to stay on topic. I'm always yelled at for getting off a bit. that might be only on the BTTF boards, though. :unsure:

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 19 years ago

Originally posted by astro_mcfly@Jan 15 2005, 06:29 AM
Very strange... I remember when I first moved to Livonia. Life was good until then. I don't know why, but when I was in third grade, and even now, people just don't treat me right. I was really sad yesterday, so I took my 11 inch Astro toy off my dresser, and just stood there hugging him. I just wish someone would give me a hug sometimes. :cry: I can relate very well. I've been 5' 2'' since May, and I'm still young. I also have noticed that people don't like to reply to me on message boards.

Hi Astro_mcfly and welcome.

Your post touched me :cry: , another kindred spirit, I'll answer your posts and anyone else who needs a hug. I know, how about a cyberhug? Ok everyone group hug(with Astro in the middle). :lol: Astro: "MMM, feel comforted. :) "

:lol:

astro_mcfly
Rocket Ball Champion

Hello. I just got back from a school activity night. I'm really upset, though. I was sad for no reason, and then now I can't talk to my friends. Sad. How about that. A cyber hug. I could really use that. I'm feeling so alone. :cry: I think I'm gonna give Astro a hug. After all, I think he's the only one who understands. That picture of Astro made me want to cry, because it reminds me of when I got seperated from my family at Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor. I just sat there, all alone on the front stairs, with the snow in my face as it blew through the air.

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Hang in there, we're always here for you. ;)

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 19 years ago

This replying thing has always been the curse of online boards. Of course everyone of us would like to have a response to his/her posts, but everybody has different particular interests concerning Astroboy which might not match to certain topics being raised.

I know the bad feeling of a post being unanswered, and the temptation is existing to regard this as personal attacks, but that would be completely wrong since in this forum only 0,2% of the posts' disregards are meant to deliberately 'hurt' anyone.
Like Fafner said, every member posting in this forum has to deal with 'getting no reply', and I personally think that it's important to regard ourselves as not too seriously.
For instance one member might say to himself: 'If my post/topic remains unreplied - :) nevermind. If I got a reply - :wahah: cool, thanks!'.
I too had to learn that in the course of my appearance on this forum, and frankly said, there were times I really went insecure about my own posts because my knowledge in english actually is very limited. Thus, when I hadn't gotten any replies to my posts I automatically used to question myself: 'Did I expressed myself in the wrong way? Have I just said something insulting to anyone?'.
;) It took a while til I had learned the rules of online boards.
The doctrine is: Don't take yourself and your posts too serious, cause Astroboy mainly was created to bring joy, love and fun, and not to cause distress about unreplied posts. :lol:
(God, that sounds lofty! ;) :wacko:

In this sense: Kimino kokoro a te, catch da future!

Now, let's get back on topic.
Does anyone else want to adopt some poor lonely Astroboys? :cry:
「頼むから、仕事をさせてくれ」
- 手塚治虫先生の最後の言葉

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 19 years ago

Sorry if I prolong the off-topic...
Since yesterday I thought more on it and I think I found the exact origin of the feeling of being unnoticed in forum. In real life, when discussing with other people, it is easy to know if you are noticed or not. Even if no one answer, you can see that on people's behaviour (a smile if it was a joke, someone looking at you, ...). In a forum the only way of communication is writing and nothing else. So someone will read your post, maybe find it interesting, but may not put an answer because he/she has nothing relevent to say about it.
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles

Star Wars - Exile

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Ok, I'll tie all this in.

Hey Astro_mcfly, you said you had an 11" Astro plush. Could you possibly scan this for us? Maybe it's a plush we've never seen. I have 3 Astro plushes and 2 Uran plushes. Just curious to see what yours looks like. Some of us may want to get that one too. ;)

Thanks. :lol:

astro_mcfly
Rocket Ball Champion

Oh. He's not a plush. He's a plastic action figure. If you want, I'll take a picture for you. I'll consider buying the 17 inch plush, but that may be hard to arrange because of my age. :lol: Yeah, I'm probably a whole lot younger than you all. It doesn't matter. :D Is there a regular store in my area that sells the plush?
(I live in Livonia, Michigan. That's in the U.S.A. Great Lakes state.)

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 19 years ago

Originally posted by astro_mcfly@Jan 14 2005, 03:29 PM
Very strange... I remember when I first moved to Livonia. Life was good until then. I don't know why, but when I was in third grade, and even now, people just don't treat me right. I was really sad yesterday, so I took my 11 inch Astro toy off my dresser, and just stood there hugging him. I just wish someone would give me a hug sometimes. :cry: I can relate very well. I've been 5' 2'' since May, and I'm still young. I also have noticed that people don't like to reply to me on message boards.

I can relate to being an outcast or outsider. I was crippled at age 3, but was ok with other kids until they were old enough to realize that not only was I different, but inferior. I was tormented by them from the 2nd to the 10th grade & beyond. They ridiculed me, mocked me, used me, but worst of all, they took pleasure in my pain. :cry:

The thing about the plush toy is that it will never criticize you. I am 46 & still suffer from an inferiority complex (perhaps I should call it something else, but what?), wondering if people, even my parents really love me or merely tolerate me. My advice to you is that you do not allow this to alienate you. Regardless of the pain, you must not take the easy way out. Do not become a hermit. The more people you know, the better the chances that someone will accept you. I sometimes wish I could be a little kid again, & enjoy my mother's tender loving care and reassurance when I am sad. But fantasy can only take you so far. Even if people are cruel to you, do not even think about it. Rather, you should try to ignore it & get along as best you can. Because if you become alienated now, you very likely will be for life. My brother is able-bodied, good-looking, and has a great job. But he took after me, and felt that he was inadequate. at 40 he is single & does not even know any single women. Hence, you must deal with it now.

Please feel free to send me a personal message anytime you need someone to talk to.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”