The new dvd set

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 19 years ago

I got my DVD series today. I'm pretty happy with it, it seems good quality for 10 episodes per disc.

The "Remaking of Astro Boy" documentary was ... interesting. I have a newfound disrespect for the American distributors.

At the start of the documentary they show a US TV representative (Mark Handler, a Disney exec) telling the Japanese anime makers it's "too intense and dramatic and will not air on US television". He basically pressured them into making changes for the series to be more pallatable to a US market, and let them know the US TV broadcast codes. "Why do they have to make a children's show so sad or dramatic?" was the US side. They didn't even want to show a superhero going to school. (! ;)
There's a particular scene where the American guy starts talking about a child's thought process on implied violence. It comes across as a typic US television rep who is so out of touch with everything but ratings and money. Overall, they wanted to focus on the hero aspect of Astro rather than the child aspect.

In a final twist of the knife, the US didn't even show half the series on TV.

Apparently Mark spent a few years with them, so I don't know what their relationship was like or how the Japanese felt about the whole thing, but having seen the documentary it's really made it clear to my why the series was lacking. Its soul was extracted by a Disney exec.

Leave the making of anime to the Japanese, I say.
:angry:

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 19 years ago

Thank you, DrFrag. That's sad. It could have been so great! Well, in 25 years they'll make another series and maybe we'll finally have it all.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Oh, there was one good bit. They showed scenes from the animation process, and one animator demonstrates how to draw Astro. :)

Astro Forever
Administrator

Originally posted by DrFrag@Apr 13 2005, 10:50 PM
Oh, there was one good bit. They showed scenes from the animation process, and one animator demonstrates how to draw Astro. :)

Then I'm jealous... :wacko:

Is there anything that could be described here? ;)

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

The artist is Shinji Seya, Animation Director and Chief Charactor (sic) Designer.

It's more a demonstration of someone drawing Astroboy than a guide on how to do it. They skipped some of the drawing, such as Astro's hairline and eye-height guideline. There are many things that need to be watched for, such as the size and shape of Astro's sideburns, and nuances of size and perspective (ie. don't draw him crosseyed like the Dragonball characters). Let's Draw Manga: Astroboy is a much better guide if you want to learn the techniques.

First draw a circle, then you add one cheek.

Draw a straight line from the cheek and add the ear.

In the middle spot you draw his nose.

This is his hairline, and later you add the two cowlicks.

His eyes ... and you have the basic outline of the character.

He only has five eyelashes. Add the pupils and the twinkles in his eyes.

And there you have it.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Wow, thank you very much! I'm really bad at drawing but I'll give it a try, it just looks fun! :)

O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby O2Destroyer » 19 years ago

Originally posted by Atoman@Apr 12 2005, 10:02 AM
Only problem is, it's a region 3 dvd, which means you'll need a region free dvd player if outside Asia. I have one. It's worth it. You can then buy all the real Tezuka dvds with no American tampering.

You're gonna need a region free player anyway to play the fantastic madman 80's set. A small price to pay I think.

Thylacine 2000: What a great login name! Hah, I was absentmindedly leafing through a 70's science encyclopedia and it said they were 'endangered'...hahahaha.
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 19 years ago

Originally posted by O2Destroyer@Apr 20 2005, 01:51 AM
You're gonna need a region free player anyway to play the fantastic madman 80's set. A small price to pay I think.

Yes, I have the Ausie tin box set, it's great. Especially the first 2 Japanese eps. with English subs. Atlas Boy rules. :lol:

O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby O2Destroyer » 19 years ago

It is funny, I find myself owning a region free player for very specific reasons--in this case, Madman in australia is one of them. They are putting out a lot of stuff; some is available elsewhere, but some isn't. Just picked up their release of Godzilla 54 which isn't aviailable anywhere legally with an english subtitle. I know they also have Dark Water out and a few other films that don't have LEGAL versions available yet. They might also be re-releasing titles, but in better versions, like their copy of Princess Mononoke for instance: I'm sure it looks a lot cleaner than the scrubby US version.
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

The Region 4 DVD market is surprisingly good when you look at the figures for language and population. There's about 580 million people, but less than 30 million live in countries with English as the official language. That's about a tenth of Region 1.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”