Where is Tenma at the end of the last episode?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 19 years ago

Hi everybody, this is my first visit here - I did post as a guest a bit earlier today though!

I recently found out that the most recent series was playing on my French Canadian network. The episodes are not quite in the right order and to complicate things even more, I just saw the last episodes and now the first ones are running again - I am so thankful!!! :lol: I didn't really like the first few episodes I saw but after seeing more of them I have to admit that I became interested in it, even if it'll never be as charming as the 80's series was to me!

One thing I didn't understand is where is Tenma in the last scene, while O'Shay is doing is speech? He's in a kind of bedroom, looking at pics of Astro and Tobio. Is he at home? In jail?

Oh and let me guess, O'Shay was named after his japanese surname... :rolleyes: Besides Astro, none of the character in this French version has the same name they had in the French version I saw in the 80's but maybe my brain will eventually get used to it! :cry:

Before reading this forum, I kinda felt silly to be moved, at my age, by the scene in which Astro forgives Tenma... :unsure: But I feel better now that I found more people who share my love for that little character! :wub:

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 19 years ago

:) Hi Astro forever, and welcome to the forum.

One thing I didn't understand is where is Tenma in the last scene, while O'Shay is doing is speech? He's in a kind of bedroom, looking at pics of Astro and Tobio. Is he at home? In jail?

I know which scene you're refering to. To me, it definately looks like a jail room.

Before reading this forum, I kinda felt silly to be moved, at my age, by the scene in which Astro forgives Tenma... But I feel better now that I found more people who share my love for that little character!

I felt the same way when I had rediscovered Astroboy, but after watching 3 episodes I was totally addicted to that character again. :lol:

:) Share whatever you like to about Astroboy.
「頼むから、仕事をさせてくれ」
- 手塚治虫先生の最後の言葉

crrrsjss
Kokoro Robot

Postby crrrsjss » 19 years ago

I was wondering where Reno lived since Dr.O'shay was his gardian. He usually shows once in a while but he doesnt show up when in Dr.O'Shay's house.

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 19 years ago

Originally posted by Astro forever@Apr 1 2005, 07:43 PM
Hi everybody, this is my first visit here - I did post as a guest a bit earlier today though!

I recently found out that the most recent series was playing on my French Canadian network. The episodes are not quite in the right order and to complicate things even more, I just saw the last episodes and now the first ones are running again - I am so thankful!!! :lol: I didn't really like the first few episodes I saw but after seeing more of them I have to admit that I became interested in it, even if it'll never be as charming as the 80's series was to me!

Oh and let me guess, O'Shay was named after his japanese surname... :rolleyes: Besides Astro, none of the character in this French version has the same name they had in the French version I saw in the 80's but maybe my brain will eventually get used to it! :cry:

Before reading this forum, I kinda felt silly to be moved, at my age, by the scene in which Astro forgives Tenma... :unsure: But I feel better now that I found more people who share my love for that little character! :wub:

Hi Astro forever,

It might be a jail room, but to me since he was insane, he was probably in a mental institution, the room did look a bit too nice for your average jail cell.

I'm an adult in my 30's and I cried too at the last episode and others in the 60's 80's and recent series, he's the most emotional cartoon character ranging the whole spectrum of human emotions. The American team that worked on the new series in Japan said it seemed like and adult show and asked the Japanese staff members: "Why does a cartoon show have to be so tragic, sad and serious?" The Japanese reply was: "Because he's Astro. He's always been that way".

So don't be ashamed of a good cry with this and other Tezuka shows. There're adult shows too. They show them all in prime time in Japan.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Originally posted by Atoman@Apr 2 2005, 05:10 PM

Hi Astro forever,

It might be a jail room, but to me since he was insane, he was probably in a mental institution, the room did look a bit too nice for your average jail cell.

I'm an adult in my 30's and I cried too at the last episode and others in the 60's 80's and recent series, he's the most emotional cartoon character ranging the whole spectrum of human emotions. The American team that worked on the new series in Japan said it seemed like and adult show and asked the Japanese staff members: "Why does a cartoon show have to be so tragic, sad and serious?" The Japanese reply was: "Because he's Astro. He's always been that way".

So don't be ashamed of a good cry with this and other Tezuka shows. There're adult shows too. They show them all in prime time in Japan.

For some reason I already felt a bit silly to like Astro so much when I was 7 or 8. I guess I couldn't find any logical reason and that made me feel crazy! :huh:

Now, see, I'm still hiding the fact that I record the episodes each day these days... :p h34r: Thanks to those silent DVD recorders, nobody here noticed because I can't see myself explaining why I am recording a cartoon on a children network! :lol: I look already strange enough since I am up earlier than usual in the morning! :P

It's not so much that I am ashamed now, it's more that I don't know if I could really explain what you just told me to somebody who never watched the show in its childhood... I'm not sure I'd be understood! :lol: But awwwwwwwwwwww he's so cute and it's a pleasure to see him again! :D

I've yet to cry but I just watched the "Save the classmate" episode and that moved something inside me! I can't believe that all those years passed and I still remembered some sequences almost perfectly, and I think I had seen it maybe twice in my life...

And I too thought the room looked to nice for a jail cell... That makes me feel better I guess because I couldn't imagine Astro's father in jail... I forgave him too! :lol:

One thing that so far seems different to me in both color series is the "moral"... I mean in both series it's about how everybody should be equal, but *so far* I feel that the 80's message was more subtle and effective, like in that school epidose I've just seen... Astro didn't say to his classmates "hey we are all equals, robots should have the same rights and if you knew me you'd find out what's really inside me". He just let his actions speak for themselves. So I don't know if it's the translation, but I've heard O'Shay or Astro say openly something like that so often that it bugs me... It seems unnecessary to me. But then again I haven't watched all the episodes...

Latu
On a Flight into Space

Postby Latu » 19 years ago

astroboy......................its just weird...........the show consumed me into loving him.......

i have heard of the show a couple of times in manga and other stuff but now I am really interseted in it.
Since i always watch toonami on the cartoon network i saw the comercial............

the comercial had said "the show that had started it all...... it looked so awesome i was dying to see it. thats when i came here. i watched some episodes that were on toonami.

1 thing i hate is that toonami moved to only saturday. its ok but i missed it from being on everyday. but i shouldn't say i hate that because it would tie in with my homework because of my new school hours.

Long story short I love astroboy now and if i didn't i probably wouldn't be posting here. B)
"Astro, you must exceed the limitations that humans cannot!
You must be go beyond nationality, ethnicity,
pilosophy, and religion,
starvation and poverty,
and war!
Exceed these limitations created by man!
You must fly high! Higher than any human has ever flown before!
To reach for the future that no human has been able to so far!"
:tenma: :astro:

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 19 years ago

Originally posted by Astro forever@Apr 2 2005, 06:55 PM
For some reason I already felt a bit silly to like Astro so much when I was 7 or 8. I guess I couldn't find any logical reason and that made me feel crazy! :huh:

My theory is it's his combination of sentience, purity and strength. I think it holds a great attraction that isn't seen anywhere else (apart from Jesus, I suppose).

Now, see, I'm still hiding the fact that I record the episodes each day these days... :p h34r: Thanks to those silent DVD recorders, nobody here noticed because I can't see myself explaining why I am recording a cartoon on a children network! :lol: I look already strange enough since I am up earlier than usual in the morning! :P

My family know about my addiction. :lol: I don't know what they think, but I get plenty of Astroboy presents for my birthday and Christmas. B) Even my mother-in-law made me an Astroboy birthday cake.

I've yet to cry but I just watched the "Save the classmate" episode and that moved something inside me! I can't believe that all those years passed and I still remembered some sequences almost perfectly, and I think I had seen it maybe twice in my life...

The scene that affects me the most is where Photar yells out "Give me more sunlight!" before he dies. :cry: And also when Morlock get left behind on the moon in The Wreck of The Titan. He was a greedy bad guy, he realised he was going to die and kept calling out for help as sunset came.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Your theory seems right, DrFrag! :)

I have no memories of the moments you are talking about for now but no need to tell me anything, I'll discover them again soon! :wahah: I'm starting to die in anticipation!

I just understood why people were raving so much about Astro's English voice. I think it's by far the cutest! :D

Astro Forever
Administrator

Originally posted by DrFrag@Apr 2 2005, 09:40 AM
My theory is it's his combination of sentience, purity and strength. I think it holds a great attraction that isn't seen anywhere else (apart from Jesus, I suppose).

Jesus?

I guess you all discovered it before me, but the idea just came to my mind...

In episode #50 of the last series, Tenma explains to Astro how he purposely put obstacles in Astro's way and then Astro says he forgives him.

I heard about a similar story somewhere... ;)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”